PDA

View Full Version : Glass Ornament Display Stand

Mike Peace
09-05-2009, 9:11 PM
I am trying to get creative for an upcoming Christmas Gift show in my neighborhood. I hope to sell a few ornaments.

I got this vase from Michaels for $3 and turned a top of cherry with a screw eye in the bottom to suspend the ornament from. The other one I turned from spalted maple with an inset for a large candle. I am interested in feedback on this display idea. Yeah, I can see that the ornament cord needs to be shortened. What do you think oth the concept? Which do you prefer?

Brian George
09-05-2009, 9:18 PM
Personally, I think the one without the candle keeps emphasis on the ornament, where it should be. Just mho.

Scott Gibbons
09-05-2009, 9:31 PM
I agree. While both a nice, I prefer the one without the candle

Gary Max
09-05-2009, 9:41 PM
Glass breaks----I would pass

George Morris
09-05-2009, 9:52 PM
I like the first one no candle.Good idea! What do you charge for the ornament? G

Mike Peace
09-05-2009, 10:04 PM
My wife prefers the one with no candle as well. It needs a shorter candle in any case. I am thinking it might look good in the middle of a platter. I am trying to figure out how to display in different ways that might appeal to a customer.

I am thinking about $35 for the hollowed globe ornaments like the one shown. Too much time to make to charge much less. All of them have some figure or spalting. You can see them in my picture album on this site. I have a friend that sells bottle stoppers for the same price and they are a lot faster to make. If the ornaments don't sell I can always give them away to friends and relatives.

Steve Schlumpf
09-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Mike - that's an interesting idea! I tend to agree with everyone else about liking the one without the candle. The one with the candle seems top-heavy to me or out of balance. I wish you luck with sales on whichever design you decide to go with!

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Great idea Mike. I also like the one with no candle.

Tom Wilson66
09-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Your ornament is much better than mine:(, but I think I like the base on mine. Gives it more of a finished look, IMHO:rolleyes:. Made this one about a year ago, the jar cost about the same at Hobby Lobby.

Richard Madison
09-06-2009, 1:09 AM
Might be good to eliminate the twisty/gnarly part of the hanger cord. As a potential customer I would not know if just the ornament or the whole thing was for sale. You mean I don't get the jar and lid included for that price?

Leo Van Der Loo
09-06-2009, 1:57 AM
The Idea is nice and the one with just the ornament I would prefer over the other one, BUT you are taking away the tactile part, I have the feeling that you'd get a better feedback of something like a handmade wooden piece when you can actually hold it, touch and feel it, maybe I'm wrong, but I think people buy wood for the feel as much as the looks, just my gut feeling on it.
I certainly would give them a choice in handling some as well :confused: :)

Steve Mawson
09-06-2009, 2:39 PM
Agree with Leo on having some to hold. Also like the glass only display.

Brent Smith
09-06-2009, 3:54 PM
Hi Mike,

Definitely the first one is better suited to show off your work. You might want to make a few 'banana hanger' stands to show off a few of the ornaments while at the same time giving potential customers a chance to touch them.

Mike Peace
09-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I think I like your wood base, Tom. Perhaps just a touch shorter. I will try that.

I agree with the comments about folks need to be able to handle the ornaments. I made a small sign that says "Please Touch!" to go on the table.

Thanks for all the feedback.