PDA

View Full Version : I Think This Qualifies As A Gloat.

Stephen Edwards
09-03-2009, 8:23 PM
I've been keeping an eye out for a used table saw on the local CL for my nephew, who has recently become interested in woodworking. I ran across an ad that was titled something like "Table Saw and Other Tools For Sale or Trade".

There was no description of the "other tools". There wasn't even much of a description of the TS. I rememered reading a post here at the Creek where someone advised to check out that type of ad because sometimes you'll find a gem in the "other tools" department. I'm glad that I remembered reading that post!

I called the guy and asked him about the TS. I didn't want it. However, when I asked about the "other tools", I got a nice surprise. I bought a bandsaw for myself and a jointer for my nephew, sight unseen, and went directly to the Nashville area to get them, appx. a 100 mile drive.

Pics of the BS are below. My nephew is a new member here at the Creek so I'll let him "gloat" on his jointer should he decide to do so.

The Shop Fox mobile base seen in the photo above was included with the G0555.

This photo shows how clean the machine is. It was manufactured in 2004 but looks like it just came from Grizzly to my door!

I didn't bother to negotiate with the guy on the price. I paid him cash for his asking price of $75.00!!! That's SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS, including the mobile base.

There were two minor problems that I fixed in short order. It's probably a good thing that the former owner didn't use the BS very much!

The black blade guard on the left side of the saw was installed backwards, meaning that the open side of it was facing the operator. Maybe he didn't pay much attention to the assembly instructions.

I noticed that the table was a little wobbly. The black metal trunion support (I guess that's what you call it) that bolts to the lower CI arm of the saw and through which pass the bolts with knobs that holds the table to the saw was installed wrong. There are two small "pins" and corresponding holes in the lower arm of the saw (or vice verse, I forget now) that ensures the correct location for mounting that piece. The seller had the washers that go under the bolt heads installed UNDER this black metal support piece instead of under the bolt heads. That prevented it from lining up with the holes and made the whole mess wobbly. That was a quick fix, too.

The more I thought about what a great deal I got on this Grizzly BS, I began to think that this is too good to be true. The thought crossed my mind....." I wonder if this machine is "hot". If so, I don't want any part of that bidnez! So, I called my brother, an attorney, and asked him what might be the best way to inquire about that issue. He suggested that I call Grizzly CS and ask them if they kept a data base of tools that have been reported stolen.

I called and spoke with their CS, explained the situation and my concerns. I gave them the serial numbers of the tools, date of manufacture, the name of the person from whom I purchased the tools and his phone number.

Grizzly CS thanked me for my concern and immediately confirmed that they sold the tools to the same person from whom I bought them.

I still don't know if they keep a data base of tools that are reported as stolen but with the info that I was able to provide, they were able to confirm that I didn't buy stolen tools. That's all I wanted to be sure of.

So, this was one of those rare situations where the old saying, " If it sounds too good to be true, it probably ain't true", was, in fact, true.

For me, the lesson learned from this deal was that it pays to follow the sound advice that I read from another member here at SMC when shopping for tools on CL. You don't know what "other tools" might mean unless you ask! There's gold in them thar hills!!

My nephew is a double winner in this transaction. Not only did he get a great deal on a Grizzly jointer (suffice it to say comparable to the deal I got on my BS), he will also now get the old Cman 12" BS, as a free gift from Unc, that I've been restoring for curved work for myself. I've owned this Cman BS for 40 years now. It'll be a good starter saw for him when I'm finished with the restoration, and it'll be a "keep it in the family thing". Maybe I can even make up a great story to go with it, like it belonged to my great, great grandfather who used it even before we had electricity, powered by a team of horses and that the electric motor was added later. There's no need to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Last year I purchased a new G0555X w/ riser block from Grizzly for re-sawing. It's a hassle to change blades and re-tune the saw to go from re-sawing to curved work. Problem solved............for $75.00!!!! I'm still pinching myself. Ouch, it feels good!!

Jim Rimmer
09-03-2009, 9:14 PM
Let me be the first - YOU SUCK!!!! :eek::eek:

Seriously, though, I am really jealous. What a steal (not like you thought, though). I guess I need to start looking at CL.

Dennis Ford
09-03-2009, 9:14 PM
No doubt about it, thats a GLOAT.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-03-2009, 9:46 PM
Pffft... That's not a gloat.. A gloat would be if you got it for $5.. That's more like a smug jab to the ribs.

:P

*goes off to cry* I never find deals like this...

Mike Cruz
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Great find...and keep those eyes open!

Jim O'Dell
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Man, at that price, I think I'd even jump on it, and I already have a BS!! Great find! Jim.

Keith Christopher
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Color me green as your Grizzly with jealousy. Man why can't I find one of these deals !

congrats.

Myk Rian
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with Jim. You suck.

Dan Friedrichs
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow! I just don't understand what kind of people let tools go for such crazy prices. I mean, $250 would have been a heck of a deal - but $75?! That's almost as unreasonable as him just giving it to you!

Stephen Edwards
09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Wow! I just don't understand what kind of people let tools go for such crazy prices. I mean, $250 would have been a heck of a deal - but $75?! That's almost as unreasonable as him just giving it to you!

I don't understand it either. Maybe he was just tired of looking at them. He certainly wasn't using them. I think some folks get a bug and THINK that they want to be a woodworker. Perhaps they have money to burn, buy the tools.....and soon realize it ain't their thing. I dunno.

All I know is that it happens and that I've learned to dig deep on CL. This is probably a once in a lifetime kinda deal....but I'll keep on looking!

Scott Hildenbrand
09-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Unreasonable for the giver.. More than reasonable for the givie. ;)

Myk Rian
09-04-2009, 7:13 AM
Quite frankly, I would have hemmed and hawed till he came down to $50. :D

Mike Cruz
09-04-2009, 8:05 AM
Sometimes when you put stuff on CL for what it is worth, or for a good deal, it doesn't go. If you put it at a price that someone cant refuse...

Stephen Edwards
09-04-2009, 8:26 AM
Sometimes when you put stuff on CL for what it is worth, or for a good deal, it doesn't go. If you put it at a price that someone cant refuse...

Exactly! Earlier this year I bought a Grizzly DP under similar circumstances on CL. In both instances, the DP and this recent BS purchase, the sellers had them priced to MOVE! Another Creeker bought a jointer from the same guy that I bought the DP from.

You're right. How can someone refuse a BS like I got for $75 bucks? A used machine dealer would jump on that like white on rice. The BS and mobile base, delivered from Grizzly, is currently $545.65. This BS is in perfect, brand new condition. As another poster mentioned, $250 would be considered a bargain by most people looking to purchase a used BS in this size and with the positive reviews and awards that this machine has. I couldn't refuse it, even if I didn't have a use for it myself.

Darius Ferlas
09-04-2009, 9:24 AM
That is not a gloat. That borders with obscenity ;)

I got a 4 year General for $250 and it was a very good deal.
Your cost was less than taxes in some areas on that saw.