PDA

View Full Version : MDF cabinet door construction advice

Ken Cohen
09-06-2009, 7:41 PM
My wife hates two arched windowed cabinets in our kitchen and I've agreed to build replacement doors that match the other shaker/bead inset style cabs in the rest of the kitchen.

I'm matching MDF thermofoil white cabinets installed by prior owner 15+ years ago. Edges are crisp and the bead detail extends all the way to the frame -- suggesting that the bead face panel was added separately to the frame (as opposed to a one piece MDF door).

Does anyone know how this cabinet is constructed or how to simply duplicate it?

1. My suspicion is that the original construction is (1) deep rectangle routed into MDF door slab (2) Thin MDF panel with routed bead glued to slab

2. Since this is lots of routing in a home shop, I'd prefer to build it more conventionally, i.e. poplar frame with MDF inset panel (with bead routed). I would use tongue and groove joinery for the frame and dado for the face. I would glue the MDF face to the frame since movement should not be a problem.

I'd welcome any thoughts on this approach.

Thanks.

(PS. This is all premised on finding someone with a paint shop who can match the color/sheen of the original thermofoil)

Casey Gooding
09-06-2009, 8:11 PM
From what I can gather from your description, I think you're right on track. I certainly wouldn't make the frames from MDF. You would be asking for trouble. If you are using stub tenons, gluing the MDF panel in would give it the added strength it would lack otherwise.

Thomas S Stockton
09-06-2009, 8:58 PM
Why don't you order thermofoil doors. They are pretty inexpensive and I think finding someone to paint them will cost just as much.
Tom

Ken Cohen
09-06-2009, 9:20 PM
Re: ordering a made to order thermofoil door. Actually, a great option, but I need the doors within 10 days. Everyone I checked out needs 3-4 wks.