PDA

View Full Version : looking for software to add braille to signs

Steve knight
09-06-2009, 6:23 PM
I saw that some software betting worked on for shopbot software. but I don't see it. of I would pay someone to give me the text in a dxf format.

Scott Shepherd
09-06-2009, 8:48 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102500

Aaron wrote it. It's available at the bottom of the forum, in the "Software" section.

Steve knight
09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
yes that's the corel plugin but I don't have coreldraw.

Joe Pelonio
09-06-2009, 11:04 PM
if you expect to continue doing ADA signs, Corel AND Aaron's is a lot cheaper than the actual braille software. The company that sells it has a copyright on it and the process for setting thye balls so there's no competition.

For those of us that do a few once in a while and hand place the dots the Duxbury package is not worth the cost. I've been lucky and gotten jobs from a graphic designer that has the software and sends me vector files all ready to go.

Steve knight
09-07-2009, 3:20 AM
that would be the way to go if I get many of these jobs. this is the first one. and right now I just need to bid it.

Scott Shepherd
09-07-2009, 8:20 AM
Sub it to someone that does it if it's a small job. I don't know how to do it without Corel or some special software.

I have several things:

1) CorelDraw with the braille font. This doesn't work because you can't type text in and then change the font to braille and have it be correct. It just doesn't work like that and you'll be 100% wrong by doing it that way.

2) CorelDraw with the braille font and some special software. I bought a piece of software from a place that sells braille books. It converts text to the proper grade of braille. It only prints out, so all you can do it print the end result, go into CorelDraw, use the braille font and try and figure out which letter on the keyboard creates which symbol that's on the printed out paper. It works, but it's slow. I mean SLOW.

3) CorelDraw with Aaron's Plug In. Open Corel, click the button, type the text, and it's done. It's excellent, but I don't use it because we don't do braille on the laser any longer.

4) Rotary Engraver- it has a braille conversion program built in. It will either do the dots or it will engrave all around the dots, leaving the raised spheres (using a special cutter). We use the rotary engraver for all of our braille now.

As you can see, there's no easy way to do it without the proper tools. I've fought it for a long time and once we switched over to the rotary, we completely stopped trying other methods. It's just too easy when you have the right stuff.

You're probably looking at $20-25 each to add raised letters and braille. I called a large company that specializes in braille and had them quote me just the braille on about 200 signs and I think they quoted me $27 each. I thought they were insane, but it appears to be the going price.

Keith Outten
09-07-2009, 9:44 AM
Steve,

The problem is that you must use Grade II Braille on ADA signs. Grade I Braile is a snap because you can just use a Braile font. Grade II Braile requires an interpreter and that is what Aarons' Corel Draw script does.

Aaron created a keyhole script for me to use with Corel Draw that creates ShopBot keyhole tool paths directly, no other software is required because his script generates the tool paths. I expect what you are looking for is a means of drilling braille holes with your ShopBot, possibly Aarons' script could be modified for ShopBot Braille. You can purchase a cutter that is sold for rotary engravers that would fit perfectly in your router collet, all you would need is the script and Corel Draw. I will discuss it with him ASAP.

Your other option is to purchase Engravelab or one of the other programs that supports Grade II Braile. They are expensive and you will have to experiment with a means of converting the Engravelab file to a ShopBot tool path.

Aspire and VCarve Pro have post processors for creating files for many rotary engravers but that doesn't help get the braille into Aspire, it would need to have scripting added and then someone like Aaron would have to develop a script.

In a nutshell you can't beat Aaron's Corel Draw Braille script, it is simple and fast. If he would be willing to add the tool path function to it it would be awesome.

Aaron Koehl
09-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Version 2 of the Braille tool is now done.

My Braille tool now has the capability to directly generate ShopBot part files (.SBP).

As soon as Keith tests it out on his 'Bot, I'll put the latest version in the Software Downloads area (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/software.php).

Steve knight
09-08-2009, 12:57 AM
how would you locate where the braille goes? I think if you had it generate a dfx or eps file to import it would be far more useful. not knocking what you do or anything but if I am doing 20 signs how would I locate the braille on each one when I am working with a sheet of material.

Keith Outten
09-08-2009, 7:10 AM
Aaron,

That is really slick, please send me the script and instructions if necessary and I will give it a good test. I expect that there may be some people at the ShopBot Camp this Saturday in Troy Virginia that will be interested as well. That was quick Aaron, I hadn't even had time to call you about it yet :)

Aaron, if I had a custom Sans Serif font that fit the router bit radius I could machine ADA door signs on my ShopBot and wouldn't even need a laser or rotary engraver except to cut the inlay letters. I could route 40 door signs on a sheet and save a lot of time and effort loading them one at a time into the laser engraver then having to clean them, the time savings would be huge :) If you could create a tool path generator for the text and a logo I would only need Corel Draw and the ShopBot Control software to make ADA signs.

Brailleballs.com has an attachment for the ShopBot that will put braille balls into the holes.

Steve,

Obviously I haven't seen the new script but I expect it is another of Aaron's Corel Draw Tools. You would draw directly in Corel or import your sign design into a new drawing and them use the new Braille Tool to place the Braille where you want it on the drawing. His braille tool for keyholes creates a tool path file from a button on his menu, it is very fast and accurate and saves time. If you make ADA signs Aaron's Braille tools are the hot setup and the keyhole creator works with any sign, plaque or project.

Scott Shepherd
09-08-2009, 9:38 AM
Steve, I think you would be well served by buying Coreldraw. You might not use it every day, but it'll be less expensive to buy that and use it than just about any other option.

Larry Bratton
09-08-2009, 8:18 PM
Steve;
Also suggest you do some research on the guidelines for braille application. It is a bit more involved than just running a file. Lots of different things to be aware of. Good luck.

Steve knight
09-09-2009, 12:25 AM
yes been reading it awhile. this is the first time I had a chance to do it. still I am only bidding on it.

Mike Ross
01-20-2010, 9:09 AM
Hey Steve,

I have the braille software and could help you out with a few signs if you just want the dxf. Still want to visit your shop one of these days, but life gets so so busy...

Mike Ross

Mick A Martin
01-20-2010, 8:54 PM
I am still waiting for Aaron to modify his braille plugin to generate Camaster part files, maybe there are more people interested.

Keith Outten
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Mick,

When I see Aaron I will ask about support for CAMaster machines. I don't know how he can test CAMaster files locally since we don't have one yet :)

Chip Peterson
01-21-2010, 5:50 PM
Aaron,

Brailleballs.com has an attachment for the ShopBot that will put braille balls into the holes.

Keith, can you elaborate on that comment? I don't see anything about it on the web site. Is this one of those top secret, extra special doo-hickeys I hear about? :) Did you get one?

Keith Outten
01-21-2010, 7:55 PM
Chip,

Awhile back I was visiting their web site and found an attachment for a CNC router that would install braille balls. As I recal it mounted in the router chuck and dispensed braille balls into the holes. I called them and talked to the guy who designed the fixture, he offered to send me one to try out but I was too busy at the time.

That's allI know.