PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a good band saw!

Robert Waeiss
09-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I'll be honest and say this, I really don't know who makes a good band saw and who to stay away from? I've done my research and I'm more confussed than ever. I've thought about the grizzly in a 17", but the problem is if something goes wrong there is no dealer to talk to. I've been to the woodcraft store in Grand Rapids and they suggested the new Delta or even a Rikon. I just want a good band saw with decent horsepower( 1hp or more) and something that I don't have to mortgage the house to buy. Oh yeah the wife says to get what I want!!:D

Kyle Iwamoto
09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
You'll need to say what your plans are. Resaw, general cutting, delicate work. Hard to say if we don't know what you want to do with the saw. Do you need the 17" capacity? Are you going to make puzzle boxes. Finger joints.

Loren Hedahl
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
When I go to the woodworking shows I'm often amazed at the intricate cuts the guys demo'ing make using just standard saws made by Delta, Ridgid, etc.

Some have tricked-out guides or special blades that are being promoted, but the saws themselves are just the common, inexpensive ones available anywhere.

Then you have, on the other side, the guys showing off their huge, expensive, heavy iron saws. But you know what? I've never seen them demo'ed. They just are there to be admired, I guess!

Now, I'm sure when it comes to heavy duty resawing, these guys can show their stuff and with the right blade and guide setup they could also be made to do the intricate cuts.

For myself I have an old Sears aluminum frame 12 inch saw that is outfitted with a narrow blade that I use most. It's frame isn't strong enough to properly tension more than about a 3/8 inch blade, in my opinion. I also have a larger saw for wide blade use, but seldom use it, since I haven't got into much resawing yet.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Robert,

Go to Amazon and buy Mark Duginske's latest book "The New Complete Guide to the Bandsaw". It's $13.16 currently.

It is a wonderfully written and illustrated book that even has a chapter on what to look for in a bandsaw and what to look for if you are buying a USED bandsaw. Great reference material!

glenn bradley
09-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Good info so far, I'll try to add if I can. Establishing what you plan to do will pretty much lead you to the saw you need to do it. Do you plan to buy rough cut or over sized lumber and mill your own parts? Will you make "bandsaw boxes" with graceful curvy lines or sweeping arcs for cabinet footings and headpieces? If you will do both, a larger saw can do smaller work but, obviously, not vice versa. Riser blocks on 14" saws can do the resaw work that many folks require . . . ordered Mark's book yet? You'll get as many opinions as owners ;-)

Like the Grizzly G0490 platform, the Grizzly G0513 platform has so many satisfied owners with so little reported trouble in relation to the number in use, I was confident in buying the G0490X and G0513X and have been very happy. My G0513X was used and works perfectly. Even if you have a local dealer for saw X, Y or Z, few of them "fix" anything and will simply be a go between for replacement parts or, in a worst case, the whole machine.

All that being said; many folks are very happy with a standard Delta-like 14" saw. They come in an array of horse powers, quality levels and variations of bells and whistles. The cast iron 14" probably has the most widely available after-market goodies so customizing is easier if that is you thing. In the end, your research and a laundry-list of what you plan to do with the saw will help narrow the field. Enjoy the ride.

jerry nazard
09-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Like the Grizzly G0490 platform, the Grizzly G0513 platform has so many satisfied owners with so little reported trouble in relation to the number in use, I was confident in buying the G0490X and G0513X and have been very happy. My G0513X was used and works perfectly. Even if you have a local dealer for saw X, Y or Z, few of them "fix" anything and will simply be a go between for replacement parts or, in a worst case, the whole machine.

I'll second what Glenn posted. If you go with a larger saw, I can attest that the Griz G0513 is a great value. I really like my saw and use it a lot!

Andrew Joiner
09-05-2009, 12:09 PM
The 14" saws are the most common and most versatile.

I got an 18" Rikon from Woodcraft and hauled it 1 hour home. Rikon was good at sending me parts to get my new saw running true but I finally got tired of rebuilding a new saw! I hauled it back and got a refund. It's a heavy saw and it was a pain to load and unload twice. I may have gotten a "lemon".

I was hesitant to buy another Asian saw with out seeing it. I talked to Grizzly and they said they pay the freight back if the saw needs as much work as the Rikon did. I got reviews from creekers that liked the 21" Grizzly and got one. Way higher quality than the Rikon. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

From what's said over and over here the Grizzly bandsaws from about 2003 or newer are good saws. The 14" and 17" are in many creekers shops and they are happy with them.

Robert Waeiss
09-05-2009, 5:31 PM
Good point, I don't think I ever said what I want to do with it. I'll for the most part be doing a lot of resawing, I have a great source for barn beams. ( oak, hichory, ash, and even some cedar and what I think is walnut) I'm also gonna be doing some delicate work as well.

