PDA

View Full Version : Another one Bites the Dust - Advice Needed

Kent Cori
09-12-2004, 6:15 PM
After a mere 30 years of faithful service, my ancient Skill saw (bought in 1973 for $26.99) headed for circular saw heaven. It was a grand send off with sparks, fire and smoke to awe the breathless crowd (two good-fer-nuthin shop muts) :eek: . A touching memorial service was then followed by burial at sea (well, it was really dropped in the garbage can but this sounds much more impressive. :cool: )

Now I come to the crux of my problem, what to buy as a replacement? It will be used for rough cutting sheet goods, the occasional deck or fence made with pressure treated wood. some minor framing and similar projects.

I am leaning to a left side blade arrangement (I’m right handed and would like to see the blade easily for once) but am not totally sure. Therefore, I beseech the renowned members of this forum for assistance! Would those of you who switched from the traditional right blade arrangement to the left blade arrangement do it again? If I do make the switch, would I be better off with a Milwaukee 6391-21 ($146 from Tyler Tools), the Porter-Cable 423MAG ($129) or the Porter-Cable 743K ($119)? Or have I overlooked another option?

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated especially in my hour of mourning. :rolleyes:

Kelly C. Hanna
09-12-2004, 6:20 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the survivors in the shop...:D

I have the PC left blade and love it!

Tyler Howell
09-12-2004, 6:26 PM
You can be a Tool Snob Too "Festool"

Mark Singer
09-12-2004, 7:01 PM
Left blade PC for $95 or Festool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20785&item=4323507015&tc=photo

They should have the left blade too!

JayStPeter
09-12-2004, 7:12 PM
Festool would be my first choice. Followed distantly by a PC, since they make some attempt to incorporate dust collection. As far as left vs. right, whatever feels good in your hand.

Jay

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 8:03 PM
Festool for the shop and an inexpensive one for the occasional 2x4 and PT outside would be my recommendation...but if you need to buy a "regular" one, PC makes some nice ones.

It's certainly amazing about how long some of the older tools will last. I have a Black and Decker (orange one!) circular saw that I got as a wedding gift in 1979. Still runs like a champ, although it's seen minimal use over the years. Built like a tank, too, at least by some standards. I'm soon to get the Festool plunge saw myself, but I'll keep the B&D for any "rough" work that might come along from time to time.

Tom LaRussa
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Kent,

Sorry to hear of the passing of your faithful servant.

Now I come to the crux of my problem, what to buy as a replacement?
Or have I overlooked another option?

You most certainly have overlooked another option -- one which would probably be self-evident were you not suffering such emotional distress at the moment.

A NEW SKIL!

On the left coast, (which is where I spent most of my life), no self-respecting contractor or framer would be caught dead without his trusty Skil Wormdrive -- with blade on the left, where it should be -- and the magnesium housing makes it easier to use as we become a bit more ... um ... "seasoned" (agewise).

Sells for $179.99 with free shipping at Amazon, and if you buy an extra blade, (or anything else of a minimum $20.01 value), along with it, you get $25 off. I can't swear it, but I think I've seen it on sale elsewhere for a lower base price.

Skil HD77M MAG 77 7-1/4" Wormdrive Circular Saw
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000223FB/qid=1095042375/br=2-5/ref=br_ts_slwth_th_5/104-4703989-0637519?v=glance&s=hi&n=552922

Ken Fitzgerald
09-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Kent......about 18 months ago I replaced my skill with a left blade (I'm right handed) PC .......It's great to see the cut line! It's been a good saw!

Tom Peterson
09-12-2004, 11:33 PM
I have had the left blade PC for about three or four years. Great utility saw, use it for rough cuts and outside. Nice solid magnesium shoe plate. I would buy another.

Kent Cori
09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Folks,

Thanks for all your advice. It was invaluable as usual.

I picked up a PC 423MAG last night at Lowes. This is the left blade version. I used it to finish the cuts left from when the Skil expired in such a fiery manner. The saw seems to be well engineered and made. I used it for about 15 minutes and it seemed to perform well. It will take a couple of more times to get used to the left blade configuration after using a right blade configuration for 30 years. On first blush, though, I am favorably impressed. :)

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Kent,

I would have thought Skil would enter your mind after faithfully serving you for 30 years. I have the one Tom touted about and it has done very well for the 6 years I've had it...it has been through a lot, too.

My father said he should have bought a worm-drive saw years ago instead of the 4-6 regular circulars he's chucked since then. He convinced me to get one and so far, so good.

Jason Roehl
09-14-2004, 7:35 PM
I just bought the Skil HD77 (not the 'MAG" version) on sale at Menard's for $128.99. I have some minor beefs with it, but I hope it to be the last circular saw I ever buy or own. From what I hear of them, that could very well be the case.

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 7:46 PM
Jason,

Depending on which arm you use, it'll get beefed up well with that boat anchor hanging off of it! :D The non-Mag is a meaty saw for REAL men! No way I could handle it.... ;) It should outlast you. Change the oil once a year and I don't think it'll die on you for a long, long time.