PDA

View Full Version : HF 2hp 5-micron Dust collector$

Kev Godwin
09-03-2009, 12:39 AM
In the Deals and Discount section I saw several people talking about the Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector. I currently have a Jet 1hp DC650 with top and bottom 30 micron bags. My shop is fairly small and I don't expect ever expanding beyond my current 250sf.

I expect to use a dust collector as a portable tool between my machines and the idea of an upgrade to more cfm collection for only $140 (with coupon) plus tax is really interesting. I would dedicate the little Jet to my miter saw with a 3' hose if I got another one.

I've had some very good luck with some HF equipment in the past....

Do these low-cost HF collectors offer good value for a small shop? Any hands-on opinions?
Thanks.
Kev

Rick Dennington
09-03-2009, 1:26 AM
Kev:
I know nothing at all about Harbor Freight tools, so I can't help you there. What I can tell you is that the more cfms you get out of a d.c. the better off you are, no matter the size of your shop. If you have a t.s, jointer, planer,etc, that eats chips and dust , then you need a bigger d.c. It works much better than a low cfm collector. The little Jet you referred to is fine with a 3 in. hose to one machine, but you should go to 4" or bigger if you are going to make long runs. The more cfm's-the better. Just my 2 cents.
Rick Dennington.

Eli Johnson
09-03-2009, 4:03 AM
Kev,

I am currently working on modifying the Harbor Freight 97869 model which is the one you are speaking of I believe. It was about $155 on sale with 20% off after taxes.

It was a great deal...although, I think you need to consider it incomplete when you first get it. I am adding the Wynn Environmental 35A cartridge filter (http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm) to it and also making a cheap modification of the Thien Baffle (http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=145.0). That purple monster of Vaughn's is a Harbor Freight 97869 he has painted up. He has gotten excellent results allowing him to go weeks without even touching the filter, and when he does have to, he just shakes it or blows it with air externally to make sure the fines are not caking up on the inside which he says is so minimal he could go longer without touching it even.

The 35A filter is safer (.5-1 micron depending on the one you choose) and will increase your CFM capacity a bit over the 5 micron bag that the unit comes with originally. You may want to consider changing out the bag on your jet as well since 30 micron is not so good.

According to everyone I have talked to and everything I have read, these machines are the best bang for your buck when coupled with the cartridge filter (less than $350 together depending on discounts, taxes and the filters shipping cost). This is a FAR FAR CRY from the $$$$ you will have to fork out for a name brand DC with a cartridge filter already installed or with an aftermarket addition. Especially when you consider the HF model has been getting so many great long term reviews. The 97869 is an upgraded version of the previous model with larger impeller, 5 micron top bag (30 micron was on the old one) and clear bottom bag...otherwise the same for the most part. The older version with modifications such as I am doing, is still getting good reviews years later.

Here is a video of Vaughn's again, the first time around with a collar that he removes the second time around so there is no need to worry about what the collar is. Look at that cyclone action with nothing dropping out of the filter the second time around: http://workingwoods.com/misc%20images/DC%20Collar%20Test.wmv

Should be perfect for your shop as I consider it more than enough for mine at 288 sq. ft.

Thomas Williams
09-03-2009, 8:26 AM
I have the Jet DC650, and as you do I just move the hose from machine to machine. I considered the HF upgrade, but like some has said, you still need to upgrade the filter and bags. I have decided to just upgrade my Jet until I can spring for cyclone. I have already added a 1 micron top bag, and recently I "corrected" the position of the orifice plate that was installed upside down on my machine. That made a real difference for some reason. In the near future I plan to go with a Wynn paper filter and use plastic bags on the bottom. I am also considering adding a Thien separator to the DC. While it is not perfect, it does an adequate job in my shop. My shop is connected to the dining room and there is a pass through into the kitchen. No complaints about sawdust in the house by the wife.

Ben Martin
09-03-2009, 8:56 AM
Kev,

I am currently working on modifying the Harbor Freight 97869 model which is the one you are speaking of I believe. It was about $155 on sale with 20% off after taxes.

It was a great deal...although, I think you need to consider it incomplete when you first get it. I am adding the Wynn Environmental 35A cartridge filter (http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm) to it and also making a cheap modification of the Thien Baffle (http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=145.0). That purple monster of Vaughn's is a Harbor Freight 97869 he has painted up. He has gotten excellent results allowing him to go weeks without even touching the filter, and when he does have to, he just shakes it or blows it with air externally to make sure the fines are not caking up on the inside which he says is so minimal he could go longer without touching it even.

