PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Sawmill Creek

Brian Kent
09-05-2009, 1:20 PM
I want to deeply thank all of the people who have created and built up Sawmill Creek.

First, aside from watching a demo at a woodworking show or two, this is the only training I have in woodworking. You all have led me to books and videos and have given out unbelievable amounts of training and encouragement.

Second, the particular combination of standards are so helpful. Open discussion of ideas and techniques with a strict commitment to friendliness. I don't need one more place in life for insult and hate. It's good that we close that kind of thread.

I have often talked about the Creek in sermons, as an example of how an online community (or any community for that matter) can enjoy what we are doing with a minimum of friction.

Third, I truly wish there were such a quality site for my vocation as well as for my hobby. So far I have not found one that will switch trolls to read-only status. Every time I have found a community it has had one or two people that just throw bombs of hate and insult until everybody is responding only to them, and then get hurt if somebody calls them on it.

When I think about starting such a community I am overwhelmed by the amount of work that would take (let alone the costs!) and give up on the idea of starting one myself.

So I am daily refreshed by the structure that you all have built, the regular attention of the moderators, and the incredibly generous daily input by us beginners and by the masters and top craftsmen of many areas of woodworking.

Thank you my friends for friendship, support of a marvelous hobby, and for positive sermon material. (Who knows what I might find today for the sermon tomorrow!):D

Brian

David Christopher
09-05-2009, 2:47 PM
Amen.........

John Keeton
09-05-2009, 3:12 PM
Brian, please don't preach about me! My life has already been the topic of far too many sermons!!

I do agree on the character of this community. The richness of talent and willingness to share is beyond anything else I have found out there in cyber world.

Brian Kent
09-05-2009, 4:00 PM
Brian, please don't preach about me! My life has already been the topic of far too many sermons!!

I do agree on the character of this community. The richness of talent and willingness to share is beyond anything else I have found out there in cyber world.

OK. I'm scratching out my 3 best "Life of JOHN KEETON" illustrations.

Brian

Paul Ryan
09-05-2009, 4:49 PM
I could not agree more about what a great place this is. I am very thankful to Keith and what he has been able to create. And thankful for all of the helpful and friendly people that participate every day. So, THANKS TO ALL THE CREEKERS!

ROY DICK
09-05-2009, 5:19 PM
Brian,
Great thread and I couldn't agree more.
Thanks for bringing this at a time needed. And to all my fellow Creekers a big THANKS for sharing the information that helps all of us.

Roy

Justin Cavender
09-05-2009, 6:31 PM
Brian
Right on I could not agree more this place is great and there is only one other online community that I know of that is as cordial and friendly as this place.:D

Jim O'Dell
09-05-2009, 7:12 PM
Should I dare say, "Preach on, Brother!" ? :D You are right, the Creek is a special place, with lots of special individuals. Jim.

Scott Shepherd
09-05-2009, 7:36 PM
I'm amazed how many people don't think this place is worth the price of 2 cups of coffee per year. I'm on paid forums that cost me over $100 a year to be a member of (and they are worth it to me). I'm really surprised that there's not a 70-80% contribution rate at $6 a year. Instead, less than 10% or something, didn't Keith say?

$4 for a cup of coffee from Starbucks that's over and done in 15 minutes. $6 for an entire year and access to all the help you could ever want from woodworking to computer help to laser engraving. Plus, they give cool things away for free.

It's a shame so many people don't see the value of what's right in front of them.

Rich Stewart
09-06-2009, 1:15 AM
That reminds me. When do we donate?

Scott Shepherd
09-06-2009, 9:17 AM

Early and often, just like voting :D

Curt Harms
09-06-2009, 9:37 AM
Early and often, just like voting :D

I didn't know you were from Philly:D

Brad Wood
09-06-2009, 10:50 AM
being self taught myself, I couldn't agree more. The only book I've purchased is the Flexner book on finishing, other than that this site has been my primary resource. I am a member of a couple other woodworking sites (mostly inactive on them), and I was a lurker here for a long time. biggest reason was that at first I could tell the caliber of skills at this site was very high and it was a bit intimidating. After lurking for a while and realizing you all are a bunch of great folks, I started participating (mostly asking for advice). I've learned so much from discussing and reading here, I don't think I'd be where I am today in my hobby (not that I'm anything great yet, but I can tell in the work I am turning out that I have improved significantly in the past year).

So, thank you all.

edit: oh, look, my join date as this month last year... how about that. Its my anniversary :)

Matt Stiegler
09-09-2009, 8:12 PM
I want to deeply thank all of the people who have created and built up Sawmill Creek.

You all have led me to books and videos and have given out unbelievable amounts of training and encouragement.

... the particular combination of standards are so helpful. Open discussion of ideas and techniques with a strict commitment to friendliness.

a big +1 to that.

Sam Layton
09-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Brian, very well said.

Sam

Brian Kent
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
If it's any comfort, I didn't include any of you in Sunday's sermon*

*…and even if I did, it would only be the good part.

Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2009, 11:25 PM
:o Whew!:o:rolleyes:

John Keeton
09-10-2009, 6:16 AM
If it's any comfort, I didn't include any of you in Sunday's sermon*

*…and even if I did, it would only be the good part.

BrianBrian, if I had been the topic, and you included only the good part, your folks would have gotten out early and you would have been applauded for the short sermon!:D

John Schreiber
09-10-2009, 9:10 AM
Amen.........
+ 1 with feeling.

Rob Russell
09-10-2009, 9:34 AM

You should get an automatic reminder when your subscription date is coming up.