PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your turning tools?

John Keeton
09-07-2009, 9:02 AM
I reviewed the sticky of members and their lathes, but didn't see much help in the way of how turners store their chisels and gouges, etc. It would be great if you could share pics, if possible, of handy and accessible ways in which you store your tools. Thanks!!

curtis rosche
09-07-2009, 9:43 AM
there have been like 4-5 threads about this in the past 2 months. do a search

Rick Hutcheson
09-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe I have too many tools. I have seen racks on the walls and carts, but I have my lathe in the center of everything else and there is no wall space left. I also have too many different types of tools to remember which is which by looking a that the end of the handle. So I have designed my storage up out of the way in otherwise unused space. The tips are up high enough so you will not accidentaly get cut by them while leaning over or moving around.

Greg Just
09-07-2009, 10:35 AM
John:

check out this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100692

there are some good ideas here.

Greg

John Keeton
09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
there have been like 4-5 threads about this in the past 2 months. do a searchCurtis, actually I did, but apparently did not use the correct words/phrase, as I didn't get much. I felt it should have been addressed many times - sorry!

Thanks, Greg, for the link. That will give me some ideas, and Rick, YES, you do have "too many" tools, but that is OK - most of us are there;)

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2009, 12:08 PM
John here is my arrangement. It works out quite well for me and tools being within arms length. I had my lathe parallel to the wall but turned it 90* and like it a lot better. Been using it for 3 yrs now and need to do a little work on it as a couple of the pvc pieces are starting to lean. Clean the slot and reglue.

ROY DICK
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM

John,
This my way. :D

Roy

Chris Rae
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I built a box big enough for two rows of pvc pipe, hung it on the wall and filled it with pipe. Filled that box up and built another one, it's almost full. Works good for me.

Curt Fuller
09-07-2009, 1:08 PM
My only suggestion for storing tools is to use something that is accessible with the shop vac. It seems that if they're stored within reach, they're also stored within range of the flying shavings. My tool rack is constantly getting filled with shavings.

ROY DICK
09-07-2009, 1:13 PM
there have been like 4-5 threads about this in the past 2 months. do a search
Curtis,
Not too helpful there. How many times have you received help?
Just my opinion.

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2009, 1:20 PM
John - my tool storage is away from the lathe for the reason that Curt mentioned - out of the way of most shavings.

The shelf unit that I use consists of some very cheap grid type shelves that I picked up from Menards. Works great but I ended up turning some 2x2 stock to use as legs cause the plastic tubes couldn't handle the weight!

127287 127288 127289

Hope that helps.......

Dan Forman
09-07-2009, 4:39 PM
Here is one of mine. You build them two at a time, using a forstner bit to drill the holes, then rip the piece in half to make the scallops.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020286.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020278.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020283.jpg

Before the racks, it was an endless dance from jointer table to table saw, to whatever other flat surface was available at the moment. They still tend to collect on the jointer when I'm turning, but at least now I have some place to put them when I'm done.

I just put up some wall shelves based on the bracket system they have at Lowes, but don't have any pics. This is the new home for chucks, jaws, and other accessories.

Dan

phil harold
09-07-2009, 4:56 PM
John
another selection of racks can be located here:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84593

David Christopher
09-07-2009, 5:05 PM
John, you made a beautiful cabinet ( plane till I think ) a few months ago, why dont you build a matching one with a removable caddy

John Keeton
09-07-2009, 6:02 PM
Thanks, David! Although I seem to have available floor space in my shop, I have not done well at organizing and utilizing the wall space. At the moment, I am perplexed about how to manage the small set of starter tools that I purchased, and still leave some room for future acquisitions.

There are some really neat ideas, and thanks Phil for the other link - some great ideas that have already been posted. There are several possibilities listed in this thread, including Dan's. I believe there was something similar in one of the other threads that was linked.

It does sound like a good idea to keep the tools clear of the wood chips. I hope to have a DC outlet set up behind the lathe to catch some of it, but I doubt it will do much more than grab some of the airborne dust.

My first thought was to try to locate the lathe against a wall. But, right now, I have it on locking casters and it is kind of nice having it out in the middle of the shop for cleanup. For spindle work, the casters seem to be plenty solid, but for bowl work, I am sure they would be a huge issue.

Thanks to all for the ideas, and any others will be much appreciated!

Larry Lukens
09-07-2009, 6:04 PM
John,
I made a rack like Dan Forman's. I made several extra spaces, and it over-filled in less than 2 weeks.

The rack is great. I considered PVC as others have recommended. But I seem to shatter PVC when I try to cut or drill it, and I have a bunch of white oak I got for $1/bf, so it's cheaper than almost everything else.:)

Jeff Wright
09-07-2009, 6:17 PM
Here some ideas from a post I did some time ago. The racks are working out real well and don't collect any shavings. They do have a tendency to fill up rather quickly . . . always finding new gouges that I just HAVE TO have!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=894767#post894767

Dan Forman
09-07-2009, 7:08 PM
The ones I posted were patterned after Jeff's.

Dan

John Keeton
09-07-2009, 7:16 PM
Jeff and Dan, if I could ask each of you, what is the height and the location of the middle "keeper?"