The 35A filter is safer (.5-1 micron depending on the one you choose) and will increase your CFM capacity a bit over the 5 micron bag that the unit comes with originally. You may want to consider changing out the bag on your jet as well since 30 micron is not so good.

According to everyone I have talked to and everything I have read, these machines are the best bang for your buck when coupled with the cartridge filter (less than $350 together depending on discounts, taxes and the filters shipping cost). This is a FAR FAR CRY from the $$$$ you will have to fork out for a name brand DC with a cartridge filter already installed or with an aftermarket addition. Especially when you consider the HF model has been getting so many great long term reviews. The 97869 is an upgraded version of the previous model with larger impeller, 5 micron top bag (30 micron was on the old one) and clear bottom bag...otherwise the same for the most part. The older version with modifications such as I am doing, is still getting good reviews years later.

Here is a video of Vaughn's again, the first time around with a collar that he removes the second time around so there is no need to worry about what the collar is. Look at that cyclone action with nothing dropping out of the filter the second time around: http://workingwoods.com/misc%20images/DC%20Collar%20Test.wmv

Should be perfect for your shop as I consider it more than enough for mine at 288 sq. ft.

I have done all of these mods to my HF DC and then also did the "stove pipe" mod (search BT3 Central for details, you just replace the 5" flex hose from the impeller to the filter with 5" stove pipe) and have converted mine to use 6" S&D pipe instead of the 4" flex hose. I have about 30' of the 6" S&D, with 5 blast gates going to different tools. I have only ran it about 5 minutes so far, but all is fine now. I will try and get some pictures of how I converted it to 6" but so far I am really happy with this DC.

Angie Orfanedes
09-03-2009, 9:03 AM
I have that DC - modified to include a Thien baffle and an outside exhaust. It works well for me. I use 4 inch PVC and very little flex hose. I open one blast gate at a time.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109166

Clint Schlosser
09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
This seems like a lot of work and effort just to replicate the Grizzly model at $455 (2HP with Cannister Filter)

Stephen Lee
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Some of us enjoy working on machinery and building things.

Others like spending money....

Danny Hamsley
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
This seems like a lot of work and effort just to replicate the Grizzly model at $455 (2HP with Cannister Filter)

I just bought this one (the Grizzly GO548) and it looks like it will more than do the job. It has 1 micron filtering capabilityand that figured into my decision in the spirit of my health and well being.

Eli Johnson
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Angie,

Your setup looks great. I would do the same if I could vent outside. Nice job!!

Clint,

You mean $529 bare minimum after shipping right????

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0548

And $577 after taxes if your unfortunate enough to live in one of the only three stupid states they have a retail store that is way to far away for you go to pick anything up, near the stupid canadian border completely on the other side of the state from where you live.

Besides, its fun to make the mods and lets you learn about the tools too. Bare minimum, I still like saving $200 or more (my HF setup with the best 35A wynn cartridge was $328.09). There really doesnt seem to be anything out there that beats this deal at the moment Kev.

By the way, the paddle inside the filter is not recommended...using air to blow out the filter externally is preferred over that method alone. I am not implying this replaces washing or anything for the spun version which I have. Manufacturers know this, so I wonder why they waste money putting one in. Makes sense that over time this starts to wear on the filter. Wynn Environmental shows you how to make one for their units but they will not put one in durring their assembly process.

Ben Martin
09-03-2009, 8:30 PM

So would be restoring my 1940's Unisaw, 1970's Powermatic 60, etc. etc.

To each his own!

Kev Godwin
09-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for those replies as well as the many links to options that can be done with this collector. Sounds like it has been a good unit for many people and particularly good for the dollar spent.

My coupon to get this collector for $140 is good until 1/8/10.:)

I need to plan this addition into the shop mix! Thx.
Kev

Jason Hanko
09-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I picked mine up yesterday with the $139.00 coupon, so ~$150 out the door. Assembly was pretty straight forward - and a good thing too because the manual is pretty useless.
Sure does move a lot of air compared to my shop vac... Im guessing the built-in chip blower on my DW735 wont overpressure this unit! haha.
It is tripping my 20a breaker repeatedly tho (with nothing else plugged in)....
Great links above, thanks all! I cant wait to start building in the Thein separator, and Ill have to start saving for the Wynn.

