View Full Version : Burls burls burls everywhere ....

Roland Falk
09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow, had the pleasure last weekend, when passing through Massachusetts, to stop by and spend a lot of time drooling at Bad Dog burls.
http://www.burlsource.com/ (http://www.burlsource.com/)
called Rob up and asked if I could stop by, easy to find and he’s a great guy. Here are a couple of pics of what he has; all I can say is WOW. It was like being a kid in a candy store, every way you looked there where beautiful pieces of burl.
The burls on the white table are what I brought! Will definitely make another trip to his place next time I’m in the state. But boy are the burls heavy and hard. I’ve never turned a burl like these before.
So I have a couple of questions for you who have worked with hard burls. Where do I start – ie lathe speed, I know that the tools will have to be sharpened more frequently than turning regular wood. Use a faceplate or will setting between 2 centers OK. Any and all helpful hints would be appreciated.
Thanks Roland.

Rob Cunningham
09-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't offer any advice since I haven't turned any burls, but it sure looks like a cool place to visit:)

steven carter
09-04-2009, 1:27 PM
Roland,

Send me a couple of them and I will do an exhaustive study and get back to you:D. Seriously, nice haul, the copule burls that I've harvested locally, I treated like any other wood when actually turning, I just spent more time prior to turning thinking about orientation.

Steve

Aaron Howard
09-04-2009, 1:50 PM
nice haul, see that you have mostly red malle and at least one york gum. I turn aussie burls almost exclusively.

you will need to sharpen frequently mallee burls can be very hard and prone to chip if you are not using your sharpest tools, but the colors are worth it.

I have only used faceplates, but dont see why not between centers. Speeds same a turning other wood.

Please post some pics when you get them finished

Roland Falk
09-04-2009, 3:28 PM
Thanks Aaron - I will post when I have one done. Maybe this weekend.
I have never felt wood this hard before. Looking forward to it.

curtis rosche
09-04-2009, 4:20 PM
use the chuck. between centers wastes time, and you will have to make a flat spot on the wood anyways just to use them

Aaron Howard
09-04-2009, 4:58 PM
a red morrel I turned awhile ago, the mallee will be fairly similar

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2009, 5:09 PM
Sounds like a great place to visit and really nice burls you got there.

Richard Madison
09-04-2009, 6:20 PM
Good advice from Steven to spend some time studying best possible orientation.

Ryan Baker
09-04-2009, 9:19 PM
Yeah, that's a great company. Rob is a nice guy and ships fast. I have a bunch of stuff from there waiting for me, and I will be back for more.