PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper Removal Tip

Jim Rimmer
09-06-2009, 9:46 PM
Mods: If this in the wrong place, please move it. Thanks.

Started a kitchen reno this weekend and ther first step was to remove the vinyl wallpaper. I went on-line and read several how-tos. I started with the scoring tool and a solution of fabric softerner and water. I decided to start with the alcove around the fridge so if it was really bad, I could shove the fridge back in and call the pros. After several hours of scoring, soaking, and peeling (and gouging the sheetrock) I was pretty dicouraged. I looked at the rest of the kitchen and saw many days just to remove the wallpaper.

Well, in the middle if the night my wife had an idea to use the blowdryer to heat the paper and soften the glue. She got up ahead of me and tried it and it seemed to work. So I got the heat gun out of the shop and went to work. That was the trick for peeling of the vinyl layer and I was able to strip the whole kitchen in about 10-12 hours. However, the paper backing layer was still on and I had been told to spray it with water and see if it bubbled up. If it did, scrape it off; if not, prime over it. So I started spraying and a few bubbles showed up and I started scraping and this stuff peeled off amazingly easy. I did one wall in less than an hour.

So, the secret to removing vinyl wallpaper is:
1. Use heat gun to soften and loosen the vinyl layer. Don't hold it too long in one place. Use a putty knife to get an area started and keep heating in advance of where you are pulling it loose.
2. Wet the paper backing with clear water and peel it off. (Put this stuff in a trash can or bag or it will reglue itself to your floor and leave glue residue behind).

Don't use scoring tools, wallpaper remover gel, or any home concoctions.

Jacob Mac
09-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Where were you 9 months ago?:p Nice tip though. If I ever have to remove that god awful stuff again, I will remember your tip. Glad you figured this out.

Jim Rimmer
09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Where were you 9 months ago?:p Nice tip though. If I ever have to remove that god awful stuff again, I will remember your tip. Glad you figured this out.
LOML's recurring comment is "I'll never buy another house with wallpaper in it." :eek:

John Stevens
09-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Jim, your advice is worth its weight in gold. My wife and I just finished stripping wallpaper off a 10 x 12 room. It had been painted (twice!) by previous owners, so water and other liquids wouldn't penetrate it. We scraped it with well-sharpened putty knives, usually re-sharpening every 10 minutes or so. Your method will make it much easier when we tackle the living room!

Regards,

John

Von Bickley
09-07-2009, 8:44 AM
We put wall-paper in the first house we built...... NEVER again will we use wall-paper. :D

Chris Harry
09-07-2009, 8:52 AM
The rolling wallpaper scorers work pretty well........score the paper then spray it with a mix of warm water and vinegar. Wait 10-15 minutes and peel.

If the wall was "sized" before the paper was installed, the paper will peel right off. If it wasnt the vinyl layer will come off and then you can redo the procedure to the paper layer underneath.

Literally every wall in my house had wallpaper on it when I moved in (they even wallpapered the switchplate in the bathroom, I couldnt find the switch because it blended in!!!) 2 weeks of taking wallpaper off and painting. None of the walls were "sized" so the drywall underneath was a complete wreck after the paper was removed.

Paul Ryan
09-07-2009, 9:37 AM
Now days sheet rock and putty is so cheap I just rip down the old sheet rock and tape and fill the screw holes and I am ready to paint. I have done 3 rooms in our house that way. After trying to remove wall paper I got ticked and replaced the sheet rock. I will never try to remove wall paper again.

Chris Harry
09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Now days sheet rock and putty is so cheap I just rip down the old sheet rock and tape and fill the screw holes and I am ready to paint. I have done 3 rooms in our house that way. After trying to remove wall paper I got ticked and replaced the sheet rock. I will never try to remove wall paper again.

It helps if you are good at taping :) I for one am not even close. If I were, I would definitely just replace the drywall. Also gives you a chance to verify/upgrade the wall insulation and/or wiring.

Ted Shrader
09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Now days sheet rock and putty is so cheap I just rip down the old sheet rock and tape and fill the screw holes and I am ready to paint. I have done 3 rooms in our house that way. After trying to remove wall paper I got ticked and replaced the sheet rock. I will never try to remove wall paper again. +1 on new drywall.

If the wall was not sized prior to the paper installation, it is way less time consuming to put up new drywall. It also gives the opportunity to add new electrical "features" if desired. Outlets, in wall or surround sound speakers, LAN connections, etc.

Ted

Dave Johnson29
09-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I had plywood paneling throughout this place. I used 1/4" thick drywall over the top and now all the rooms are 1/2" smaller but man that was a lot better than trying to remove the glued and nailed every 4-inches paneling.

I am sure 1/4" drywall would be the quick answer over wallpaper too.

It needs two people to handle the sheets as they break easily, but they are light to handle.

Ben Franz
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I've had good luck with the scoring tool and a spray on remover called DIF - sold at the borg paint dept. The solution sprays on with a garden sprayer - usually 2 applications about 20-30 minutes apart works best. Every paper and application is a different challenge so it's good to have a variety of techniques available. However, if the original installation was done with a clay paste, nothing works and you might have to bulldoze the house to get rid of the wallpaper. I hate that stuff.

IMO, tearing out sheetrock is a last resort, unless there are other good reasons to open up the walls. The labor to tear out, rehang, tape and finish is not insignificant, even compared to a difficult wallpaper removal and all the attendant patching and repair. On top of that, the old sheetrock usually ends up in a landfill.

Anthony Scira
09-07-2009, 9:02 PM
Replace the drywall ! ! ! Holy cow.......

My father has been in the business for 40 years and he uses a hudson sprayer with the mentioned DIF and a special spiked roller. The water and DIF mixture has to be hot.

In all his years I have never hear of him replacing the drywall.

Jim Rimmer
09-07-2009, 9:44 PM
The scoring and the solution (I admit I didn't use DIF) didn't seem to make much progress on the vinyl paper. Thus the heat gun to get the vinyl off and then the backing came loose really easy.

But replace the sheet rock! :eek: Yikes!