I intend to put a shelf across the supports on the lathe stand, and perhaps constructing an upright "wall" behind the lathe (coming off the shelf.) I could mount the rack there. That way I won't have to find some available wall space! And, at this point, with the casters on the lathe, it would be portable with the lathe.

Walt Caza
09-07-2009, 8:41 PM
Hi John,
Like you, my Creek search efforts did not come up with much...
I asked this same question just two weeks ago!

These are a few more ideas. (link)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118873

Lotsa accessories, but only so much space.
I'm new at turning, and still figuring out how to organize my lathe toys.
be well,
Walt

Mike Peace
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Here are my tool racks. I have since mounted my tool carousel on wheels. It is a lazy susan so it spins.

Thom Sturgill
09-08-2009, 9:23 AM
I don't have a picture, but if you take Jeff & Dan's design and put four of them into a square and mount it on a lazy susan you have my design. It sits on a small table just at the head of the lathe stand. Of course there are always a few buried in the shavings under the lathe :p

One the first version, I had a box with a drawer under the lazy susan, but as I got into bowl turning (and longer chisels!) that did not work out as well. Now I have a large tackle box (with three pull out boxes) that holds most of the small stuff. It sits on the end of my work bench a few feet away. The small trays hold jaw sets and pen turning equipment including a growing collection of bushings.

Walter Mooney
09-08-2009, 3:00 PM
John,
Here's what I did. I used some of my flat work experience and tools to build this custom chest. The bottom, back and top are square to each other. The sides are angled parallel to the legs on my Jet 1236. The front also slopes parallel to the legs. The drawers are all 1/2" plywood, sitting on dust frames. No guides or slides due to the angled sides of the box. The bottom drawer is the deepest, and it holds various chucks. The third drawer down holds my chisels, gouges, etc (and I'm about to outgrow it). The second drawer down holds gauges, tail stock pieces, tool rests, etc. The top drawer holds pencils, calipers, centering tools and anything else that's small. The top of the chest is about 1-1/2" below the bottom of the ways. It has a piece of p-lam on it for durability, and the p-lam overhangs the front edge of the box (and over the edge of the top drawer front) by 3/8" or so to keep some/most of the dust out. The drawer fronts are walnut that I resawed and planed. I turned my own knobs, of course -- of osage orange with walnut inset into them!
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/Waltem1/MyGarage008.jpg

Walter Mooney
09-08-2009, 4:24 PM
John,
Here's what I did. I used some of my flat work experience and tools to build this custom chest. The bottom, back and top are square to each other. The sides are angled parallel to the legs on my Jet 1236. The front also slopes parallel to the legs. The drawers are all 1/2" plywood, sitting on dust frames. No guides or slides due to the angled sides of the box. The bottom drawer is the deepest, and it holds various chucks. The third drawer down holds my chisels, gouges, etc (and I'm about to outgrow it :)). The second drawer down holds gauges, tail stock pieces, tool rests, etc. The top drawer holds pencils, calipers, centering tools and anything else that's small. The top of the chest is about 1-1/2" below the bottom of the ways. It has a piece of p-lam on it for durability, and the p-lam overhangs the front edge of the box (and over the edge of the top drawer front) by 3/8" or so to keep some/most of the dust out. The drawer fronts are walnut that I resawed and planed. I turned my own knobs, of course -- of osage orange with walnut inset into them!

Dan Forman
09-08-2009, 8:24 PM
Jeff and Dan, if I could ask each of you, what is the height and the location of the middle "keeper?"

I intend to put a shelf across the supports on the lathe stand, and perhaps constructing an upright "wall" behind the lathe (coming off the shelf.) I could mount the rack there. That way I won't have to find some available wall space! And, at this point, with the casters on the lathe, it would be portable with the lathe.

The middle scalloped piece is 1 x 3/4, and its bottom edge is 5 1/2" from the base.

Most folks recommend not having the rack positioned so that you have to reach across the lathe to reach the tools. That is not only a safety consideration, but also keeps wet curlies and chips from piling up on your tools.

Dan

John Keeton
09-08-2009, 8:30 PM
Dan, I guess I didn't phrase the question very well. The overall height was the measurement I was looking for - given what you said, and looking at the pic, I would guess about 10" tall??

Chris Stolicky
09-08-2009, 8:49 PM
Here is my latest effort. I still have more tools, but most of the readily used ones are here:

John Keeton
09-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Chris, that raises another question - does the big DC hood help? I have considered getting one to set up with my lathe.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-08-2009, 9:55 PM
I mounted my mini on a 25 buck garage sale rolling tool chest, and just toss my chisels in the drawers. No nice dividers for me... And yes I have colorful metaphors when I need to find that skew....... The chisels that are too long go in a 5 gal bucket that I have a bunch of 1.5" PVC sections mounted in. Tip down so I don't hurt myself. The mallet and other too big tools get tossed there too. Yes, I have to pull up a couple tools to find my gouge since I can't see the tips.

BTW all y'all have some really nice tool storage ideas. I just had to toss in my caveman storage. No offense to any cavemen out there. I'm not up to that kind of quality work.....

