PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple Score- Ran out of Anchorseal

Rob Cunningham
09-04-2009, 5:13 PM
I picked up some Silver Maple logs today from a house have some trees taken down. The trimmer said "Take as much as you want" . Some pieces were 30" in diameter but I couldn't lift them. :( I did manage to get some good size logs in the van. I don't have enough Anchorseal to coat all the ends and the local store isn't open tomorrow. Will Kilz2 primer work as a substitute? Or would melted paraffin wax be a better choice? I have both on hand. As always, thanks for the help.

PS- If anybody is near the Ft. Washington area, there's plenty of wood there. Just let me know and I'll tell you where it is.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2009, 5:16 PM
I used cheap wal-mart latex paint and still have a couple left with it on that haven't cracked in over 2 yrs. I keep anchorseal now in 5 gal buckets. Congrats on a nice score.

Richard Madison
09-04-2009, 6:14 PM
Rob,
Either should work. The Kilz is intended to be a sealer and should be better than paint (use 2 coats). Paraffin needs to be quite hot (not just barely melted) to sort of bond to the wood instead of just lay on the surface and flake off later. Also have and use the paraffin. Be careful. If you do not have a convenient and safe way to heat the wax, might be better to use the Kilz.

ROY DICK
09-04-2009, 6:21 PM
Rob,
Try the local borg for latex paint.People always bring paint back that they do not like. You have to ask tho. El cheapo too.

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Rob - congrats on your wood score! Hope to see some photos of it! I agree with Roy - any place that sells paint will have the returns available dirt cheap! Not as good as anchorseal but will work (multiple coats) until you get to roughing the pieces out!

Rob Cunningham
09-05-2009, 8:50 AM
Thanks guys, I'll go with the paint. I added pictures of the wood to my original post.

George Guadiane
09-05-2009, 3:33 PM
I picked up some Silver Maple logs today from a house have some trees taken down. The trimmer said "Take as much as you want" . Some pieces were 30" in diameter but I couldn't lift them. :( I did manage to get some good size logs in the van. I don't have enough Anchorseal to coat all the ends and the local store isn't open tomorrow. Will Kilz2 primer work as a substitute? Or would melted paraffin wax be a better choice? I have both on hand. As always, thanks for the help.

PS- If anybody is near the Ft. Washington area, there's plenty of wood there. Just let me know and I'll tell you where it is.

If the trimmer is there, you could offer to pay him to cut some of the really big stuff into bowl blanks, so that you could lift it, in the future (just a suggestion).

curtis rosche
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
nice score. what part of horsham do you live in?

Rob Cunningham
09-06-2009, 11:27 PM
nice score. what part of horsham do you live in?

A couple blocks from the High School.

curtis rosche
09-07-2009, 9:41 AM
if you cant lift the logs, do what i do. use a ramp and a winch or pulley, and just pull it up the ramp into the vehicle

Burt Alcantara
09-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a lot of silver maple. I keep one end against the ground. In my environment, the ground end never cracks. The logs are usually stored under an eve (sp?) so I don't usually wax them. If I intend to let them age I'll wax the exposed end.