PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Finishing Question -- Stirring 5 Gal of EM6000?

Matt Meiser
09-03-2009, 8:20 PM
We ordered a 5 gallon container of EM6000 for the kitchen because I figured it will take more than a couple gallons. I've used 5 gallons of paint before and had the store shake it. Then at home I popped the lid and stirred. But I've read you shouldn't shake WB finishes like this and I'm not sure how to mix it without the mess of removing the whole lid?

Scott Holmes
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I shake finishes all the time... quality brushes & application technique will remove 99.99% of the bubbles.

If you are spraying it is really a moot point. Even shaking varnish is not an issue... Think about it; if you are wiping it on, do bubbles matter? No, they will pop.

Most water-borne finishes flow out quickly; so the bubbles should pop.. If they don't, then you may be applying too heavy of a coat.

I use an electric drill and an paint stirrer to mix 5 gallon batches.

Jamie Buxton
09-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I shake Target EM8000, and have never noticed a problem. I spray it with an HVLP, and think that no matter what bubbles I might get in the fluid, it is all getting atomized at the nozzle anyhow.

Rob Cunningham
09-04-2009, 8:19 AM
I just take the lid off and stir with a scrap cutoff that will reach the bottom of the bucket. Make sure you scrape the bottom to get any flattening agents that have settled.