PDA

View Full Version : This is a very special place!

Mark Singer
09-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Yesterday we went to the "Concert in the park" here in Laguna. After my daughter, Jessica joined with several friends for dinner. When I came home I checked SMC as I often do and Jessica was looking over my shoulder. When I was looking at Jerry's post about Beau, his lab that died and Jessica started reading the posts.....she started to cry and after each one ..."How nice"..."How thoughtful" she said she has never seen a website where the people care so much about each other! She is 29 and spends a lot of time on line. Whether it is advice on a saw blade or support for a new project or comforting for a lost love one....as Beau....SMC is special and it is the wonderful members that keep it that way!

John Miliunas
09-13-2004, 1:32 PM
Mark, if you haven't just said a mouthful! I've debated for some time if I should post this, but in an effort to further fortify what you say here, I will.

A couple months ago, I lost my dear friend, Mitsy, a 9-year old Lab/Retriever mix. As it turns out, kidney failure brought her to her final rest, as well. I chose to not make it real public here at SMC, because at the time, I just didn't want to deal with it, knowing that with each kind word, the memories would pour back in and just bring tears to my eyes. (Kinda' like right now.)

Back to point of this, that being what a real Special Place this is. At the time, there were a couple folks who knew and shared their thoughts with me privately. Among those I informed was one particularly growly, tough on the exterior, Mr. Know-it-All. I just dropped him a PM. How was I to know that this cantankerous retiree hardly ever checks his Private Messages?! I never got a reply from him and figured that, as he had just lost a very, very beloved feline friend a short time earlier, that he too didn't want to drudge up the memories. Wrong answer!

Fact is, this snow-mobiling, slot-car racing and WW fanatic simply did not regularly check his PM's. When he finally did several weeks later, he did NOT respond to it. Instead, he found my phone number and gave me a personal call!!! He not only gave me his condolences, but profusely apologized for not responding sooner. For those who have hung around here for some time, I don't think I need to mention his name. For the rest of you, keep an eye out for posts from this wonderful human being from Peshtigo, WI.

Folks, people like this don't hang out at just *any* WW forum. They hang out HERE! :) Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share.... :cool:

Jim Becker
09-13-2004, 2:32 PM
Good point, Mark. (and John) One of the things I always emphasize when telling folks about SMC is that it's not a forum...it's a COMMUNITY. There is a big difference, as the current "residents" truly understand.

David Wilson
09-13-2004, 3:26 PM
Good point, Mark. (and John) One of the things I always emphasize when telling folks about SMC is that it's not a forum...it's a COMMUNITY. There is a big difference, as the current "residents" truly understand.I think FAMILY might be closer.

Charles McKinley
09-13-2004, 7:45 PM
I whole heartedly agree that this is a wonderful place.

As memory serves me the pond was started as a social experiment of sorts. There were many rules and closed to posting on Sundays.

It is nice to see the Creek growing as a mostly self-moderated site with very generous Terms of Service. As pointed out recently thes should be reviewed by all the members to ensure the continued harmony here. I refure to go back to some sites becouse of the action of the people there.

Thank you to all the administrators, moderators and members that make this a welcoming home.

Jerry Olexa
09-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Yesterday we went to the "Concert in the park" here in Laguna. After my daughter, Jessica joined with several friends for dinner. When I came home I checked SMC as I often do and Jessica was looking over my shoulder. When I was looking at Jerry's post about Beau, his lab that died and Jessica started reading the posts.....she started to cry and after each one ..."How nice"..."How thoughtful" she said she has never seen a website where the people care so much about each other! She is 29 and spends a lot of time on line. Whether it is advice on a saw blade or support for a new project or comforting for a lost love one....as Beau....SMC is special and it is the wonderful members that keep it that way!
Mark , you know how strongly I agree with you. My recent expereience w Beau ,although draining, again showed me the caring, sincerity of the members of this forum. The responses overwhelmed me but showed compassion and BIG hearts! Still difficult time for me, but I won't forget the genuine care expressed!! It is a wonderful place!

Wes Bischel
09-14-2004, 5:30 PM
I was reminded how special this group is today. It isn't necessary to expound, but it is sufficient to say I always stop by the Creek. That can't be said of other sites.

Wes

Joe Mioux
09-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Mark:

You are right on the mark. This is a great forum with a lot of great people.

best regards
joe

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
I can't add a lot to what has already been said....but I'll at least add in my 2¢ worth.

My job is high stress and long hours. I often get "beat down" by the pressures of my job. I get depressed and seem like I can't get things in place to where I can support the family by doing woodworking.

I come to the "Creek":
when I need advice.
to get a smile to make the time at "work" a lot more tolerable.
to share my life with others that I've never personally met.
to learn about others and become "friends" with a person that I can't even physically touch.
when I need moral support.
to get advice on "how-to" do something that I've never done before.
to provide support for those that may be "hurting" as I care about people.
because I love woodworking and I "love" the folks that aren't afraid to share their lives with me.
to get friendship and companionship.
to give a total stranger all that I have learned over the last 21 years of woodworking free of charge.
to learn from many woodworkers that have struggled for years to perfect a piece of technique and are willing to share it with other.
just to wade in the water and enjoy being a "part" of the SMC Community.

What does SMC mean to me? <b>S</b>uper <b>M</b>agnificent <b>C</b>ommunity

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Ok....in light of a post I just made.....I wanted to ask others input.

Keep in mind on your reponse that you are saying:

I come to the Creek:

then state your reasons why you come to SMC. Share knowledge, gather knowledge, gain friendships, or just to be part of a ww group? Only YOU know why YOU come, visit, post and read posts on SMC.

Come on....let's see what ya'll are all about. :p :D