PDA

View Full Version : First Craft Show - What Packaging?

Burt Alcantara
09-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I'll be doing my first craft show Thanksgiving Weekend. I intend to sell birdhouses, bottle stoppers and finials as icicles. What is the appropriate packaging? Boxes, tissue paper, nothing?

Thanks,
Burt

Harvey M. Taylor
09-07-2009, 1:35 PM
I usually take several plastic grocery bags and put their purchase in that. They appreciate that if they buy something elsewhere and the vendor doesnt supply packaging.I wish many sales upon you.Max

Brian George
09-07-2009, 6:11 PM
I use tissue paper in colors along wwith a handled bag, if they want one. Many people are satisfied with just the tissue paper. I cut it in half to make it go farther.
I just purchased a couple hundred velour cloth drawstring bags for my bottle stoppers and bird houses sized 4" x 5" at $0.42 a piece. A great place to throw in your business card...

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2009, 6:14 PM
Burt - I haven't done any shows yet so can't offer any advice - just wanted to jump in and wish you success with your upcoming show! Hope you sell out of everything and take orders for twice that!

Steve Kubien
09-07-2009, 7:09 PM
I use paper bags which have a rope-like handle on them. I have a few sizes and got them from a gallery I deal with. They have a sticker on them with the gallery's name, address etc as well as a sticker made from my business card. The gallery is happy with the advertising. Add some tissue paper in bright colours (the colours of the gallery in my case) and you are all set.

Good luck,
Steve

Richard Madison
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Consider white tissue paper for ornaments that may be stored long term. Have read that colors may bleed onto the finish. And some folks do appreciate that we are recycling the plastic grocery bags. Good luck with your show!

Roger Savatteri
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Newsprint paper and string.

Go to your local art supply store and get a stack of newsprint, it's inexpensive paper that artists use for quick charcoal sketches. It's a little stronger than tissue paper.

It's a nice clean look.

Steven DeMars
09-07-2009, 11:38 PM
In the past when my wife I moved we always went to the local newspaper and asked for the "END ROLLS". We wrapped everything in that stuff . . .

It seems that the equipment that is used to print newspapers is very sophisticated in the sense that it can detect nearing the end of a roll.
It alarms and the pressmen load another 2000 pound roll of paper.

A typical END Roll will give you 15lbs to 20 lbs of clean white newsprint paper . .

Best part, it's free . . .

Check with your news paper . . . Call ask for the press room/floor . . .

Good luck on your first show and every show after . . .

Steve:)

Roger Savatteri
09-07-2009, 11:41 PM
In the past when my wife I moved we always went to the local newspaper and asked for the "END ROLLS". We wrapped everything in that stuff . . .

It seems that the equipment that is used to print newspapers is very sophisticated in the sense that it can detect nearing the end of a roll.
It alarms and the pressmen load another 2000 pound roll of paper.

A typical END Roll will give you 15lbs to 20 lbs of clean white newsprint paper . .

Best part, it's free . . .

Check with your news paper . . . Call ask for the press room/floor . . .

Good luck on your first show and every show after . . .

Steve:)

Steve, that's a clever thought!

sean m. titmas
09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I did a trade show last year and had some small items for sale in addition to our hidden doors and we used newspaper and paper bags to wrap them up. It was cheap enough yet worked fine for protecting the goods.

Burt Alcantara
09-08-2009, 12:28 AM
I like the drawstring bag. Found a few sites that sell them rather inexpensively. All good suggestions.

Newprint sounds interesting but I'm unsure how to use it for this application. Can you give examples, or better, photos?

Thanks,
Burt

sean m. titmas
09-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Newprint sounds interesting but I'm unsure how to use it for this application. Can you give examples, or better, photos?

Thanks,
Burt

I rolled up the little boxes and bowls in paper, just like you do when you pack up glasses and dishes for moving.

i also crumple up some paper in the bottom of the bag first. basically you want to make it soft and cushy for the purchases.

Steve Trauthwein
09-08-2009, 8:05 AM
If you go to Office Max you can buy a box of small plastic bags for under $20. They will last you a long time. I also bought white tissue paper and torn it into several sizes to wrap various items.

Regards, Steve

Bruce McElhaney
09-08-2009, 8:47 AM
Your display is the important thing at Art & Craft shows. Wrapping or Packaging is not a big deal. Most small stuff, like bottle stoppers, will go into purse or pocket. Some folks even bring their own bags to shows, or already have a bag from another vendor. I often have a bit of tissue paper and offer plastic bags if needed. Grocery store paper bags are also good for larger items. I try to go green and use whatever I have on hand.

John Terefenko
09-08-2009, 2:02 PM
When I do craft shows I have a variety of things. For my birdhouse ornaments and stoppers I use the plastic boxes I get at Craft Supply USA.. They do 2 things. Protect the delicate ornament because they get handled so much at shows and they are a good way to package both when selling and if they want to store them after the holiday season they have a anice box. I add the little extra things like my name tag on the bottom and also the white felt in the bottom. Always include the business card.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0486.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0485.jpg

As for bags I get my bags and also a large box of wraping paper for cheap on line. I get different size plastic bags because I also do and sell alot of scrollsawn items I need a variety. I use the wraping paper to give a little protection to the item and I stress to the people to carry with care and not bang around against their leg and other things they carry. Not responsible after it leaves my table. I can not carry boxes for all my items because that would be wasteful and just impossible. Good luck on the shows. It is alot of fun.