PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

Mark Hix
09-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I have been working on this hollow form for a few days. I think it needs a collar and/or a finial and would appreciate your input.

It is canarywood, 6"X4". 2 coats of danish oil so far. I am leaning towards a low, almost flat collar, maybe a darker burl. My wife wants an ebonized collar and finial.

I would really appreciate some input.

Terry Murphy
09-07-2009, 11:09 AM
What the wife says!

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Mark - I agree with your wife! Black would highlight the color of the hollow form. When you turn the collar/finial - take your time and take into consideration the overall height of the piece and thickness of the finial.

Good luck with it! Finials can be tricky! I've found that a simple design works best!

curtis rosche
09-07-2009, 11:32 AM
the grain on that looks so cool. make it look like the one side of it is drooping down

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree. Really nice looking HF. If it were mine I would put a low profile collar with no finial but if the wife has spoken.

Curt Fuller
09-07-2009, 1:12 PM
That's pretty nice as it is. But you have plenty of opportunity to experiment. Just hide the glue bottle until you've exhausted your possibilities.

Bill Bolen
09-07-2009, 1:40 PM
The wife ALWAYS knows best! In this case I agree with her...Bill..

Jeff Nicol
09-07-2009, 3:17 PM
I like the shape with out the collar or anything added. I would make a bead around the opening about 3/8 to a 1/2" from the opening or put two v grooves what ever distance apart you like but not to big and texture the band created by the grooves. This gives your eyes something to draw them to and the fingers will like the tactile feel of the texture and grooves. Next time like Steve said plan for the collar or finial.

More ideas,

Jeff

ROY DICK
09-07-2009, 5:27 PM
WIFE,WIFE,WIFE.

Roy

robert hainstock
09-07-2009, 5:58 PM
at the finished peace would be appreaciated. Rember SWMBO. :eek::)
Bob

Mark Hix
09-08-2009, 9:50 AM
Looks like my wife called you guys and told you she was the boss:). Curt's suggestion that I hide the glue made sense to me. I will make all the parts and let my wife decide. I really appreciate the input.