PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts, impressions from Woodworking in America 2009?

whit richardson
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone who attended can share how this one fared or their experiences. While I couldn't attend so far this year I'd like to go again sometime and am hoping PW is getting better at these.

?

Mike Brady
09-04-2009, 2:48 PM
I have attended both of the WIA events that have been held so far. I would really like to attend the next one, but can't due to time and budget priorities. I can tell you my impressions of the two and point out the good points.
First, let me say that these are completely unique events. They are nothing like the average woodworking show, for example. There are two major emphases: instruction; which is primarily classroom format lectures; and, shopping amongst the marketplace vendors. The lectures are spaced so that you attend a class and then have time to shop or mingle with the other conference attendees. You then repeat the process several times a day, with a different class of your choice. If you are looking for hands-on experience, this is not going to happen unless one of the vendors has tools to try, which some do. The classes have not been hands-on. The classes are taught by the best-known or most qualified people in that area of expertise. This is really a stellar line-up. The staff from PW is also there presenting or just available for one-on-one conversation. Another opportunity is seeing workbenches, tools, techniques that otherwise are just on the pages of magazines. You can talk to the creator of these items.
Let me say just a few things about the vendors. This is probably the only occasion where you will see makers of this caliber exhibiting in one place. Some of them are very small businesses that can't afford to be away from their shops for any period of time. Some are from Canada or Australia or England. Actually, a frustration for me was that most of the product shown must be ordered, some with long backorders. The foreign vendors are not allowed to leave any product behind in the U.S. because of customs regulations. Some vendors have a few of some items that can be purchased on site. In general, there are no discounts given.
There is food available, as you might expect. The keynote banquet and address are very worthwhile.
The tool Olympics was a very fun event at the last conference. You can compete for some prizes, one of which I won, but didn't receive because I couldn't attend the dinner.
These were the highlights for me. Others will have a different perspective. I can add that it is more fun if you know someone else who is attending. Try to connect with someone from your favorite forum, if you do go.