PDA

View Full Version : Block plane uses?

James Baker SD
09-05-2009, 3:16 PM
In a similar vain to my previous post, are block planes needed if you have a lot of specialty planes (small smoother, chisel plane, shoulder plane, etc)? Put another way, are they mainly a multi-purpose tool to cover many uses or do they have a function at which they excel like no other tool? Thanks.

James

Brian Kent
09-05-2009, 3:23 PM
Multi-purpose. If starting over I would buy a block plane before any other.

glenn bradley
09-05-2009, 4:15 PM
I was wisely instructed to buy a block plane first and a shoulder plane second. Good advice for me as it turns out. I tried a Groz block plane and it is still in a drawer here somewhere(?). I use a LV low angle with multiple blades and a LV medium shoulder. I still haven't needed a third plane but, I run tailed tools for large surface work as well as hand tools for the details. If I was more Neander, I'm sure I would have more planes by now but, I think the starting point would still have been correct.

Sean Hughto
09-05-2009, 5:05 PM
The only one I'd really hate to do without is my rabbet block. That thing is handy.

My little bronze low angle is convenient too for minor adjustments and sits nicely in an apron pocket.

Keith Christopher
09-05-2009, 8:44 PM
The only one I'd really hate to do without is my rabbet block. That thing is handy.

I LOVE my LN rabbeting block plane ! OMG I would spaz out if someone took it ! That plane gets more use than any other of my planes.

Every woodworker needs a good block plane, end of story. Spend the money it is worth it !

RickT Harding
09-05-2009, 11:05 PM
The two big places I use the block are end grain cleanup/tweaks on assembled things and chamfering/rounding edges. I don't know what else I would reach for if I didn't have my low angle block there.

Jim Koepke
09-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I love my #65-1/2 block plane. For shooting end grain, nothing in my shop can beat it. Block planes are also handy for chamfering an edge or treating a small area.

I do not use the higher angle block planes very much as they seem to be much like a regular bench plane.

jim

Sam Takeuchi
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I think block plane's specialty is small flat/end grain/chamfer/trimming/whathaveyou planing tasks. Other specialty planes are just that, they specialize in certain tasks, but most of them aren't designed for general planing tasks. Unless working in a assembly line (that uses hand planes!) and doing only one task, it's kind of hard not to use a block plane. I like my Stanley #60 more than any other plane, including LV BU planes. It just feels so nice in hand, so light and comfortable. I like it so much that I have 4 blades that are honed to low to high angle, so I can do a lot more things with it.