Dan Mitchell
09-05-2009, 6:04 PM
Love my 14" Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457. 2HP, a 6" fence and a 10.125" resaw capacity. Not the cheapest 14", but FWW gave it the "Best Value" in their 2007 review of 14" bandsaws. I see Grizz is offering free shipping on it at the moment.

Myk Rian
09-05-2009, 6:34 PM
Good point, I don't think I ever said what I want to do with it. I'll for the most part be doing a lot of resawing, I have a great source for barn beams. ( oak, hichory, ash, and even some cedar and what I think is walnut) I'm also gonna be doing some delicate work as well.
If you're going to be re-sawing barn beams, a 14" will be too small. Look for something that WILL take a wide blade (3/4" - 1")and has at least 2hp. For the delicate sawing a 9" may be right. craigslist is a good place to find good used tools.

Curt Harms
09-05-2009, 6:54 PM
Think big. I have a Rikon 10-325 which has 13" resaw and would probably do a little of that type work but if I were planning on doing much at all I'd be looking for a bigger saw. For doing fine work with narrow blades the guides on the bigger saws probably won't work well. If I were doing scrolling and curved work with a larger saw I'd look at Carter's blade stabilizers (http://carterproducts.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=14). You'd have to check to make sure there's a model available for the saw you choose. Over time I find myself using a band saw more and table saw less. The biggest thing with ripping with a band saw is that cuts from commonly available blades need to be planed or jointed. A table saw with a good blade can produce glue ready rips. The infeed and outfeed areas are typically not as long as a table saw so you need to think about that. I use roller stands and that has worked out okay so far.

HTH

Danny Burns
09-05-2009, 7:09 PM
Robert,

Go to Amazon and buy Mark Duginske's latest book "The New Complete Guide to the Bandsaw". It's $13.16 currently.

It is a wonderfully written and illustrated book that even has a chapter on what to look for in a bandsaw and what to look for if you are buying a USED bandsaw. Great reference material!

I'll second that!!!
This should be the first purchase of anyone who wants to do bandsawing.

I also noticed that Woodcraft have the Rikon 18" on sale.

Philip Johnson
09-05-2009, 7:42 PM
Robert, Go as big as you can afford for resawing those old beams. Minimax has a video on their website of their MM16 doing a little resawing, it will give you an idea of what a good saw can do. http://www.minimax-usa.com/

There are 3 great Italian saws Mini Max...Laguna...and Agazzani that are worth a look.

Don Dorn
09-05-2009, 7:47 PM
I bought a G0555 Griz when they first came out and have no plans to upgrade because the riser gives it the ability to do whatever I need. If I had it to do over again though, I'd go with a G0513 and for your tasks - go at least that big or you won't be happy.

Robert Waeiss
09-05-2009, 8:47 PM
I would like to thank everyone for there GREAT advice. That has helped clear some of the confussion. I'm really leaning toward getting a grizzly either the 17" G0513x2B or the 19" G0514X it's less than $100 difference. I'm wondering if I use the smaller blade (1/4") if I will be able to do some curve work. I'm trying to make some outdoor furniture that needs a curve along the backrest.

Phil Thien
09-05-2009, 9:04 PM
Barn beams are heavy. I'd get someone w/ a portable sawmill to saw them for me. But that's because my back always hurts.

Cary Falk
09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I am a happy G0513x2 owner.

Dave Lehnert
09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I believe in buying from a local dealer.

With that said. After the sale, the local dealer may be able to help apply some pressure with the mfg if a problem comes up but most likely will be of little help if a repair is needed down the road. They just sell, Not service.

I would not be afraid to buy a Grizzly at all. Any problem that has come up here on Sawmill Creek was resolved. Most times by the President of Grizzly himself Shiraz Balolia.

Off hand, Anyone know the name of the President of Delta or JET?

glenn bradley
09-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm wondering if I use the smaller blade (1/4") if I will be able to do some curve work.

1/4" blade on the G0513X with a circle jig: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=125860&d=1250863516

Stephen Edwards
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
If your wife said that you can get whatever you want, and if you have room, buy two band saws! That way you can have one that's always set up for resawing and ripping and a smaller one set up for curved work!

Just explain to her in as few words as possible the merits of having two saws.:D

I wouldn't be in the least bit concerned about buying a saw from Grizzly or some other non-local source, as long as they have a good reputation for CS. Some people prefer to support local businesses and I understand that. I'm not knocking it, either. For me, and many others on this forum, there isn't a local business option for buying quality woodworking machines.

You're not likely to take a Band Saw in for servicing, anyway. If some parts goes south on you or if you want to add some bells and whistles you're likely to do that yourself. That's how you'll get to know your machine. If you have specific questions about HOW to replace a part or do an upgrade, this is the place to ask.

Good luck with your choice.

