PDA

View Full Version : rusting veritas plane

Justin Cavender
09-05-2009, 8:02 PM
I bought a bevel up smoother about four months ago and the sole and blade are starting to be taken over by surface rust I keep it in my bedroom because it is by far the nicest tool I own so I only bring it out to use it is there anything I can do to stop the rust?

Pohgunn Ooi
09-05-2009, 8:10 PM
G'day Justin,

For the sole, a thin layer of wax should keep it rust free. The next time you use it, the wax will act as a lube. You may need to reapply during usage for easier planing. If you wax it right after usage, it will protect against rust and is ready for next planing.

As for the blades, I use Camellia oil. It is a light oil that'll will not mark your work. I spread a thin layer on it with cloth. Don't need to get the "branded" stuff. I think you can get a bottle from the cooking oil section of the grocery store.

Again, you'll need to reapply from time to time as the oil will dry out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

GUNN

Doug Shepard
09-05-2009, 8:25 PM
Is this kept in the box or otherwise covered? Just sitting out in the open would probably require more periodic cleanings/waxings than if it's kept in the box or in a plane sack.

Joel Goodman
09-05-2009, 8:30 PM
I use a light coat of Hoppe's #9 Gun Oil that says it's good for wooden gunstocks as well as metal parts. I apply a thin coat on the blades and the plane body. I wipe off the sole of the plane before I use it with a dry cloth. Seems to work fine.

John Keeton
09-05-2009, 8:43 PM
Justin, is your bedroom next to the bathroom? I wonder if the moisture from the shower could be the culprit??? The cool iron/steel, and the hot, moist air is not a good mix.

I used to apply wax to my planes, but I now use camellia oil to the entire plane, and I have had much better luck preventing rust.

Justin Cavender
09-05-2009, 8:46 PM
John good call my bedroom is next to the laundry room not the bathroom I am sure the clothes dryer produces humidity. Guess I should get some camelia oil.

Brian Kent
09-05-2009, 9:11 PM
Justin,

I would be happy to try some different solutions for you. If you can just send it to my home address I'll run it through my full 7-year diagnosis, free of charge.;)

Brian

Justin Cavender
09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Brian I'll box it and the board stretcher up in a flat rate box and ship it off tuesday when the post office opens.

paul cottingham
09-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I bought a veritas plane sock for mine, and that really helped.

Tim Put
09-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Your good intentions may be the source of the problem.
If your workshop and your room differ much in temperature, you may be causing condensation whenever you bring it into the warmer air while it's still at the temperature of the colder room.

It's both the only tool you're moving back and forth, and the only tool rusting on you.... :)

Andy Hsieh
09-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I just have a layer of the anti rust paper that planes usually come with as a bottom layer on the shelf my planes sit - got it from LN a few years back - no issues with any of my planes rusting at all.

Might want to give it a try - it's cheap - you don't have to put any coating on your plane at all.

glenn bradley
09-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I just use paste wax and use it often. My LV planes live in a drawer in an uninsulated garage. No problems.

Brian Ashton
09-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Justin, is your bedroom next to the bathroom? I wonder if the moisture from the shower could be the culprit??? The cool iron/steel, and the hot, moist air is not a good mix.

I used to apply wax to my planes, but I now use camellia oil to the entire plane, and I have had much better luck preventing rust.

Sleeping at night will fill a room with a lot of humidity if you don't like sleeping with the door and window open just waiting till the early morning when the dew point falls from the room cooling off.

I must be the run on sentence king

Casey Gooding
09-06-2009, 9:28 AM
So basically, anything that creates a barrier between the metal and moisture will work. Whether that's oil or wax is up to you. Also, be sure to wipe off your fingerprints and any dust before you put it away.

I use a "Woobie" that I spray with whatever oil is closest at hand. Sometimes it's Camellia oil, sometimes WD-40 or whatever is close by. I give my tools a good wipedown before I put them away and have little to no rust problems. In North Florida, that's pretty impressive.

glenn bradley
09-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Casey hit a point I missed, wipe them down before storing. Your sweat and skin oil is a killer.

Bill White
09-06-2009, 3:56 PM
Hmmmmmm? Keeps his plane in the bedroom? Sounds like an OCD to me. :eek:
Bill

Justin Cavender
09-06-2009, 6:11 PM
No OCD here I keep all my planes in my room my workshop is a horrible place to store tools it is an unisulated rusted up 8x10 storage shed like you see at lowes. My planes would be ruined after a week out there.

Fred Krow
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Justin,

Are you storing the plane in the original LV cardboard box?? The cardboard is highly affected by moisture in the air.

I had some light rust problems some years ago with a few Record planes in the original boxes, even with light oil and the rust prevent paper wrapped. After a few years of non use they stained a little.

Regards,
FK

Rob Lee
09-08-2009, 9:56 AM
I bought a bevel up smoother about four months ago and the sole and blade are starting to be taken over by surface rust I keep it in my bedroom because it is by far the nicest tool I own so I only bring it out to use it is there anything I can do to stop the rust?

Hi Justin -

Please contact me at rlee@leevalley.com with your address, and I'll send you something to try ...

Cheers -

Rob

John Keeton
09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey Rob, no secret solutions are allowed ;):D

This is just one more example of the superb customer service from our friends at LV!! And, one more reason why I have several LV planes in my stable!
Hi Justin -

Please contact me at rlee@leevalley.com with your address, and I'll send you something to try ...

Cheers -

Rob

Justin Cavender
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow thanks Rob I am a lifelong customer with service like that!

Sam Takeuchi
09-08-2009, 4:22 PM
Oh shucks. I just returned from 6 weeks vacation and had my LV BU planes were rusty (Japan's summer is really humid). I tried commercial rust remover and found out that it didn't remove rust much and stained the base metal, so I ended up lapping LA jack and BU smoother.

P.S. I was working on something until I had to run to the airport, neglected on spending a few minutes wiping them with oil. Probably they'd have survived without rust if I did just that :D