PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Grizzly Bandsaw

Paul Greathouse
09-06-2009, 5:41 PM
I know there are countless threads about Grizzly Bandsaws but with all the offerings Grizzly has I am stumped, mainly due to the fact that I don't have much experience with Bandsaws.

If I wanted the most robust resawing capablilities but still maintain the ability to perform more normal, semi-intricate cuts, which Grizzly bandsaw would be my best bet?

I know there are other brands out there but I have 3 Grizzly tools already and am very happy with the performance that I get from them verses the price that I paid. If there are other brands that fall into the same "bang for your buck" catagory that Grizzly does, please comment on those also.

Jacob Mac
09-06-2009, 6:25 PM
Let me start by saying I have several Grizzly tools. And I like most of them.

With that said, I have the G0513 and it has been nothing except a headache from day one. And surprsingly, Grizzly has not helped resolve my problems. I have just gotten the run around.

However, I have only heard good things about the G0513x. So I would avoid the G0513, but don't overlook the G0513x.

glenn bradley
09-06-2009, 6:37 PM
As far as Grizzly goes, the G0513 family is becoming to bandsaws what the G0490 and G1023 families became to jointers and tablesaws; lots of owners, lots of happy people, lots of recommendations.

I have the G0513X which is no longer made. The X2 replaced it and uses the same hardened steel trunnion teeth but mounts them to a cast iron assembly instead of steel. I believe the G0513 uses cast aluminum wheels vs. the cast iron on the X, X2 and X2B. A brake, like on the X2B would be nice but, I'm not sure how much I would pay for one.

glenn bradley
09-06-2009, 6:41 PM
I have the G0513 and it has been nothing except a headache from day one. And surprsingly, Grizzly has not helped resolve my problems. I have just gotten the run around.

Jacob, have you PM'd Shiraz directly. I wouldn't ordinarily advise this right off but, if normal channels have stalled, I would not hesitate. Every now and then I see a post about a CS snag at Grizzly and I'm not sure what happens (maybe Griz has a CS troll they haven't identified and . . . re-tasked). So many folks get the over-the-top service I am used to that I would almost insist on getting it as a customer if I were you. JMHO.

Stephen Edwards
09-06-2009, 6:48 PM
Jacob, have you PM's Shiraz directly. I wouldn't ordinarily advise this right off but, if normal channels have stalled, I would not hesitate. Every now and then I see a post about a CS snag at Grizzly and I'm not sure what happens (maybe Griz has a CS troll they haven't identified and . . . re-tasked). So many folks get the over-the-top service I am used to that I would almost insist on getting it as a customer if I were you. JMHO.

Ditto, what Glenn said.

Matt Stiegler
09-06-2009, 6:54 PM
Paul, I have no expertise to offer except that I'm in exactly the same boat and have read all the same threads you have.

I suspect the consensus here is going to be that, while there are lots of folks thrilled with their 555s, since you say resawing is a big priority you might be happier in the long run with one of the 513s, or one of the 514s if your budget allows. I gather those saws will do both resawing and curves like champs.

Paul Greathouse
09-06-2009, 7:45 PM
After reading your comments, I've been looking around on the Grizzly site. It appears that the 514 is a step up in size and power from the 513.

That being the case, would the 531 be the next step up from the 514?

Do I really need the 5hp of the 531 for resawing or is there not that much difference between it and the 3hp 514?

If I went with the 531, would I still be able to do the same more intricate work with it that I would be able to do with the 514 or 513?

Is the 531 a completely different saw than the 513/514? It appears close to the same to the untrained eye, just heavier duty.

Jeff Willard
09-06-2009, 8:41 PM
If there are other brands that fall into the same "bang for your buck" catagory that Grizzly does, please comment on those also.

I just got a 14" Laguna to replace a 14" taiwanese Delta clone. For what I paid for the Laguna, I could have had a 16 or 18" saw from another manufacturer, but just didn't have the space to accommodate the larger footprint. The difference is significant. Some may see this as a lateral move, but I see it as a definite upgrade. It's a machine in a completely different class.

14" resaw capacity, and a 3hp Leeson to do it with. That's 2" more than the 514.

