PDA

View Full Version : Small walnut gloat

Mark P. Brown
09-06-2009, 5:37 PM
A friend told me about a friend of his whom had 3 pieces of walnut in his yard. They had been cut 3 years ago and left behind by the crew that took down the tree.
I got them home with the help of TLOML and we got them debarked, they had been left standing on end since they were cut. The bottoms of them look as if there is some spalting going on. I found grubs ants and termites in the wood.
The wood is now resting in the bottom of a chest type deep freeze with 2 pounds of dry ice to kill the unwanteds. This leaves no residue or discoloration to the wood. (Proper care of the freezer is required to protect pets and kids) Tomorrow I can take it out and store in the shed after I seal the ends.
What is the best way to cut the 2 bigger pieces to get the best-looking wood for a bowl or three?
Mark

Nathan Hawkes
09-06-2009, 5:50 PM
What is the diameter of the bottom piece, with the two burls on the end? Personally, I'd cross cut that piece just above the root burls, leaving a short log that can then be split up the middle, and the burl piece. You could then cut the burl piece in half between the two nodes, and maybe even get a third piece from the back side if you make careful cuts. I don't know how to draw on pics & reload, so hopefully the explanation suits.

Nathan Hawkes
09-06-2009, 6:04 PM
This is what I meant:

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127202&stc=1&d=1252274198

In this Pic, I'm assuming this is the backside of the piece with the nodes on it. Try to imagine that you've already lopped off the top piece, and the circle I've drawn is the face of the log that is left over. The dotted line represents the first cut I'd make, partially through the log. Then I'd wedge it between other logs and rip down the cut that would leave you with a natural edge slab. You could also accomplish this safer with a bandsaw. What you would end up with after these cuts is 5 pieces, trying to maximize the figure & wood & minimize waste. Three pieces that could be natural edge bowls, and two root burl "nodes". Just what I would do. The crotch i would rip from the side, leaving two "bookmatched" crotch pieces that you could then do natural edge pieces with. natural edge crotch bowls look great!

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127203&stc=1&d=1252274522

curtis rosche
09-06-2009, 6:56 PM
looks like you might have some burl there. nice score

Mark P. Brown
09-07-2009, 9:04 PM
Thanks Nathan. I will cut them tomorrow and seal them.
Mark:)