PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-560 (My First Planer)

Dave Hausler
09-03-2009, 8:38 PM
I just got a Delta planer. I've never operated a planer of any kind before. It's used, and had no instruction booklet. My first question (until I try to use this thing and more things come up) is how do I change the blades? I have a hex wrench and a magnetic tool to hold the blade. I presume that I just need to loosen the hex bolts and use the tool to remove/replace the blades, then tighten the bolts. Just thought I'd ask just in case!

Any other tips on using this tool would also be appreciated.

Mike Cruz
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
First thing to do is to go online and find the manual. Seriously. It will not only show you how to change the blades, but teach you (as well as a manual can) how to use a planer.

Next watch videos. Search the internet for "how to's" so you can see it done, not just reading about it.

UNDERSTAND WHAT CAN GO WRONG. The example I will give you is this: A teen that has been driving a car for 3 months will start to feel confident because as he has been driving for these past three months, everything has been going "as it should". One day it snows... :eek: You get the picture.

AFTER all that, ENJOY! Congrats on the new planer. With proper technique and safety, it should bring you lots of pleasure. If nothing else, you won't be stuck buying 3/4" stuff from the borgs anymore.

Anthony Whitesell
09-04-2009, 7:38 AM
and definately brush up on the techniques for adjusting a planer to reduce snipe. I have the 22-560 and the snipe can be eliminated, but it takes time and patience.

Dave Hausler
09-04-2009, 1:03 PM
Thanx, guys. I will have to locate a manual and some videos for sure.

I was looking it over this morning and was wondering what is the "cutterhead lock/unlock" feature?

Greg Cuetara
09-04-2009, 9:04 PM
Dave,
Congrats on your planer. Drop me a PM with your email and I can send you a .pdf of the Instructional Manual and parts drawing.

It is a good solid planer but a few things to check on. Take apart the side with the drive belt. Make sure the drive shaft pin is in place correctly and that the belt is on correctly. I had some problems with mine and the key in mine has made a elongated hole in the drive shaft so I had to make some retrofits to make it work properly.

Something else. IMHO I would take out the bolts holding in the blade and replace them with hex head bolts. I had problems with getting the original nuts to tighten and also had troubles getting them out when the heads stripped. The hex head bolts make it much easier becuase I can now use my socket set. You do need to make sure that the heads are not very thick as it may affect the way the planer works.

Your question regarding the knives. You take out the bolts, take off the cover plate, watch out because there are a few springs holding things together....then take the knifes off and put the new one's on. They have index holes in them so you can NOT sharpen the blades. Disposible but they are two sided. I think I have gone through 2 sets of knives, both sides, for about 500 bd.ft. The set I have on right now is wearing down and I am almost ready for a new set.

Anthony says it correctly that snipe can be a problem. You can learn how to fix it or how to deal with it. i know some people just mill the boards a few inches longer and then cut it off to eliminate the snipe. I have had good luck with elevating both the infeed and outfeed tables a hair and that has seemed to solved a lot of my problems.

Greg

Doug Hepler
09-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Dave,

Your comment about not having used a planer before and not having a manual really caught my attention. I think planers may be safer than some other tools, but it is not safe to use any tool until you have at least read the manual. I have not always believed that, and I have injuries to show for my ignorance. What you don't know can hurt you.

The mfr will probably send you an owners manual for free. Possibly, one is accessible on the web. There are plenty of other sites that can help you, e.g., http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Planer/planer.htm

If you subscribe to FWW.com there are lots of useful articles on using a planer.

For a parts list try http://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Parts-Lists/22-560-12-1-2-Inch-Portable-Planer-P82.pdf

I hope this helps.

Dave Hausler
09-06-2009, 8:40 PM
[QUOTE=Doug Hepler;1208017]Dave,

Your comment about not having used a planer before and not having a manual really caught my attention. I think planers may be safer than some other tools, but it is not safe to use any tool until you have at least read the manual. I have not always believed that, and I have injuries to show for my ignorance. What you don't know can hurt you.

Doug, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I will refrain from using my new "toy" until I can get the instructions and read them over. It's easy to forget about taking the neccessary precautions when using certain items which can be dangerous. Thank you for a reminder.

Dave