PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee router kit

Richard Andersen
09-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm looking to purchase my first router. For quite some time I have been looking at the various kits which come with a fixed and plunge base. I was originally considering the Bosch or Milwaukee 2.25 H.P. router kits, but Amazon is currently offering the Milwaukee 1.75 H.P router set for $98.49 with free shipping. Although this was not my first choice due to the lower power, no variable speed or soft start.....the $98 price is very attractive, but with compromises. What is your opinions? Is 1.75 H.P going to be adequate for starting out? How important are variable speed and a soft start features for learning router 101 basics?

After searching several router threads here I come to conclusion my first router will only be the start of many more router purchases in the future, so maybe it's ok to compromise and start out with something not having every feature I dreamed of.

Dan Rude
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I have the Milwaukee 2.25 router and have been very happy with it. I also have the base model of the Bosch kit in my router table and consider it to be very good too. If you can afford the smaller Milwaukee now go for it. You will not be able to run the larger bits but will get you started. My first router was a craftsman and I still use it but was limited by the 1/4 router bits. Good luck.

glenn bradley
09-06-2009, 11:39 AM
As this is your 'starter router' I would say; bang for the buck and growth potential are really great. Later if you want more power and variable speed/electronic feedback and soft start, all you need is the 5616-29 which is the 2-1/4 HP motor only. This motor fits into the fixed and plunge base that comes with the 5615 kit you are looking at.

I have the 5615 and the 5616 with fixed and plunge bases. I use both motors and bases in various combinations. The 5615 in the plunge base is lightweight but plenty powerful enough for use with my Mortise Pal and for more delicate plunging operations. Drop the 5616 motor in and you can plow through almost anything one might do in a home shop.

I almost can't keep myself from just picking the kit up as it is cheaper than the 5615 motor alone. I could have another plunge base . . . . . Oh darn. I just went ahead and ordered it.

glenn bradley
09-10-2009, 8:07 PM
Ordered on the 6th and just arrived. Under $100 delivered. All I wanted was another plunge base but that cost more. The spare fixed bases end up attached to router jigs and spare collets are always a plus. I plan to build a raft out of the blow molded cases I have in the rafters and sail to Jamaica.