PDA

View Full Version : Talon vs. Vicmarc VM100

Jake Helmboldt
09-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I know this subject gets flogged to death, but I'm debating getting a new (high quality) chuck and I'm torn between the Oneway Talon and the Vicmarc VM100. I've seen some comments that the Vic is better in terms of remounting and also doesn't mar the tennon/foot in the way that the Talon jaws do. So I have four primary questions:

1. Are there any other benefits to the VM over the talon?

2. Is it true that Nova jaws will fit the Talon?

3. If you could get the Talon with 3 sets of jaws for the same price as the VM with only the standard jaws, would that make a difference in what you bought (or is the Vic really that much better)?

4. How much of a quality difference is there between the Vic and the Grizzly knock off? I don't like buying Chinese stuff, but man, the price is right!

Thanks, Jake

David Walser
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I know this subject gets flogged to death, but I'm debating getting a new (high quality) chuck and I'm torn between the Oneway Talon and the Vicmarc VM100.... So I have four primary questions:

3. If you could get the Talon with 3 sets of jaws for the same price as the VM with only the standard jaws, would that make a difference in what you bought (or is the Vic really that much better)?

4. How much of a quality difference is there between the Vic and the Grizzly knock off?...

Both the Vicmark and the Oneway are quality chucks. Differences in quality, if any, are so small that I don't think they should inform a buying decision. Instead, the two chucks represent different design philosophies. Those differences in design make the chucks better at different types of turning.

Allow me to try to respond to each of your comments, in turn.

Are there any other benefits to the VM over the talon? Yes. There are also disadvantages. The Vic's dovetail jaws allow it to securely grip a properly shaped tenon without crushing the wood's fibers. This makes the Vic excellent at turnings made from seasoned wood that require mounting and remounting -- such as boxes. The Oneway's serrated jaws are better at gripping green wood. However, those jaws tend to crush a tenon, making it more difficult to remount a blank and have it run true. Can a Talon be used for box making? Of course! Can a Vic be used to rough out a green wood bowl? Of course! The differences, while slight, are real. Sort of like comparing a minivan with a large SUV as a family hauler. Both will do the job and do it well, but there are differences to the two approaches that might make one better for one family and the other better for another family.
<skip>
If you could get the Talon with 3 sets of jaws for the same price as the VM with only the standard jaws, would that make a difference in what you bought (or is the Vic really that much better)? It depends. I've found that I don't switch jaws all that often. The great advantage of a chuck is speed. Switching from one jaw set to another takes time and all but destroys the purpose of using a chuck in the first place. It's nice to have the flexibility, but the extra jaws would not play much of a role in my own purchase decision. YMMV.
How much of a quality difference is there between the Vic and the Grizzly knock off? Do a search on the forum. You'll see many like their Grizzly chucks. You'll also see that a handful report quality issues with the chucks.

Good luck! I hope I worded this carefully enough that no one can reasonably accuse me of not liking any of the two chucks you asked about. I own one and have used both. I wouldn't mind owning both (and might someday).

ROY DICK
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Jake,
To me it is like a chevy or ford. I have the oneway chucks, but that is just me.
Either chuck brand is a good choise. I also have the apprentice chuck and have had no problems with that one.
I am sure others will chime in with their thoughts. These are just mine.
Just don't forget to get the proper insert for the spindle on your lathe.
Take care and enjoy no matter which one to decide to get.

Roy

RL Johnson
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I turn a lot of dried wood for boxes and really like the VM100 dove tailed jaws. If I was turning green wood I believe the serrated teeth have better holding power. I really like the VM100, very high quality, closed back and I can use a standard Allen wrench to operate the chuck when I misplace my Tee wrench.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I have the VM100 and love it. I like the Allen wrench T-handle and the closed back. All that being said I also bought the Grizzly H6267 for $99 and all the Vic jaws fit it just fine. Fit and finish are not quite the same as the Vic but I have 3 of them (lazy don't like changing jaws) and haven't had one bit of trouble. I use the Vic on green wood or dry for a couple of years or more now and have not had problems.

Jack Mincey
09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Both are good chucks. Hartville is having a 20% off sell, on turning stuff this month. The price on the talon with free shipping is hard to beat. Here's a link to their site. I will be placing an order for some stuff next week.
Jack
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11552

Greg Haugen
09-04-2009, 3:35 PM
I have two talons, along with a beall collet chuck. I like the oneway chucks for a few reasons. Even if that pricing isn't available, I'd buy Oneway's again and again. My worse accident on the lathe has been with a large VicMarc chuck's slides failed (broke) during turning. It was an error in manufacturing and they "fixed" it (improper metal composition), etc. but I've never used a VM since.

The jaws and accessories are more readily available; turning catalogs, woodcraft stores, Rockler stores, etc. VM's are basically only offered through catalogs.

As far as VM's not marring the wood fibers for boxes, etc. Not true. I have seen boxes that are made by some of the best of box makers. They were "rechucked" on a chuck with dovetail jaws and showed marks from the jaws. The center of the jaws don't "dig" in but the corners do everytime unless you prefectly match the diameter of the jaws when they're closed. If I wanted dovetail jaws, I'd buy a set of dovetailed jaws that are made by Oneway. With oneway, you have both options. Oneway jaws can also grip "square" stock as well, VM's-not really.

