PDA

View Full Version : Wood finish suggestions, please

Randy Digby
09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm working on my first wood project with the new laser and could use some help from the Creek. The material is 1/4" craft plywood made by Midwest Products and purchased at Michaels. The part is laser engraved and cut, which all went well. Here is the process followed:

- Laser cut and engrave the bare wood
- Lightly sanded with 320 grit to remove smoke stains
- Applied coat of Minwax Polycrylic - let dry
-Lightly sanded with 320 grit, applied another coat and let dry (3 Times now)

The part is looking good, but what I want is a more gloss, smooth finish (similiar to poured polyurethane) but with fewer applications. If this was a for-fun-craft, time would not be an issue, but I hope to add this item as a production item. What product/process would you recommend?

I prefer water based products for clean-up ease.

The base wood is light in color (not sure what tree it came from) and the engraving looks ok. I am certainly open to suggestions for some coatings or process prior to (or after) engraving that would enhance the engraving.

Other sources for laser friendly 1/4" plywood would also be helpful. The Midwest product laser cut very well.

Sure is fun exploring new ideas with the flexibility a laser offers over traditional rotary machines.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Garcia
09-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Randy,

Both MinWax and American Finishes make a glossy finish polycrylic, which is water based. You could try spraying the finish on vice brushing which would cut down on your production time. Just couple of thoughts.

Good luck.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dan Hintz
09-04-2009, 10:47 AM
I'd also put a coat of poly on before cutting... that would cut down on the sanding necessary to get rid of smoke damage.

Dave Garcia
09-04-2009, 6:21 PM
Randy,

Ooops. I think I told you wrong. It's General Finishes not American Finishes that has the water based polyacrylic. And they do make a satin, semi-gloss and gloss finish. I've used them all.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd