PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor kitchen -- where to find stainless doors/drawers?

Eric Larsen
09-05-2009, 5:26 PM
Hey all,

While most of you are putting away the Webers for the season, my BBQ season is just beginning. This year, I'm going to do it right.

The Craigslist Fairy was particularly nice to me this week, in the form of a brand new 48" Kitchenaid built-in grill, with 850 sq. inches of cooking surface, three infrared burners (two rotisserie, one big searing grill). Really big sucker. Weighs about 300 pounds.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/app/1340238097.html

Now I have to build a barbecue island. I have concrete, a stainless steel sink, nearby power and water, tile, thinset and grout.

I need to buy steel studs for the frame, backer board, stucco, and most importantly, stainless access doors, so that the cabinet has some useful storage space.

Anyone have a resource for reasonably priced SS doors? Perhaps I should scour restaurant supply stores? All the websites I've found sell (for example) a single 18" door in the $200 range. I think that's outrageous. After all, the GRILL was only $700.

I'm also thinking of adding an outdoor oven -- for hearth-baked bread and pizza. Anyone have experience building one? (My masonry experience is negligible.)