I also like the "straight" tenon. It's a nice option and makes several applications much easier. The strength of the hold of any chuck does not completely come from the tenon shape but from the "seat" of the top of the jaws to the wood. The cleaner, crisper that transition is-the stronger the hold. Most turners crush their tenons no matter what chuck. Way over tightened.

The open back of the oneway chucks has never been an issue. Easily blown off-rarely gets dusty though since there's air flowing through it as it spins. Dust will get into a closed back VM and does have to be disassembled to clean out.

When it does come to it, as already mentioned- "Ford or Chevy". Both are quality chucks. Oneway and VM are better than Nova's, but they're still a good little chuck as well. I'd look at price, jaw sets available, availability, and look at the applications you want to turn.

Just my two cents.

Scott Conners
09-04-2009, 6:09 PM
If you're interested in the Stronghold or Talon, there is a really amazing deal on Home Depot's website of all places -
Stronghold
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100375635/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)
Talon
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 (http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware/h_d1/N-arnkZ1xr5Z5yc1vZ6/R-100375631/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Chuck, insert, and #1, #2, and #3 jaws all for really good prices. $213.75 for the Talon, $266.25 for the Stronghold. Best prices I've seen for all those bits and pieces together.

Alan Zenreich
09-04-2009, 6:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is another difference.

Oneway chucks tighten the jaws by turning the wrench clockwise.

Vicmarc and Nova chucks tighten by turning the wrench counter clockwise.

You can get used to anything. I chose a OneWay Talon chuck for my lathe.

Bob Hamilton
09-04-2009, 8:43 PM
I have three Oneway chucks (two basics and a Talon) and a Supernova II. I prefer the Oneway chucks. The Oneway jaws will fit on my Supernova chuck but the Nova jaws will not fit on the Oneway chucks. It has to do with the ridge on the back of the jaw that fits into the groove machined into the face of the base jaw. The Oneways are a taper fit and the Nova jaws are a square fit. The location and width of the ridge and the screw holes are the same, but the square ridge on the Nova jaws will not seat into the tapered groove on the Oneway chucks. The tapered ridge fits fine into the square groove and does not have any slop, so the root width of the tapered ridge must be the same as the width of the square ridge.

Take care
Bob

Ryan Baker
09-04-2009, 9:07 PM
If you're interested in the Stronghold or Talon, there is a really amazing deal on Home Depot's website of all places -
Stronghold
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100375635/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)
Talon
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 (http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware/h_d1/N-arnkZ1xr5Z5yc1vZ6/R-100375631/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Chuck, insert, and #1, #2, and #3 jaws all for really good prices. $213.75 for the Talon, $266.25 for the Stronghold. Best prices I've seen for all those bits and pieces together.

Scott, you have mentioned this in several threads. The #1 and #3 jaws are NOT included in those deals. It is the standard package with the #2 jaws and an insert. It's still a decent price, but not a lot better than the other deals out there. (There is a phrase in the Talon listing that is a little misleading, but it does not say the jaws are included. The Stronghold listing doesn't even have that phrase.)

Steven DeMars
09-04-2009, 9:36 PM
The wife and I each have a new JET Mini 1014.

We have (1) VICMARC 3 1/2" chuck with just about every jaw made for it . . .

I know, I did not need them . . . Bought before I ever turned anything . . .

Anyway, we now need a second chuck . . . Would the ONEWAY Talon be a good second chuck or am I better off with another Vicmarc 3 1/2" since I have all the jaws . . . Can I get that same gripping action with, let's say Vicmarc Shark Jaws?

Steve:)

Jake Helmboldt
09-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I think I got all the answers I needed to make a choice. Bob H. thanks for clarifying the interchangability of the jaws with Nova jaws.

The Hartville deal is a steal and I may need to jump on that. Regarding the HD pricing, the Stronghold does come with extra jaws, but the Talon deal is not as clear. The wording led me to believe it does as well (they say the spigot and #3 jaws make a great "package") and even some of the Talon listings are not consistently worded, so no telling. But the Hartville deal comes out almost as cheap, so I'd rather give my $$ to them anyway.

Scott Conners
09-05-2009, 1:42 AM
Ryan, you may be right. When I first saw the deal a few weeks ago I searched for the oneway part numbers and came up with the actual chuck body plus 3 jaw kit. Now I can't seem to find that same information. Caveat emptor!

Brian Ashton
09-05-2009, 7:53 AM
I know this subject gets flogged to death, but I'm debating getting a new (high quality) chuck and I'm torn between the Oneway Talon and the Vicmarc VM100. I've seen some comments that the Vic is better in terms of remounting and also doesn't mar the tennon/foot in the way that the Talon jaws do. So I have four primary questions:

4. How much of a quality difference is there between the Vic and the Grizzly knock off? I don't like buying Chinese stuff, but man, the price is right!

Thanks, Jake

I've had both the Oneway product and the Vicmarc and I prefered the Vicmarc for fit and finish. It had a much smoother action for tightening up the jaws and I prefered the allen key hole. With the oneway having a proprietary key made it impossible to get in and tighten the chuck up in cramp spaces unlike the vicmarc were an allen key will work. It's easily remedied on the oneway by buying a second chuck key and cutting the shaft off... The stiffness in the gears was also easily remedied by grinding the teeth on the chuck key to improve the meshing.

I've not bought a chuck in years so this information is most likely dated.

John King
09-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Vicmarc chucks bought in the US tighten by turning clockwise - same as the Oneway chucks. - John