PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift idea, it is never too early

John Gregory
09-04-2009, 3:06 PM
We are thinking of making a Cell phone charging station, or some call it a cell phone valet. Many families have multiple cell phones and/or ipods or other MP3 players. We think this would be a good gift for the family. Do any of you know of plans for one of these? Or pictures of ones that you have designed and built?

Thanks in advance,

Adam Cavaliere
09-04-2009, 4:09 PM
Hey John,

I have considered making one of these too. I think just looking at one in the store should give you a good idea of what is required to build one. I was going to mock one up in sketchup, but haven't gotten around to it. Have you considered doing something like that if there are no plans out there?

Adam

Jim O'Dell
09-04-2009, 4:10 PM
You can check what Marc Spagnuolo did on his WoodWhisperer web site. I watched a video there where he gave it to a guy that does a Tech type radio show. Can't think of the guy's name, but he used to be on a cable channel TV show about computers and Tech gear...Tech Talk I think. But the valet was beautiful! Don't know if he has plans, but it would be easy to adapt just looking at his for ideas. Jim.

Chris Tsutsui
09-04-2009, 4:15 PM
I was watching DIY, and there was a quick How-to for a cell phone valet.

I thought it was a good idea because I've got two phones and I'm always fumbling around trying to find which charge connects to what and the cords look messy on my night stand.

This MDF black one is similar to the one I was going to make. A small drawer is good for throwing in junk from your pockets such as receipts, coins, or candy wrappers. :)

Actually I want one that stores my glasses and wallet too...

Wayne Cannon
09-05-2009, 1:14 AM
A usability thought:

Include a shelf or hook for a ladies purse.

I've been "designing" a charging station in my head for about two years now. My wife's cell phone and purse get separated when she removes the phone to charge it, and it sometimes takes several days to get the phone and purse back together again. I want her to be able to set her purse at the charging station to keep the two together -- even if she has to leave the plugged-in phone in her purse while it's charging.

Mike Bosdet
09-05-2009, 2:24 AM
I've also been trying to design one in my head. I have an iPod, a phone and a Bluetooth earpiece before we even talk about my wife's stuff! I was thinking of a remote-control caddy type stepped design that would have space underneath for the power supplies. Have to think about it some more but I'll be watching this thread with interest!