PDA

View Full Version : Newbie lathe location question

Paul Coffin
09-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi,
I am trying to fit my new Jet 1642 into my shop and would prefer to not move it too many times. I have a length of wall space that the lathe could sit parallel to or I might be able to rearrange some of my tools to allow the lathe to be perpendicular to a wall to allow access behind the lathe.

Which do you think is better? Up against a wall might help contain chips and is more space efficient for me, but perpendicular or at an angle gives access to the back side of the lathe. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
-Paul

Greg Just
09-06-2009, 10:41 PM
For years I had my lathe parallel to the wall right next to the wall. Recently I took turning class and they had the lathes at an angle to the wall. I learned I could lean over the lathe much easier. I have now rearranged my shop and the lathe is at an angle. With respect to the wood chips, they go all over the place not matter where the lathe is.

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Paul - I have my lathe parallel to the wall but about 2 1/2' out from it so I have access behind the lathe for cleaning. With the types of turning I do - bowls and hollow forms - reaching across the lathe has not been an issue as I just move the headstock down to the tail end and turn from a comfortable position.

Dick Sowa
09-07-2009, 8:50 AM
I tried both parallel and perpendicular to the wall, and didn't care for either one. Parallel didn't give me good access off the tail stock end, when I slid the headstock down there. Perpendicular just took up too much space in my shop, for no real gain in functionality.

I currently have my lathe sitting at a slight angle...tailstock end about 3' from the wall, headstock end about a foot from the wall. That gives me plenty of access when I slide the headstock down to the tailstock end to turn oversized bowls, or to avoid reaching over the bed to work on hollow forms.

While you might not WANT to move things around, the reality is that you may want to fine tune your tool layout over time. Try one placement for awhile, and if that doesn't quite work out for you, try another.

Tim McClelland
09-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I use a small corner of my garage. My lathe is a mini so it doesn't take up too much room anyway. I have it perpendicular to my bench which allows me access all around. Being a lefty it helps to get to all angles.