PDA

View Full Version : Skylights in garage workshop?

Ken Cohen
09-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I am turning the back half of my large detached garage into a shop area (to share with cars). Right now it is a completely open structure and raw (studs, rafters, etc.). It's also dark. Over time, I intend to enclose and rough finish the back half to allow for heating.

Step one is (unfortunately) replacing the 25 year old roof -- since it leaks like a sieve (but seems to know where cast iron and finished wood is positioned).

It seems like a perfect time to add some skylights -- especially if I can pick up something inexpensively on Craig's list.

Two questions:

1. Other than cost, this seems like something that can only improve my workshop. Am I missing any downsides?

2. Any suggestions on size, location, etc.

Thanks. Glad to provide additional detail if helpful.

Ken

Ed Hazel
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I have skylights in my shop they let nice light in the fall, winter, spring in the summer I made a cover that goes on the inside to keep the sun out so the shop stays cooler mine face the south.
If I had to do it again I do not think I would put them in again

Andrew Duncan
09-06-2009, 11:55 AM
I have 4 openable skylights in my shop. Unlike Ed's, mine face north and so I don't get heat gain from them. In temperate weather they certainly make ventilation better. Year round they add a lot of natural light.

John Coloccia
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Don't they have IR filters so that it doesn't heat up the shop.

Anyhow, if there was anyway for me to bring natural light into my shop, I would do it in a heartbeat. If I end up building another building to house my shop (I have a good size plot so I can put another building up) you can be sure it'll be packed with light tubes and skylights. Heck yeah! :D

Matt Meiser
09-06-2009, 1:13 PM
I'd do it, but since these have to keep water out, I wouldn't buy them off Craigslist. Velux isn't that expensive to start with. I think we paid $300 off the shelf for 2 at Menards, including flashing kits. These are big units too.

Our new ones don't gain much heat since they are double paned with a good seal. The old ones had lost their seal and were fogged, which wasn't the worst problem (had to resheet an area of roof around one due to poor installation.

The solar tubes look interesting too. We've talked about installing one in my office which is kind of dark.

Don Bullock
09-06-2009, 2:00 PM
I had planned to have skylights in my shop and wish that I had them. The only thing stopping me was the local building code. According to it the skylights needed to be tempered glass which added too much to the cost.

Bruce Wrenn
09-06-2009, 8:28 PM
Among my many talents, I run a home repair business. Only once have I had to work on a Velux skylight. (The gutter from upper story was full, and sagged right over skylight, sending all the water from second story down right onto skylight.) I refuse to install other brands, as I don't want the liability. If a Velux (with Velux flashing kit) leaks, it was installed wrong. Enough said about my choice of brands?

Jim Becker
09-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I like the idea of sky lights and letting in much needed natural light, but agree with Matt that this is one place I wouldn't over-economize. Sky lights have to be constructed and installed correctly to reduce the chance of leaking and surplus units are probably surplus for a reason...and not a desirable reason, either. You don't need to buy "gold-plated" ones, but new is a good idea for this particular project. And make judicious use of the rubber ice dam membrane material during your installation, too.

Ken Cohen
09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks to all for the great advice.

My takeaway:

For most, a good idea.

Buy Velux (done: HD has good prices)

Final question:

For those with skylights, thoughts on skylight size and spacing?:

(space is ~12x30, though key work area is 12x15; average pitched roof faces southeast)

Thanks again for all the help.

Ken

Matt Meiser
09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Our master bath is probably about the 1/2 the size of your main work area and has a roughly 2'x2' skylight. Our kitchen is probably about that size and has one that is roughly 2'x3'. Both have straight-sided tunnels.

Roger Jensen
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Coming in late here, but I have four of them in my relatively small standalone shop (14x20). I got Velux from HD. There are two each each side of the roof. The ones on the cool side (always in the shade of some redwoods) open, the other two do not.

I probably wounldn't do it again, as the complexity of insulating the ceiling is way up. It also made installing the roof and shingles a hassle, but that was just a one time deal.

Since I built the shop with them I don't know what it would be like without them - I'd probably miss the light more than I realize.

Roger

Ben Franz
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Another vote for Velux here. I've seen a lot of cheaper plastic dome skylights over the years. For the relatively small price bump, Velux are an order of magnitude better product. I wouldn't install anything else 'cuz I'm not in the skylight warranty repair business.

One minor point: I found the Velux specs for rough opening size to be confusing. The units have an integral slot to receive the edge of the sheetrock and the Velux dimensions never seemed to match the actual size of the unit. I always built to match the actual unit dimensions and that worked fine. Of course, this could all be brain failure on my end :eek:.

Rick Potter
09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
I put in six 2' X 8' double wall skylights on the north facing roof of the shop when it was built. They do not seem to add to the heat, and during a sunny day I do not need lights, they work so well.

I also have installed four of the round ones in my house. When you go into the bathroom, it looks like the lites are on. I like Solartubes, sold at Lowes, because they have nice diffusers which spread the light. They also are double wall on the top. Others I have checked out don't seem made as well. These are about $200 for the 12(?) inch ones (the larger model). Be aware that you need an attic large enough that the tube length can be at least 21". I called the company about that, and that was their minimum recommended length, as the longer it is, the brighter it is. The tubes are VERY reflective inside, and you cannot even look into them, it's so bright. On a vaulted ceiling with 2 x 10 rafters we were able to get the 21" by raising it outside about 12". The unit comes with two 24" tubes. By the way, an extra 24" tube cost me $60! The kit comes with all the flashing plus a tube of caulk.

If your roof faces North, I would consider the tubes because of heat gain.

Rick Potter

Gary Radice
09-07-2009, 1:43 PM
Another less leak prone option might be to add clearstory windows (up high on the walls). They let light deep into the shop, are protected from weather and solar heat gain by the eaves, let light in without prying eyes seeing into your shop. For a little extra you can make them openable for ventilation, too.

Jim Foster
09-10-2009, 7:28 PM
One suggestion I would make is to pull Sketchup down from Google and model your Workshop (not the tool locations, just the structure) add the skylights, North direction and zip code and you can simulate the light you'll get. Might help you see where you need tolocate them and how many.

Should only take several hours.