PDA

View Full Version : easier scoops

Mark Hix
09-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I was looking for an easier way to hollow out the inside of scoops than a jam chuck. Unless you can make each scoop exactly the same size, you have to make new ones all the time. I tried several different ways to snug up a scoop in a chuck that was too loose but nothing was satisfactory. I even tried hot glue thinking I could soften it to get the scoop out (hey, you never know until you try!).

This is what I came up with. It is scrap cedar from a neighbor's fence, I glued a waste block on the back so it fits my chuck and does not tie up a faceplate. I cut a groove for the handle to fit in and turned a hole for the scoop to rest in.

The scrap of maple split on the second one because I cranked it pretty tight. The split actually made it easier to use because I can just flip it up to take the scoop out instead of taking it almost all the way off. I will probably replace it with a thicker, grooved piece in the future.

The hole in the middle is turned with sloped sides. It worked equally well for scoops that were 1.25 to 1.75 inches in diameter. I mount the scoop, check to be sure it is centered and then turn. You have to watch the handle length, I made a couple that were almost too small to fit.

I have been doing them in batches, the last batch of 4 took about 15 minutes to hollow.

Larry Marley
09-07-2009, 10:56 AM
That's a good idea Mark.
Thanks for sharing this.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Great idea Mark! Sure makes hollowing a heck of a lot easier!

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing Mark. Great idea.

ROY DICK
09-07-2009, 1:43 PM
Mark,
What a very good idea. I will get that a shot.(or turn).
Thanks a lot.

Roy

Jeff Nicol
09-07-2009, 3:12 PM
I have some scoops to make and I will give it a try!

Thanks,

Jeff

Bill Bolen
09-07-2009, 5:05 PM
Thanks for sharing the great idea! I too will give that a shot. I know what you mean about a new form fitting chuck for each scoop. That really turned me off after doing just a few. Thanks again
...Bill...

Chris Rae
09-07-2009, 5:24 PM
Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Roger Wilson
09-07-2009, 6:54 PM
That's very creative. You might put a piece of wood on the opposite side to help balance the disk. On large lathes that might not matter.

Richard Madison
09-07-2009, 10:55 PM
That's cool. Thanks Mark.

Mike Peace
09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
This is a great idea that encourages me to try one of these again. I did not have much success the first time around.

You might see if John Lucas could use this as a turning tip in the American Woodturner journal. I was pleasantly surprised to get a tip published in latest edtion.

Richard Madison
09-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Beat me toit Mike. Was about to edit that (tip for the Journal) into my previous post. Good idea!

Mark Hix
09-08-2009, 9:47 AM
Thanks for thoughts and comments. I never even thought about sending it for a tip to the magazines.

Richard Madison
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Know what you mean Mark. One of the tips in latest issue of the Journal is something I discovered years ago and never thought of it as being a "tip". Yours is a good one and doesn't compete with any of the commercial advertisers, so has a good chance of being published.

Joe Aliperti
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to try turning some scoops, but wasn't sure of the best way for hollowing out the inside.

Steve Mawson
09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
You have me interested as well. Have to give it a try.