PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried these? Woodcraft bp bit set

Michael Schwartz
09-05-2009, 4:40 PM
Got an email from woodcraft and they have this 170 piece brad point bit set on sale at a pretty reasonable price. I am in need of a set of BP bits and I would prefer the Lee Valley bits but they are out of my budget at the moment. Has anybody purchased this set from woodcraft, or seen them in person at a store. Are they any good?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020268/24543/Brad-Point-Drill-Bit-Set-170-Pieces.aspx?refcode=09IN09RL

The price seems kind of low so I am suspecting they might be of a harbor freightesq quality.

No affiliation with woodcraft btw.

ROY DICK
09-05-2009, 5:06 PM
If you get these, I would ask what they consider popular sizes. I would also want to know if it's 5 or 10 on the sizes you want to use. What is the requirements on returns if you decide you don't want them.
Will you be buying local or through on line?
Give them a call, and find out. Or if it is local go talk to them in person.
In my buys with them, if your are not happy they will make it right.
By the way, I have not used any of those bits. Just my thoughts.

Roy

Paul Wunder
09-05-2009, 5:15 PM
Michael,

For the price we know it can't be the best quality, but it can certainly fill a need for a hobbyist. I do not have that set, but I did buy a set of 10 or 13 Forstner bits from Woodcraft, also a ridiculously low price. I was pleasantly surprised at their quality for my occasional use. I also know that Woodcraft will stand behind their goods.

Eduard Nemirovsky
09-05-2009, 5:49 PM
I do have this set and for my purpose as a "hobbist" - it fit a bill. Good quality and when it dull very easy:rolleyes: I can throw:eek: it away.
Ed.

Zach England
09-05-2009, 6:46 PM
I ordered this set and got it yesterday. Not super sharp, but sharp enough for common uses. The size selection is good. I drilled through some MDF today and they seemed to work like any other brad point bit. Yes, they're cheap bits, but I consider them disposable and I am glad to have a little insurance against not having a single bit of a needed size for a while--even if they are single-use. The way I treat drill bits I seem to break the pricey ones just as quickly as I break the cheap ones, so for me they are easily worth $30. On a side note, the case they come in is surprisingly nice and sturdy. When the drill bit numbers dwindle down beyond the usefulness of keping them in the case I'll take the lining tray out and use it for router bits or something.

doug faist
09-05-2009, 7:48 PM
Michael - about 10 years ago I bit the bullet and bought a Lee Valley set of 25 or 30 bits up to 1/2". It was about $100 at the time, which for me was a BIG investment, but I have never regretted it. They've stayed sharp, they cut extremely well and if you should lose one (don't ask) it can be replaced.

Take your time on this decision.

Doug

Salem Ganzhorn
09-06-2009, 9:53 AM
I bought this set. They are not very sharp, dull quickly and the point is not dead center in all (or any?) of them.

Ted Calver
09-06-2009, 10:37 AM
To drift this thread a little...Are these drills sharpenable with one of those Drill Doctor's? I don't have one and have been thinking of getting one to try and get a little more life out of the cheap drills I always buy.

Randal Stevenson
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
To drift this thread a little...Are these drills sharpenable with one of those Drill Doctor's? I don't have one and have been thinking of getting one to try and get a little more life out of the cheap drills I always buy.

Brad points are not going to be brad points if sharpened on a Drill Dr. It is designed for split point bits.

Danny Thompson
09-07-2009, 9:59 PM
They're as good or better than anything at the big box stores, particularly better for woodworking than normal split point bits. If you aren't going to invest in a high quality set (e.g. Lee Valley), then you are better off with these than without them.

Russ Kay
09-08-2009, 6:29 AM
Almost 10 years ago I got a set of TiN-coated brad-point bits from Grizzly, and I'm still using them. Currently they list what looks like the same set in the same case, http://www.grizzly.com/products/Brad-Point-Bit-25-pc-Set-TiN/H1046, for $20 (I seem to recall paying closer to $30 back when); it's only a single bit of each size, but the ones I got were sharp, well made, and have held up well. I recommend them without reservation.

Roger Newby
09-08-2009, 6:48 AM
+1 for the Grizzly set.

John Lucas
09-08-2009, 8:08 AM
I got the brad point and the regular twist drill set about 4 months ago and they serve me well. I have 2 high quality sets and I am always missing one or another. These fit that app well. They only cost $30 and whether sharpest or what, they sure do the job. I have a Drill Doctor setup and that is great but doesnt work on bits I can't find in shop.

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2009, 9:47 AM
I've got the brad point set and other than the fact that I always need a bit just a tiny bit (no pun intended) larger than the biggest one, I think they are fine. No tears if I break one and I've always got extras.

Leo Vogel
09-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Salem - I think that is funny. The brad point is off center. I have enough problems drilling accurate holes without the point being off center. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a brad point?

Salem Ganzhorn
09-08-2009, 6:29 PM
Salem - I think that is funny. The brad point is off center. I have enough problems drilling accurate holes without the point being off center. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a brad point?

It depends on how far off center :). As another poster said these are usable in a pinch.

Chris Rosenberger
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I have the set. The bits are very good quality.

Chris Barnett
09-09-2009, 12:57 AM
What Salem said..ditto. Bought two sets trying to find decent bits. Quit trying after the second attempt.

Vince Shriver
09-09-2009, 4:35 AM

I'm with you Leo, it's like say my truck tire is flat, but only on the bottom. Makes those bit kinda useless I'd think.