Dan Forman
09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Dan, I guess I didn't phrase the question very well. The overall height was the measurement I was looking for - given what you said, and looking at the pic, I would guess about 10" tall??

11" high, 25 1/2" long, 3" deep. the small scallops were done with 1 1/8 forstner bit, the large with 1 1/2" bit. The piece with the large scallops is 3/4" x 1 1/2" The small ones fit my homemade and Sorby handles fine, but I have since picked up a couple of large scrapers from Taylor, and they are much fatter at the outer end of the handle, and consequently don't fit as well as the others. They still go in the rack, but store in a different plane, leaning forward rather than back.

Dan

Chris Stolicky
09-09-2009, 6:50 AM
Chris, that raises another question - does the big DC hood help? I have considered getting one to set up with my lathe.

I think it does help channel the airflow. The key is making sure you do your sanding near where your dust collection is. I know that sounds obvious, but placement really is the key - and you don't always sand in the same place (think of bowl near headstock and spindle across the bed).

The dust hood is actually left over from a HF set of hoods and hoses I purchased when I first got a dust collector. It is technically called a table saw dust hood. I have seen where some people have constructed pretty elaborate setups, and even used a bowl with a hole in the bottom.

Remember, it really there for dust, not flying chips.

Michael Mills
09-10-2009, 9:03 PM
Hi,
Finally took a couple of pics of the little corner where the lathe lives.
Tools are held on mangetic strips and I have never had one fall.
Mike

Tom Giacomo
09-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I try to keep it at a minimium, this idea will cost you less than a buck. Just a hook and eye.

John Keeton
09-11-2009, 7:09 AM
Tom, I considered this method early on, but was concerned about dropping a tool while fumbling for one below my level of sight. Has that been an issue at all for you? Also good to see another HF lathe out there!!

So far, I really like a composite of several ideas. I think the Jeff Wright/Dan Forman/Larry Lukens rack is neat, and I think for the other "stuff" I really like Walter Mooney's drawer stack (also intrigued by the shape!!) These may fit in with the idea/hope of keeping my lathe somewhat mobile. I realize this is difficult to do and at the same time maintain stability and reduce vibration. However, if I do stick with only spindle work, it doesn't seem to be as much an issue.

BTW, this thread has ended up being an excellent collection of ideas and I appreciate the efforts of all. With the various links to previous threads, maybe we will now have a "keepable" collection of tool storage ideas! Keep 'em coming.

Walter Mooney
09-11-2009, 1:02 PM
John,

Thanks for the compliment! I'm pretty proud of it too. The sloping or angled sides and front made it a very interesting project. I new fromthe beginning that I wanted it to match the shape of the splay of the legs.
I laid all my "stuff" out on a template of the drawer bottom footprint for each drawer to be sure that I could fit what I wanted in the particular drawer.

I also agree with you on the collection of ideas that have been put forth in this thread. A lot of tremendous ideas. It might even qualify as a sort of sticky for future reference.

Walt

David Christopher
09-11-2009, 1:16 PM
BTW, this thread has ended up being an excellent collection of ideas and I appreciate the efforts of all. With the various links to previous threads, maybe we will now have a "keepable" collection of tool storage ideas! Keep 'em coming.[/QUOTE]

John, this is not a collection of ideas......its the vortex sucking you in

curtis rosche
09-11-2009, 5:40 PM
sorry for not helping before. i had a couple things crack or break that i was working on, wasnt the best day ever. i will be more helpful in the future.

Gary Conklin
09-12-2009, 8:41 PM
Link (http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/jointing-and-planing/lathe-tool-holder/) to some free plans for ya'll.

Frank Townend
09-13-2009, 6:45 AM
John, While many of the helpful posts above point to solutions for the chisels, I also will add a link to my post about storing the rest of your collection of lathe "tools".

You may see it here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1106507&postcount=19).

John Keeton
09-13-2009, 7:14 AM
Gary, I kind of like the idea of having the tools temporarily stored on the lathe ways! I may need to look at how much room I would have if turning a 30" leg, or some way to extend the setup to the right. Neat idea!

Frank, one major problem with your setup - too much room to fill with new toys!! You ended up with a very nice setup and a great find at HFH - kind of have it all in one spot - well, a movable spot!

Curtis - no problem! We all have bad days/moments - heck, sometimes I have bad weeks! Sorry about your projects, BTW.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-13-2009, 3:56 PM
John, While many of the helpful posts above point to solutions for the chisels, I also will add a link to my post about storing the rest of your collection of lathe "tools".

You may see it here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1106507&postcount=19).

Frank, That plan looks like it would let all the tools fall out of the rack when you removed the bungee cord. Am I missing something there?

John Keeton
09-13-2009, 5:05 PM
Alan, I think you are talking about Gary's link, and I don't want to speak for him, but I took it that the rack hung on the wall with the bungee cord, but when on the lathe, it was at a fairly low angle, toward flat, so that gravity took over. But, I may be wrong.

Gary Conklin
09-13-2009, 5:37 PM
That was the way I saw it too, the bungee is only for wall storage.