PDA

View Full Version : Old Stanley replacement parts

Garth Jones
09-03-2009, 4:09 PM
Hi All,

My apprentice has an old Stanley #3 she is restoring. It's in good shape (she paid 50 cents for it at a garage sale!!!). All it needs is a new brass nut and the bolt for the knob. Any suggestions on where we can get this sort of part? The knob is in bad shape, but she's just going to turn a new one.

Thanks,
Garth

Sean Hughto
09-03-2009, 4:15 PM
I have some that fit 5's. I've never checked as to whether the 3's knob is significantly smaller. If it's the same nut, and the bolt is either the same or could be shortened with a hack saw while leaving enough threads, I'd send you a set. I'll compare my 5 and 3 knobs later tonight when I'm in the shop.

Richard Kee
09-03-2009, 4:34 PM
I have an extra knob and bolt with brass end for the knob. Send me a PM with your address and I'll have it on the way to you.

Richard

Tom Adger
09-04-2009, 7:57 AM
Go to the Highland Woodworking website, and look under planes. They sell a number of Bench Plan Repair Kits.

Russ Massery
09-04-2009, 8:14 AM
Another place to look would be here:http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

Jim Koepke
09-04-2009, 10:47 AM
And don't forget, Stanley sells some spare parts for the old tools.

Depending on the date the plane was made, the knob will have differences; short knob, tall knob, tall knob with ring at base.

I have a lot of spare brass adjusters for Stanley planes built after 1891, left hand thread. Let me know and I can send you one if needed.

jim

Garth Jones
09-10-2009, 6:52 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and, particularly, thanks to Richard for sending me a knob, screw, and brass nut. They are in perfect condition and really enhance this old plane!

Cheers,
Garth