PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw sharpener

Charles McKinley
09-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

Do any of you have the chain sharpener from Harbor Freight for $65 or the Oregon that is $180 fromTHe Northern Tool catalog?

Thanks

Bill Grumbine
09-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Hi Chuck

I have the Little Nick that HF used to sell, but then they knocked that off for a Chinese grinder. I cannot answer for that, but I like my Little Nick. It does a great job. I cannot imagine that it would be that much less in quality of moving parts. I suspect that the real price cut is in the motor, but even that is pretty small.

Bill

Tom Sontag
09-13-2004, 1:41 PM
I do not own either. My partner and I maintain two chainsaws which are used daily with hand files. Even the pro at the saw shop says he uses a machine to sharpen for cash but uses a hand file on his own saws.

Reason: the machines destroy too much of the tooth and 3 accurate swipes with the correct file is all you need to maintain a sharp chain. HTH.

Paul Downes
09-13-2004, 4:33 PM
Ditto- I have always used a hand file. It's not that hard to get proficient at chain sharpening. The wood doesn't care if the angles of each saw tooth aren't the same. The only problem I have is when I haven’t cut any wood for a while- those fingers and hands keep getting older. :( One point. Sharpen into the saw tooth. This rolls the burr off the backside of the tooth rather than off the cutting edge. If the burr is on the cutting edge, once it breaks off the tooth will already be getting dull. Also keep track of the height of the rakers. I like my rakers lower than factory spec. but I'm used to a high Hp saw that can take it. It also creates a greater kick back risk.

Mark Mandell
09-13-2004, 4:59 PM
I bought the HF grinder to keep my two saws and 6 chains ready and willing. No complaints so far. I'm not, however, saying that a $65.00 HF knock-off does as well as an $800+ Silvey grinder. :rolleyes:

Mark Mandell

Steve Clardy
09-13-2004, 6:09 PM
I do like Paul does. Hand file backwards as to what everyone usually does.
And I usually go through a dozen files during firewood season. These new files aren't much, and the metal they are using in the chains are hard, taking the edge off a file fairly quick.
Never owned a chain saw machine.
Steve

Charles McKinley
09-13-2004, 7:21 PM
Thanks Guys,

I think I'll just stick with hand sharpening for now and pick up another chain for when I'm in a hurry.

I use the Oregon guide to make sure it doesn't get too far out of wack.