PDA

View Full Version : looking 4 Stanley 460 miter box + advise

jim hedgpeth
09-05-2009, 2:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a Stanley 460 miter box and saw, or one similar (358, miller falls, ect). I dont really have the time to haunt yard sales, and the ones I see on ebay seem high, since there are possible problems not visable.

I dont mind paying a bit more $ for one from a reputable person, and/or partially restored. I looked at The Best Things, but no luck right now, though I will be keeping an eye out.

Normaly I would go for a "new" tool, but many here seem to agree the older miter boxes are better than any of the new offerings. The Nobex Champ. was what I looked at for a while, but I maybe better off in the long run with a vintage set-up, from what I have read. I plan to get set up for sharpening hand saws soon, so thats not a problem. Eventualy I will need (ok... WANT :rolleyes:) a good dovetail, and cross cut saw, so I need to learn to sharpen them, same as handplanes and chisels.

Any advise would be helpful, as I am sure there are people here far more knowledgable than me.

Jim

Matt Evans
09-05-2009, 3:48 AM
I might actually have an extra, but I haven't cleaned out the shop I have across town yet. I will be going over to the shop Saturday or Sunday, I will check and see.

Sheesh! I looked on Ebay for one, just for kicks. Guy wants $100 for one that is kind of beat up! I think I paid $20-$30 a piece for the ones I have, and one of them was in PERFECT condition. That was a few years ago , though. . .

jim hedgpeth
09-05-2009, 3:57 AM
Matt,

Let me know when you get to it, what model it is and what you want for it. I would be a lot more comfortable buying one from a fellow Creeker. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Thanks,

Jim

Don C Peterson
09-05-2009, 8:50 AM
I picked the Millers Falls version of this miter box with a really nice Disston 28" back saw for $10 about a year and a half ago on fleabay (shipping was about $40 though). I have since seen them crop up in garage/estate sales.

All that doesn't mean much though if you are needing it now...

Tony Zaffuto
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I've got a few, and don't think I paid more than $20 or $30 for any one of them! Problem with _bay is the shipping cost of the miter box. Plus these things need packed correctly in order to not break the rather weak castings on some. For instance, I purchased on that auction site, an almost mint MF Langdon. When it was delivered, the part of the box used to set the angle was cracked in half. Crack didn't occur from shipping damage as there was not a mark on the box, but rather the guy who shipped it wedged pieces of hard blue foam into the box and around the tool and that caused the cracking.

Kevin Lucas
09-05-2009, 3:55 PM
I found one a similar Stanley but not sure of the model at a flea market for 15$. The only problem was that it was missing the back saw and still looking. They are out there if you keep your eyes peeled for good deals.

William B. Anderson
09-27-2009, 8:27 PM
Hi Jim
I'm new to Sawmill Creek. Seems like a great site! My 85 year old father just past onto me a Stanley model 460 mitre box that actually came from my mother's father (he only bought the best tools). The thing's a monster, I remember seeing it as a kid. Anyways, it's a 460 "SW" sweetheart model, with the original 30X6 inch backsaw. My dad says it still cuts like it was new. Like everyone's saying, nothing compares to it today. The label is legible so I'm going to call Stanley and see what they can tell me about it. Learning about its reputation, I probably won't want to part with it. Bill

jim hedgpeth
09-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I got one late last week, a model 358. Works great, I cant believe how tight it locks down. No wiggle at all, and dead on 90*+45*. It does cut a little slower than I anticipated, but is smooth, and should only get better as I get better at sharpening.

Thanks for all the help and offered saws everyone.

Jim

Richard Gross
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a Stanley 460 miter box and saw, or one similar (358, miller falls, ect). I dont really have the time to haunt yard sales, and the ones I see on ebay seem high, since there are possible problems not visable.

I dont mind paying a bit more $ for one from a reputable person, and/or partially restored. I looked at The Best Things, but no luck right now, though I will be keeping an eye out.

Normaly I would go for a "new" tool, but many here seem to agree the older miter boxes are better than any of the new offerings. The Nobex Champ. was what I looked at for a while, but I maybe better off in the long run with a vintage set-up, from what I have read. I plan to get set up for sharpening hand saws soon, so thats not a problem. Eventualy I will need (ok... WANT :rolleyes:) a good dovetail, and cross cut saw, so I need to learn to sharpen them, same as handplanes and chisels.

Any advise would be helpful, as I am sure there are people here far more knowledgable than me.

Jim
I have a 460 Stanley with saw, a wooden box it fits in and the original instructions on how to use it. It is in Ohio, not sure were you are. Give me an offer. If you need more info or pictures I can provide that for you.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Richard - looks like Jim was looking for one back in '09 (and sounds like he found one, too) Doesn't look like he's been on the site since Sept of 2011, either.