PDA

View Full Version : Shop "expansion" project "complete"...

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 8:38 PM
...or at least as complete as any shop renovation ever gets!

Although I have some reorganization necessary in the lumber rack area, this summer's shop expansion/reconfiguration/renovation is now done. I have to say that it really was worth the effort. Anyone not familiar with the start of the saga can read about it at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11719.

Removing the short wall that formerly "supported" the stairway to the upper level has made a significant impact on the way I can use the space in the shop. Frankly, it's like having a whole new workshop...it's that much of a transformation. No longer will it be a pain to juggle sheet goods, in those odd occastions I choose to use them, nor will I have to choose between assembling something and finishing something. I also have the lathe back to where I really like having it where there is natural light.

The following pictures amount to a new "shop tour" starting with the south wall and revolving clockwise. For reference, the shop is 21' deep by 30' wide minus the stairwell and DC closet.

Pics:

Miter station on the south wall. Clamp storage moved back to where it originally was to the left of the miter station on the wall behind where the main entry door is located
Southwest wall where the lathe takes center stage. Sharpening station to the right at the base of the stairwell where it's convenient to get to quickly during "spinny" sessions. Tool storage on the wall. The DC hose is being replaced with a slightly longer one as soon as it arrives in the big brown truck
Center west "wall" under the stairs where the Mini Max FS350 jointer/planer lives. I wanted it a little closer to the sloped wall, but when the jointer beds are swung up they need to actually clear the wall and become fully vertical. This location provides for that. The area behind the J/P can be used for additional turning stock storage once my old compressor moves on to its new owner
North west/north "wall". The two metal storage cabinets have been stacked for space savings. They contain finishing materials and the small, hand-held electrics for easy access. Lumber storage stays where it is, although it needs a little "straightening up" now that everything else is cleaned up. The Performax 22-44 lives in front of that area where it has a convenient DC drop and electrics. Since it's on casters, it's easy to move elsewhere should an operation require more room or access to the lumber be required.
Northeast corner. The DP has moved back to this location where it's been before. An old, relatively inefficent cabinet was removed from above the door and heavy duty shelving supports were installed for additional lumber and/or turning stock storage. My router table is mobile and I just move it around for whatever function it needs to hold for the day, including obviously routing, but also additional infeed-outfeed surface, assembly surface and as a convenient table surface when I'm turning. The air cleaner also moved to the "top shelf" just behind the table saw, where it's out of the way, yet easy to access for cleaning. It also now has its intake on the side that I generally spray water-based finishes which is the most common reason I run the filter

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 8:41 PM
Continued from previous post:

6. Table saw area on east wall. Much more room and a clear shot for any material length I'd ever use! Band saw is also in its new home between the entry door and the first set of double outward-opening doors. These doors are terrific for letting in air and light while not interfering with the space in the shop

7. The workbench is now in a wide open area and much more convenient. But it can also be easily move to any other location in the shop should that be required, especially if I need to assemble something large.

There ya go! Now...time to get back to real projects... :D

Terry Hatfield
09-12-2004, 8:59 PM
j,

WOW!!! Fantastic job. Amazing difference with the wall gone. Enjoy!!!

t

Kelly C. Hanna
09-12-2004, 9:37 PM
I'm jealous! Tha aircraft carrier finally gets a good place to hang out huh? Your shop is a very nice one Jim...you are ready to build anything now. Very good job getting everything back together, I like the way everything flows.

Frank Pellow
09-12-2004, 9:51 PM
Thanks for the tour Jim. I am sure that I will come back and study the pictures more than once for organization ideas.

Joe Mioux
09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Jim:

Good tour of your shop, You know you could retire the national debt if you would sell all your Bessey clamps and give the proceeds to the feds!;)

Question, if you could do it all over again, would you increase your ceiling height?

Regards Joe

Jim Ketron
09-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Great Job Jim!
looks like your ready for the next project!
Jim

Alan Tolchinsky
09-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Jim, Great pics of a great shop tweaking. I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for sharing the pics. Alan in Md.

Greg Tatum
09-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Great looking space, Jim....how is the mitersaw table attached to the wall and how much wt can it carry? I like not having legs in the way.
Greg

James Giordano
09-13-2004, 2:08 AM
You've done a great job Jim. That is a real nice looking shop.

