PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the new LV dovetail and xcut saws are available

Gary Herrmann
09-03-2009, 5:33 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=64007&cat=51&ap=1

Thinking about the crosscut, maybe...

Brian Kent
09-03-2009, 6:41 PM
With the reviews of the original so good, it looks pretty interesting.

Russ Massery
09-03-2009, 7:12 PM
They (Lee Valley) had them both to try out at the WIA in St. Charles back in August. The new 20tpi Dovetail saw is nice as the 14tpi. Easier to start but slower in the cut. I really like the new Crosscut saw. I have the 14tpi dovetail I found it to be a great value for the money.

Phillip Pattee
09-03-2009, 7:56 PM
Rob Lee sure makes it attractive to buy all three doesn't he? That's quite a deal.

Chris Friesen
09-04-2009, 4:14 PM
If you buy all three and hang them side by side, how would you ever remember which is which?

Dave Lehnert
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Does the crosscut saw also have a spine? What am I missing? How does a Crosscut work with a spine?

"Each saw has a spine molded"

mike holden
09-05-2009, 9:12 AM
Dave,
A backed crosscut saw is also known as a carcase saw. If you are making tenons for example, you would use a tenon saw (rip cut) to cut the cheeks and the carcase saw (crosscut) for the shoulders.

Obviously the back limits the depth of cut, but joinery saws are rarely used for deep cuts anyway.

Mike

Dave Lehnert
09-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Dave,
A backed crosscut saw is also known as a carcase saw. If you are making tenons for example, you would use a tenon saw (rip cut) to cut the cheeks and the carcase saw (crosscut) for the shoulders.

Obviously the back limits the depth of cut, but joinery saws are rarely used for deep cuts anyway.

Mike

Thanks Mike.