PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting My Delta Contractor Saw

Ed Lysne
09-12-2004, 9:51 PM
Well after nearly 10 years... it's time to adjust my Delta Contractor saw. It's clear that it needs adjustment as it's binding and burning as wood is fed thru it. I think I got it out of whack when I canked the blade over to do a 45 rip.

Any suggestions on how I approach this... special tools I might need?

Greg Heppeard
09-13-2004, 8:32 AM
Find your manual or you can possibly download one from http://www.deltamachinery.com/ . The tech department can help you with questions. I know that Woodcraft carries a couple of good tablesaw books and the required guages to help with the required adjustments. If you haven't done it yet, I'd suggest a link belt and balanced pulleys at the same time.

scott spencer
09-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi Ed - If you're going to go to the trouble to align the saw, you may want to look into installing a set of PALS. I think they're around $20 at Woodcraft.

Chad Young
09-13-2004, 3:06 PM
What are PALS?

Jim Fancher
09-13-2004, 4:30 PM
What are PALS?
PALS (Precision Alignment System) allows you to micro-adjust the rear trunnion to make the blade run parallel to the miter slots.

Pic of the PALS
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/graphics/calibrate/pals_ani1.gif

More info on the PALS
http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html

What model do you have? I have a 34-338 that I'm about to restore.

Chad Young
09-13-2004, 4:46 PM
Thanks. I acually bought a Single Dubby sled from In-Line Industries.

Jim Fancher
09-13-2004, 4:55 PM
I just "discovered" In-Line this weekend after buying the latest copy of Shop Notes from Barnes & Noble. I couldn't find it at Lowes or Home Depot. Go figure.

Anyway, Shop Notes has an article this issue dealing with tuning up a table saw. That was the reason I bought it. Lots of good stuff in that 36 page magazine. :)

Ed Lysne
09-13-2004, 9:41 PM
Well the manuels have little (none) relevant information. I did dig thru my old mags and found a few ideas.. (loosen the rear trunion and beat it with a hammer and a block of wood). The Inline idea looks cool... I'll have to take a look at woodcraft... Checked my blade runout and got .008". Should get a new one anyhow. Have to come up with a way to be accurate with my dial gauge and t-slot. Thanks everyone for the help!

Thomas Canfield
09-13-2004, 10:30 PM
I found that raising the blade to full height and cutting a board from each side and listening for the sound of the blade dragging on the back side was the easiest check for blade alignment with the guides. I did not have any tools accurate enough to do the measuring the distance of tooth to slot front and rear to be accurate. It is surprising the lack of sound when the blade is aligned, and the ringing when dragging on the back side. Quite is nice and in alignment.

Ed Lysne
09-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Tonight I tried a few adjustments and something is really wrong. I'm wondering if something is bent... It seems that working either the front trunion or back trunion (both seperately... 1st the back and then the front) I can't get it close. It's at least 1/16 off front to back. In addition the blade is now a good 1/8" closer to the right side fence (based on my fence setting). When ripping maple the edge is rough and burned in places. Not the best blade...but not that bad.

I have the back trunion all the way to the left (looked at from the front) and the front trunion all the way to the right (in an attempt to align to the t-square slot). I used a 3' peice of pipe to hold each all the way over. It just wont move any further... and I had the bolts loose.

Any ideas... It got out of whack when I set the blade to 45 and it bottomed out on the angle on a cover I made for the back to contain dust. I forced it a little but not a whole lot. Think it's possible I bent the guide rails (whatever those round bars are called connecting the trunions)? I'm really peeved about this. I hate adjusting this stuff...

Joe Tonich
09-14-2004, 1:34 PM

Any ideas... It got out of whack when I set the blade to 45 and it bottomed out on the angle on a cover I made for the back to contain dust. I forced it a little but not a whole lot. Think it's possible I bent the guide rails (whatever those round bars are called connecting the trunions)? I'm really peeved about this. I hate adjusting this stuff...
ED,

I PM'd you something to check out. Thats what I did to my Delta CS. Had to align the rods with a plate of glass to get them back right. Took a little while as they move a little as you tighten them up again, but keep at it.

Joe