Gary Sutherland
09-13-2004, 5:52 AM
That sure is a nice lookin' blue and white thingy under the stairs.

gary

Dick Parr
09-13-2004, 5:59 AM
That, looked like a real project. :D But fun.

Great job Jim. :)

Thomas Prondzinski
09-13-2004, 7:10 AM
Jim
Thanks for the pictures,you have a nice looking shop. Gives alot of good ideas,I sure like all the windows,sure wish I had more.

Tom

John Miliunas
09-13-2004, 8:06 AM
Wow! A BIGGER shop with virtually little/no cost! :D Man, it just don't get much better than that! :) Enjoy your new-found space, Jim! Good job on the re-org. :cool:

Dan Smith
09-13-2004, 8:25 AM
Jim,

Looks great! Amazing how much bigger it seems with the new layout.

ps did you ever post a review of the 22/44? It is on my wish list and would like to hear your thoughts.

-dan

Mark Singer
09-13-2004, 8:34 AM
Jim,
It looks very organized. There is space where you need it. Great job!

Tyler Howell
09-13-2004, 8:52 AM
More is better! Nice Job Jim.:cool:

Jim Becker
09-13-2004, 8:54 AM
Question, if you could do it all over again, would you increase your ceiling height?The building was existing when we bought the property, so that was not an option. But if I were building...absolutely. 10' minimum or cathederal ceiling. It not only helps with moving stuff like long boards, but you can get much more even lighting with a higher ceiling if you do things right.

Jim....how is the mitersaw table attached to the wall and how much wt can it carry? I like not having legs in the way.I have an article and pictorial on the miter station on my site...it's not "my" design, but patterned after the miter bench in Chris Gochnour's former shop. He writes for Fine Woodworking...and bummer, he had to move recently due to his spouse's career and lost that wonderful shop.

That sure is a nice lookin' blue and white thingy under the stairs.Good colors for a graduate of Penn State... :D

did you ever post a review of the 22/44? It is on my wish list and would like to hear your thoughtsNo, I haven't had any free time to deal with several reviews I have "due". But it's a great machine. No complaints so far. Heavy sucker, though... :o

Kent Cori
09-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Jim,

Great remodeling/reorganization job and thanks for the shop tour.

nic obie
09-13-2004, 1:21 PM
You've got a nice shop.

I can tell you have spent some time planning it.

Chris Padilla
09-13-2004, 1:52 PM
Cood, Dude! :)

Jack Diemer
09-13-2004, 2:04 PM
Looks great, I wish my shop was that big.

Have you ever thought about painting all those plywood walls white. It would really brighten up the shop a lot. (at least at night, you have plenty of windows for daylight shop time)

Jim Becker
09-13-2004, 2:07 PM
Have you ever thought about painting all those plywood walls white. It would really brighten up the shop a lot.
I addressed that question from Tom Sontag in the original thread. All non-T1-11 walls are already painted white or off-white. I happen to like the natural look of the T1-11 in the original shop area and will leave it as-is. It's not dark at all. Don't go by a couple of the pics as there was some metering issues with the sunlight coming in the window.

Bruce Page
09-13-2004, 2:17 PM
Jim, your shop looks great! Removing that one little wall really opened things up!

Christian Aufreiter
09-14-2004, 2:05 PM
Very nice job, Jim. I really like your shop.
But it looked rather dark, or I got this impression at least from the pics.

Regards,

Christian

Jim Becker
09-14-2004, 3:51 PM
Very nice job, Jim. I really like your shop.
But it looked rather dark, or I got this impression at least from the pics.
Thanks...it's turned out beyond my expectations, especially when I think back to November 1999 when we move in here and the shop was initially only half this size. And now...there's additional room for more Festool...hee hee

Trust me, it's not dark. In the last picture, I had already doused the lights on the north end of the shop before I remembered to take a pic of the bench area. Also, some of the shots are a little darker due to the bright light in the windows affecting the camera's metering...I added "fill flash" in Photoshop, but they still give the impression that it's darker than it is. When I add the "tour" to my site, I'll likely take the pictures at night to insure even lighting all around. I have no shades on the big south window, so that's the only way to avoid major retouching of the shots.