PDA

View Full Version : My First Lathe

Joseph Crivelli
09-03-2009, 1:53 PM
My Jet JWL-1220VS came yesterday at 08:55 AM EDT.
About 1 hour setup time.

The lathe stand is perfect for the tool and rock solid. The stand is 36 x 20 x 36 and made of 2x4s, 2x3s, and a top of ¾” plywood. I used 3 ½” and 4” deck screws to put it together.

I had a 2 x 2 x 12 blank cut from an old surplus piece of wood. Using a roughing gouge, I seemed to get the basics of rounding the blank down quickly. Being a total turning novice, I was happy to see that I could do a simple operation without much trouble.

Thank you to all the members who gave me advice on the stand.

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2009, 2:47 PM
Joseph - Welcome to the Creek! Congrats on your new lathe! The stand sounds like it should work out just fine for you! When you have a chance - add some photos to your post as everyone here loves pictures!

Just in case you are not familiar with how to upload photos - check this out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

Mauricio Ulloa
09-03-2009, 4:54 PM
Good for you! Enjoy and keep those shaves flying!

Chris Rae
09-03-2009, 6:39 PM
Congrats, I know you'll be having a great time with that new lathe!

Bill Bolen
09-03-2009, 7:27 PM
congrats! I think it is an unwritten law that a pic must be posted of your new lathe and the bonker produced on it...Bill..

ROY DICK
09-03-2009, 8:37 PM
Yahoo for you. Now get that bank roll ready and buy more tools, chucks, etc. etc.
Have fun, but be careful.
Oh, and welcome to the creek.Ask any questions when in doubt.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Have fun and enjoy.

Eugene Wigley
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Congrats on the new lathe and welcome to the creek. Be careful this is addictive.

Rob Cunningham
09-04-2009, 8:07 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. Be careful, turning is very addictive.
The other night after dinner I told my wife I was going out to the shop for a little bit. At 10:30 she came out to make sure I OK. I didn't realize 3 1/2 hours could go so quickly.

Joseph Crivelli
09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you, All!

I'm already addicted to working with wood, so this just adds to it.

I actually sent for the follow at the same time as the lathe:

1" x 8 TPI Self-Centering 4-Jaw Chuck4 Pc
Drive Center Set for #2MT Lathes
1/2" Drill Chuck #2MT8
Benjamin's Best HSS Lathe Chisel Set

James Roberts
09-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Congrats, I have the same lathe and I know you will enjoy it. The additional items you ordered should get you started. I would suggest some learning materials (books, videos) and if possible a session or two with a teacher. Continuing to hang out here at the Creek will add to your knowledge base as well, there are lots of turners more than willing to point you in the right direction and answer your questions. Have fun and be safe!

Joseph Crivelli
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Thank you, James!

I've got The Lathe Book by Ernie Conover and Learn to Turn by Barry Gross which I bought just to learn the details and accessories of the lathe.

I'm going to get the complete Ruffin collection of books and DVDs.
Also, Norm Abrams Lathe 101.

A turner also recomended DVDs by Bill Grumbine and Jimmy Clews.