Footbrake. Not a big deal when I was shopping, but now that I have it, I'm glad I do.

The Laguna ceramic guide system. I had Carter guides on the clone, and they were a big improvement over the stock guides. After using ceramics though, I have no intent of ever going back to bearings. Drift? What's that? I can set the guides to bear directly on the band, eliminating any play, and they offer 10 points of support, instead of 6.

There is enough beef in the frame to properly tension a 1" band, should one decide to go that route.

Handles squiggly work just fine, as far as I've tested it, which admittedly, isn't much. If the need arises for a 1/8" band, I'll just make some guide blocks out of some lignum that I have kicking about, instead of spending the money on the Cool Blocks that Laguna offers-$$$:eek:.

I didn't get a very large saw for the money spent, but I got features not available on any other saw in this size class. I ended up with a 14 inch saw that thinks it's an 18 inch saw. I have no regrets about spending the money on it.
I believe Laguna is currently offering a number of promotions such as free shipping, or a Driftmaster (great fence system, BTW) and blade package with purchase, depending on model.

Gary McKown
09-06-2009, 8:58 PM
IMO, if you are resawing 10"+ lumber all day long, then you need the "industrial" tools - probably even other than Grizzly - carbide cutters, etc.. If you are a weekend hobbiest, then no way do you need 5 hp or even 3! I have the 0513X2 (2 hp) and love it. So, it takes maybe a minute longer to resaw thick stock - what price speed?

I considered (and could afford) larger bandsaws, but the trade-off of size/weight/price versus my needs (and shop space) dictated the smaller option. From what I have read, too, the larger the machine the less comfortable are small curve-cutting blades. This I do know - the 17-inch 0513X2 does a good job, but not as easily as my old 12" Craftsman (which I kept, by the way) on tight curves.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2009, 9:26 PM
Paul,

Do yourself a favor. Go to Amazon.com and order Mark Duginske's latest book "The New Complete Guide to the Bandsaw."

It is well illustrated and written. Mark goes into great detail in explaining how a bandsaw works...how to properly tune a bandsaw and he debunks a lot of bandsaw myths. There is a chapter on what to look for when buying a bandsaw and even a section on what to look for if you are buying a used bandsaw.

It is a fantastic reference for someone without any experience on a bandsaw and you can buy for $13.16 plus shipping.

I bought the book from the publisher and paid considerably more. It was still worth the then higher price.

I'm just a happy customer.

Stephen Edwards
09-06-2009, 9:46 PM
Paul, I think that the first question that you need to answer for yourself is this: "How much resawing am I realistically going to be doing in a year's time?" Once you've answered that question then you can better address the question of which saw to buy?

Joel Goodman
09-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Jeff, Which Laguna 14" did you get? They have several models which seem quite different.

John Coloccia
09-06-2009, 10:16 PM
For what it's worth, I have the 514X2 and am satisfied with it. I routinely resaw 9" hard maple with no problems. My only complaint is that changing the blade, especially large blades, is a royal pain in the rump, at least until you get the hang of it. It really is a pretty nice saw.

Brian Effinger
09-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Paul, I recently received the 17" G0513x2, but haven't had a chance to try it out - or even get it out of the crate. I had wanted to buy the 14" G0555X with the riser block, but Grizzly was out of them until October, and MS/Ebay cashback was at 15% and I didn't want to wait and lose it. If you can wait, the smaller one may be better for curve cutting with occasional resawing. At least that is what I gleaned from all of the articles on the creek.

Stan Mitchell
09-07-2009, 9:04 AM
I've been using a Grizzly G0513X2 for the last several months. It has turned out to be my favorite piece of equipment to use - very smooth and quiet.

Perfect size for my shop. Light enough to wheel around, but heavy enough to feel solid.

I had been considering a 14" prior to my purchase. Terrific bang for the buck in my opinion.

Oh, and 2HP on a 17" band saw is more than enough power.

Jeff Willard
09-07-2009, 1:23 PM
Jeff, Which Laguna 14" did you get? They have several models which seem quite different.

LT14SUV. It's actually a Chinese import, hence the "budget" price (for a Laguna), but Laguna obviously takes QC very seriously. The saw was immaculate as recieved, and runs like a top.