PDA

View Full Version : Dies Irae

Lionel Mercier
09-06-2009, 6:03 AM
.....Confutatis maledictis,
flammis acribus addictis,

I translate literarily:
Angry Day.....( this day, and the trumpets will resonate, and the Woodturner will go down into his basement )
.....woods infested with worms will be condemned to the stake.

Not all will be salvaged...This yes !
That is so.

It was a non finished bowl, I found it infested. Condemned to the stake. Full stop !
Smitten with remorse when it start burning in the BBQ...
The rim was already notched but became chared in addition. Say ebonized/carbonized...
I've tried to mark the worms holes with red paint. The chared rim is very brittle, it was hazardous to handle.
Requiescat in pace yet.
Lionel

PS: it's apple tree. In the Holy Books it's not first time we got some problem with this tree

Brent Grooms
09-06-2009, 7:06 AM
I dont know how you got the paint in the worm/bug tracks but that is KOOL!! (insert 2 big thumbs up smiley here)

Norm Zax
09-06-2009, 7:07 AM
We'll you've obviously showed that bowl who the boss is! And the worms should all be medium rare, crispy yet still servable. Finally - the bowl - interesting surface effect. An interesting experiment indeed!

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Lionel - I have to admit that this is the first time I have seen a painted, charred, worm infested Apple bowl! Sure has some character! Don't know if I would recommend this finishing method for other bowls but it sure turned out cool this time! Very interesting!

ROY DICK
09-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Now I realy like that. Great save.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2009, 11:31 AM
That is different and cool.

curtis rosche
09-06-2009, 12:49 PM
how are you going to put finish on it? and how did you get a total surface burn like that?

Lionel Mercier
09-06-2009, 2:14 PM
@ Steve
I'll not to do a second attempt.
@ Curtis
about burning:
I put the bowl in the BBQ and immediately it blaze up on the rim.
with the remorse, I removed it and put the rim in earth (in order to blow out)
afther it became cold, I put it on my chuck (at this time there remain still a spigot) and at 500rpm, I tried to sand
not easy because the bowl was out of round and the rim was brittle. Sand by hand.
The worms holes where painted by hand. Excess removed by sanding. spigot was cut afther 5 coats of varnish
and polishing with steel whool.
And there is the outcome...
Friendly, Lionel

David Hullum
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
It looks like a volcano upside down. I really like it!!

Mike Golka
09-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Now that's a conversation peice!! Well done.

Harlan Coverdale
09-10-2009, 2:32 AM
Very different, but I like it. :)