PDA

View Full Version : source for knob & tote screws

Tom Adger
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I have a Millers Falls #140 jack plane, and am about ready to start making a new tote and knob. The problem is the screws. Best I can tell, the existing screws are 12-24. One needs to be at least 2 1/2", the other 4 1/2". #10 is definitely too small, 1/4" too large. The problem is #12's are uncommon. I googled and found one website that goes up to 3".

I can adjust the knob height to use the existing shorter screw, but I am going to make the tote higher to fit my hand. Buying a junker won't work, I will be right where I am now. Anyone know a source?

Jeff Booth
09-09-2009, 6:59 AM
I needed such a machine screw one time, I studied the problem from a few angles ...(could fabricate it on the lathe, could buy a 2 part die from Greenfield with the right TPI but for larger wire size and then bring the die halves closer together - I think maybe I needed a 12-20 or 12-28 ... I thought it was common TPI to 1/4") ... In the end, I went to a used tool vendor and he opened up a jar of hundreds of those machine screws and set me up for $0.50 .... that was the price performer for me. I am not sure if there is one in your neighborhood, but when you think about all the planes that do not make it out of someone's basement alive due to rust .... the machine screws are usually still quite useable.

Dominic Greco
09-09-2009, 8:15 AM
I have a Millers Falls #140 jack plane, and am about ready to start making a new tote and knob. The problem is the screws. Best I can tell, the existing screws are 12-24. One needs to be at least 2 1/2", the other 4 1/2". #10 is definitely too small, 1/4" too large. The problem is #12's are uncommon. I googled and found one website that goes up to 3".

I can adjust the knob height to use the existing shorter screw, but I am going to make the tote higher to fit my hand. Buying a junker won't work, I will be right where I am now. Anyone know a source?

Try Walt Q at Brass City Records and Tools (203 574-7805), Clint Jones (PM him here), or Lynn Dowd. I'm betting any of those fine gents will be able to help you out.

Prashun Patel
09-09-2009, 8:40 AM
You can also drill a counterbore deeper in the handle.
I'm making a tote for my Sargent 418 and that's what I did.

One tip when making the tote (if you never made one...)

Trace yr pattern on yr blank such that the long bolt hole is perpendicular to the base of the blank. Then drill from both sides. Then cut everything out.

Tom Adger
09-09-2009, 9:03 PM
Thank you for your ideas. If I hit paydirt on any, I will post the results.