PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Base

Chuck Isaacson
09-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Well, I finally got tired of looking in the corner and seeing my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw just sitting on the floor. It was time to make the base for it. As some of you might know, I am in a wheelchair. The original base that comes with this saw put the table somewhere around my forehead. My father-in-law has the same saw and I tried to use it once, needless to say it didn't work. So I went to work.

This base is built out of squared 2x4's. I took them down to 3 1/4"x 1 1/4". I took some of the design from the original base. I kept the top the same height and took the angle from the sides as well. I did not angle the ends. This was my first project working with angles and I didn't want to make it too complicated. It was a lot of fun though. I used half lap joints piece it together. That was another first. The fist side that I did was OK, but the second side was better. I learned a few things the first time that helped out.

In the end it all worked out. I sanded it down and put my typical finish of Tung oil on it. Just a little something to give it some color. Let me know what you think.

Chuck

126983 126984 126985 126986 126987

Stephen Edwards
09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I like it a LOT. You got it going on man! That base looks like it'll last forever and appears to be the perfect height for your needs.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. Keep the posts coming, please!

glenn bradley
09-03-2009, 11:29 PM
That looks like the perfect working height. I love making shop made goodies that make the the shop and the tools in it a custom fit. Well done.

jerry nazard
09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
You know, building fancy furniture is fun - but: shop cabinets, machine bases, workbenches, tool racks, etc. are really enjoyable too! I take great pride in my shop and all the neat stuff I have built for it.

You should be well pleased with your bandsaw base!

-Jerry

Stephen Edwards
09-04-2009, 12:39 AM
You know, building fancy furniture is fun - but: shop cabinets, machine bases, workbenches, tool racks, etc. are really enjoyable too! I take great pride in my shop and all the neat stuff I have built for it.

You should be well pleased with your bandsaw base!

-Jerry

That is sooooooo true! In fact, since joining SMC back in early 2008, I've learned more new techniques and solutions for particular "challenges" that I could ever have imagined. In the past year I've spent far more time building useful accessories for my shop than I have building "pieces". The cool thing is that these accessories help me to build my "pieces" more efficiently and accurately.

I just THOUGHT that I was a woodworker until I joined the Creek. Now, I realize that I'm an intermediate beginner with 40 years of experience! Rather than making me feel bad, it makes me feel good because I know that there's so much more to learn. If I ever get bored, it's no one's fault but my own.

Now, if I can just finish several of these projects that I have going at the same time.......I'm almost done with a new router table and a new drill press table. I'm still getting ideas as I progess with these projects by seeing what other people have done.

Chuck's base is a perfect example. I'm restoring an old bandsaw which will be a gift to my nephew. From Chuck's post and another recent thread about a shop built base for a BS it has occurred to be that the best thing for me to do is to trash the old Cman base and build one especially for my nephew that will "fit" him. He's 6' 4-5" tall. From Chuck I learn that I can build a base to suit my nephew's height. From the other poster I learn that I can build a base that will have storage in the cabinet.

Please note: When I say "trash" the original stand that came with the Cman BS, that doesn't mean throw it away. That means to put it in the top of the barn with my other "treasures", perhaps for some future project!

Phil Thien
09-04-2009, 8:15 AM
That thing looks very sharp. Kinda reminds me of the wooden bases that came w/ Inca tools. Thanks for sharing!

Michael Peet
09-04-2009, 8:47 AM
Looks great, Chuck!

Mike Cruz
09-04-2009, 9:51 AM
Awesome! Custom, custom, custom. Looks really solid. Now...get a DC! :D

John Thompson
09-04-2009, 9:54 AM
Excellent remedy Chuck. I have my smaller BS sitting on a massive box sled base in a similar manner from SYP. I got the height I wanted and reduced vibration with the solid mount. You did basically what you needed to do here and the base is probably a more solid foundation than the stock one.

Kudo's to you....

Chuck Isaacson
09-04-2009, 9:55 AM
I have a Penn State 2.5HP cyclone that is going up next week. I cant wait! I will be sure to post pics when it is complete. I still need to get a lot of fittings. I am going to wait until I get all the duck work laid out the way that I want to and then I will get what I need.

CHuck

Jason Strauss
09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
...Always impressed with your work, Chuck! Looks greatQ

Jason Strauss
09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
...also, it's amazing what a guy can do with 2x4's. If you get some nice dry lumber, straight stuff and plane it down, it can look really good. Given my limited $$ resources, I constructed the base for my main workbench out of 2x4's and 2x6's. I'll likely rebuild the thing at some point in the furture with ash or similar, but for now, it looks and works just fine.