PDA

View Full Version : Shed or Cyclone

Ryan Lee
09-06-2009, 1:53 PM
I'm in a debate in my head about what I need. I recently sold my motorcycle and have a hole burning in my pocket. My garage is used for storing all of my woodworking equipment, yard equipment, paint, and other random stuff. I manage to get my woodworking projects complete, but it sure would be nice to dedicate my garage to W/W or other projects (I make fireworks too). Then again I have big piles of dust every time i dimension some lumber.

So what are your thoughts? Do i get the cyclone and live with the clutter, or do i get the shed and live with the dust?

Alan Bienlein
09-06-2009, 2:25 PM
Get the cyclone!. It's easier to live with the clutter than to deal with health problems from the dust. Besides you could have a garage sale and use the money to buy more tools.

Scott T Smith
09-06-2009, 2:33 PM
Nah, get the shed, and make it big enough to house an inexpensive dust collection system in addition to the rest of the goodies. In the meanwhile, use a second hand shop vac or something to help control the dust.

With more space in the shop, you can use it more effectively.

Jason Beam
09-06-2009, 5:11 PM
Go with the shed and a real good broom/dust pan.

Do your sanding and other Fine-Dust generating outside with a fan or wind blowing the dust away from your face.

A shed big enough for a DC is a fantastic idea if you can place it near enough to be used for that.

Your lungs are valuable, but you can have both desires met. A cyclone isn't a lung protector, anyway.

Butch Hayes
09-06-2009, 7:12 PM
snip
A cyclone isn't a lung protector, anyway.

????
A cyclone of adequate cfm with pick-ups placed appropriately is the best lung protection you can get. A good one will get virtually all the microscopic airborne dust that is hazardous to lungs and health. A shop vac can help with visible saw dust, but because they don't generate much airflow, the airborne particles are missed almost entirely. The cyclone will keep more dust out of your lungs than a regular dust mask. Browse the http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm web site and read through it.

While I agree that a big fan blowing out the window can help, particularly if the source of the dust is nearby, it won't compare favorably to a properly configured DC with pick-up near the source.

To OP, go for the cyclone - but watch out for your fireworks and get really anal about grounding the ducts. Static that is trivial around wood, isn't quite so trivial around the stuff of your other hobby.

Ryan Lee
09-06-2009, 8:12 PM
I agree whole heartedly about the grounding. Most of my fireworks making is done outside so that isn't so much of an issues though. Occasionally I do a little inside and it makes about as much dust as the woodworking. All of that is collected with a broom and dustpan though. My shop vac is a static monster. I run is for just a little bit and it creates a huge static charge. It's almost comical the shock I get every time. Anyone else have that problem?

The shed will not be close enough to have the cyclone in it. It is about 50ft away.

Rod Sheridan
09-06-2009, 8:32 PM
Ryan, get the cyclone, install grounded metal ductwork.

Your lungs, and family will thank you.......Regards, Rod.

Doug Shepard
09-06-2009, 8:33 PM
If you dont get th yard tools out you'll have no place to put the cyclone anyway. Get the shed first.

Bruce Wrenn
09-06-2009, 8:34 PM
Use the shed to make and store fireworks. If it goes:(, the shop / house doesn't:D. That would keep mama a lot happier!;)

Jason Beam
09-06-2009, 9:39 PM
????
A cyclone of adequate cfm with pick-ups placed appropriately is the best lung protection you can get. A good one will get virtually all the microscopic airborne dust that is hazardous to lungs and health.

No, not quite.

I've read Bill's site. I've spoke to him personally. He flat out says if you don't vent outside, a cyclone isn't any better than anything else that can pull the needed CFM. Adequate ports are a large part of the problem, too, though, not just the cyclone.

That said. Bill himself tells me "If you can't get a cyclone, put a strong fan behind you and send the fine dust outside and away from your lungs."

A cyclone on its own is no better than a broom and dust pan. A properly applied cyclone can help, but it's still a compromise. I will not advocate from my desk that anyone put all their faith in something as variable as a cyclone installation. Nobody should - unless you're sitting there designing the system, you can't paint with that broad a brush.

To the OP:
If you care about your lungs, educate yourself - even the experts tell you that collection is not ideal - it's best to 1: not produce the dust to begin with, 2: not expose yourself to the dust that you do produce or as a last resort, 3: limit your exposure to that dust.

A cyclone is #3 on the list. It's better than nearly all other attempts to collect the dust, but it's not the end-all answer. It will do what it is designed to do: move air and separate debris from it. It will not stop the dust-laden air it can't reach from entering your lungs.

If the OP has a limited amount of funds, there is far more value in the shed for him if he can watch for his health until such time comes that he can get the holy grail of dust collectors. Heck, he might even find he doesn't need a cyclone. It's not the only way to protect ones lungs. There ARE better ways if you don't mind sweeping up the chips from time to time.

Protect your lungs: don't breathe the dust.