Scott T Smith
09-06-2009, 9:24 AM
Something to consider - you mentioned resawing old barn beams. The questions that run through my mind are what size, what material, how long, how many, and how often?

It's like saying that you need to move 40,000 lbs. Your choices are to make 80 trips with a small pickup truck, 40 trips with a 1/2 ton pickup, 20 trips with a 1 ton pickup, 4 trips with a medium duty truck, or one trip with a tractor trailer.

The larger HP and blade size on the larger saws will speed up your rewawing significantly. The absolute fastest way to resaw beams is by using a sawmill, but if you only need the equivalent of 2 - 3 beams sawn per year then that would be overkill.

Resawing a significant quantity of barn beams on a 2 hp saw is like using the 1/2 ton pickup in the example above. Yes, it can be done but it will take a while to do a large volume.

Also, it would be a good idea to buy or borrow a very high quality metal detector. Used barn beams are typically full of metal, which is not the best thing for bandsaw blades...

You really might be better off with two saws - a 14" for your detail work and a 24" or larger for your resawing. There are a lot of used "heavy iron" bandsaws available for around $1000 that would really handle the resawing chores, (plus the cost of a rotary phase converter if you don't already have 3-phase).

Richard Jones
09-06-2009, 4:46 PM
....... and if you have room, buy two band saws! That way you can have one that's always set up for resawing and ripping and a smaller one set up for curved work!

I have a 14" set up with a small blade for curved work and an 18" set up with a 3/4" 3-TPI Lennox for everything else. Both are Rikons and I would buy two more in a heartbeat. Can't speak to any service from Rikon as I've never needed any for these two saws.

Rich

Robert Waeiss
09-06-2009, 6:00 PM
She did say I could get whatever I want, although my budget (and space) will only allow for one band saw. Hummmmm christmas is coming though

Robert Waeiss
09-06-2009, 6:10 PM
Scott I wish I could say exactly how often as I have to wait on my sources to say come and get it. I have 3 sources for this wood and all 3 are at different stages of their barn remodels. I'll probably only be resawing 4-6 beams a year for maybe 2 years. I do know that they are all doing a little at a time as their money permits, but I got first crack at the beams and other wood as they progress. I know for sure that 2 of the barns have oak and hickory in them. The other barn looks to be cedar and oak. The lengths range from 8'- 14' maybe some that are a little longer, but having said that I'll have to cut them to manageable pieces.

Scott T Smith
09-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Scott I wish I could say exactly how often as I have to wait on my sources to say come and get it. I have 3 sources for this wood and all 3 are at different stages of their barn remodels. I'll probably only be resawing 4-6 beams a year for maybe 2 years. I do know that they are all doing a little at a time as their money permits, but I got first crack at the beams and other wood as they progress. I know for sure that 2 of the barns have oak and hickory in them. The other barn looks to be cedar and oak. The lengths range from 8'- 14' maybe some that are a little longer, but having said that I'll have to cut them to manageable pieces.

Robert, for resawing a large beam every other month personally I'd want a fairly large saw - say something in the 5 hp / 24" or greater range.

Here is a saw that may be coming available that would really work well:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1078400#poststop

In a perfect world, you'd want something that included an industrial sized powerfeeder.

I used this Grizzly saw for resawing large beams in my old shop:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-Industrial-Bandsaw-7-1-2-HP-3-Phase/G0569

For the smaller work, I had a 14" Delta.

In my new shop, in addition to my sawmill I have this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-Dual-Conveyor-Horizontal-Re-Saw-Bandsaw/G0504

From a budget perspective, the "old large iron" usually sells for a lower price then newer, smaller iron. In a perfect world, search for a larger saw, such as a Moak or a Tannewitz, that already has a phase converter and power feeder with it. If you shop well, you might be able to find a complete setup for less than $1,500. Then buy a small saw for your resaw needs.

Phil Landwer
11-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Scott, I know I'm activating an old thread, but I can't find anyone that has the G0504.
How do you like it?
I've got a chance to pick up a used one, for a few thousand dollars.

Jim Barstow
11-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I got a grizzly 514x2 a couple months ago and it has been terrific. It replaced an old Inca saw which is a beautiful tool but just didn't have enough power to do what I wanted. I was worried that the Inca quality had spoiled me but the Grizzly appears to be very well made. One of my rules I use to figure out tool quality is to look places that are hidden. I looked at the Laguna and the welds were sloppy and not cleaned up.

Out of the crate, I could balance a nickel on the Grizzly table on its edge and turn the saw on. It didn't fall over.

Jim Matthews
11-03-2011, 7:25 AM
I would ask two pointed questions;

How will you prospect for metal embedded in the beams? One nail will ruin a $40 blade - FAST.
How will you manipulate each beam? Here's a timberframe (http://falbergsawz.com/) saw as an alternative.

Note the way the motor is used as ballast to get gravity on your side.