PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsaw Problem

Andrew Joiner
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I got a new Grizzly 21" 5hp G0531 5 months ago. I set it up, did a few test cuts and it has been untouched until now. Today I turned it on and before it gets up to speed it shuts itself down in 3 seconds.

I called Grizzly and they just closed until Tuesday. Any ideas ? Could it be a capacitor?

Thanks

jerry nazard
09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
By "shutting itself down", do you mean that the 220 breaker trips? If so, check to make sure you have both legs of 220 connected. Good luck! Nice saw!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Andrew.....Make sure the doors are closed tightly.

Scott T Smith
09-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Does it have a magnetic starter on it? If so, I'd look there first.

Andrew Joiner
09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
No, It's not the breaker.The breaker doesn't trip. It was wired in by a licensed electrician and it worked fine for awhile.

Ken, I checked both doors ,that's not it.

It starts up but shuts down way before it reaches full speed maybe after 1 or 2 seconds.

Scott T Smith
09-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Andrew, if you hit the start button again immediately after it starts to shut down (and before it has stopped), will it start spinning up again and reach a higher RPM?

I presume that this is a single phase, and not a 3-phase saw too?

Andrew Joiner
09-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks Scott,

If I hit the start button again immediately after it starts to shut down (and before it has stopped), no it won't start spinning up again. I have to wait 6 or 7 seconds before it will start again. Then it shuts off on it's own in 1 second.

This is a single phase 220 volt 5 HP saw.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Andrew,

To me it sounds like the centrifugal switch isn't closing contacts on the run capacitor and the circuit. Let me go to the Grizzly website and look at the schematics. I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Andrew,

I suspect the folks at Grizzly can help you fix this better than we can.

I looked at the schematics. It could be a couple of things.....something could be causing the magnetic switch to drop out.....or it could be that the centrifugal switch is never completing the circuit after switching from the start mode to the run mode.

It could be something very simple like a loose wire and the folks at Grizzly have seen it before and can tell you where to find it.

I wish I could be more help.

Andrew Joiner
09-07-2009, 1:30 PM
Thanks Ken ,

I'll call Grizzly tomorrow.

Carroll Courtney
09-07-2009, 2:26 PM
Another thought is the S/S buttons,if it is seperate from the starter it may be a loose wire or connection.I would check all connections just to make sure,unplug the saw first.I have a habit of not doing that.---Carroll