James Hamilton
09-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I wonder if one would need to add the $150 filter upgrade to 1 micron if you have a good ceiling filter system already in the shop. Many people have made such filter systems with furnace blowers, or have purchased the Delta or Jet versions. The HF Dust collector itself filters down to under 5 microns through the bag, and what gets by that should be caught by the seperate ceiling filter system.

That's just an idea- does anyone have any comment on it?

By the way, the current model (97869) is greatly surperior to the HF collector of the past. The motor is bigger, the impeller is bigger and now made of metal instead of plastic, and the filter is better. I think it is a VERY good buy.

Billy Chambless
09-05-2009, 2:19 PM
I wonder if one would need to add the $150 filter upgrade to 1 micron if you have a good ceiling filter system already in the shop. Many people have made such filter systems with furnace blowers, or have purchased the Delta or Jet versions. The HF Dust collector itself filters down to under 5 microns through the bag, and what gets by that should be caught by the seperate ceiling filter system.

I'd rather catch the fine stuff before it gets into the room air. The more particles the DC retains, the better.

Eli Johnson
09-05-2009, 2:39 PM
James, the two main reasons I have converted my HF DC 97869 from the 5 micron bag to the cartridge filter are for filtration of course...but allso the fact that the cartridge filter offers you more surface area to pull through equaling great suction.

Although I do not have a ceiling mounted unit at this time, I plan to get one (or make one if possible) in the future. I have watched a few videos on shop setup and seen many woodworkers who use both and have shown the results of both. One woodworker showed the inside of his ceiling mount unit after a few (2-3) months I belive and it was indeed caked with sawdust fines (other airborn junk as well I am sure).

I dont think dust collection is cool like buying new tools such as jointers, bandsaws, mortisers, lathes and all that stuff. But I figure for the $173 my Wynn Environmental 35A cost me after shipping and the price of a ceiling mounted unit I will buy or make later...better safe than sorry.

Also adding the Thien Baffle or a seperator can with the baffle, will help this out.

Stephen Edwards
09-05-2009, 4:09 PM
I suggest that you buy the HF unit. You won't regret it.

James Hamilton
09-05-2009, 5:08 PM
There's no doubt that using both a 1 micron or better cartridge filter is better than the standard 5 micron bag. But is a person already has a ceiling mounter filter that can go through the whole shop's air every few minutes like most can in small to medium size shops, then is it really a priority to get the expensive cartridge. Wouldn;t the cieling filter take care of the dust the collector lets by?

The fact is, not everyone can shell out the extra $150 for the cartridge upgrade, or they would rather put it into something else for the shop if they don;t need to spend it there.

Eli Johnson
09-05-2009, 9:06 PM
I totally understand about the money. I cannot afford to shell out the cash right now for a ceiling mounted unit which is why I went with the cartridge filter.

If I already had a ceiling unit, then I would have considered not adding the cartridge filter. I have not looked into the ceiling mounted systems much as they seem to be around $250-$300 for even a decent one.

I may have done this backwards in adding my cartridge filter to my DC rather than leaving the 5 micron bag in place and getting a ceiling unit. I have not looked into making my own ceiling unit either yet so I may have really done this in the wrong order.

As you stated, money does not grow on trees (especially when your unemployed like me), but in the long run I still plan to have both after watching the vids on the web showing that neither the cartridge filter or ceiling unit is perfect even with the combo of both.

James Hamilton
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I am seriously considering making a cieling unit from a furnace blower. They move a lot of air and it would be no different than an expensive store bought unit, in my opinion. Really, they are nothing more than a blower in a box with a couple of good filters. Has anyone else made one themselves?

Johnny Pearce
09-06-2009, 1:56 PM
Jason,
Are you plugging directly into a 20 Amp outlet that has 12 guage wiring from breaker? If you are using an extension cord be sure it is heavy enough guage and check the length, keep it as short as possible. Not second guessing your setup, just offering suggestions on a solution.
John

Myk Rian
09-06-2009, 1:59 PM
Has anyone replaced their old HF 2hp collector (30 micron) with the new one? I'd like to know if there really is a difference between the two before I drive 30 miles to get a new model.

Jason Hanko
09-06-2009, 3:42 PM
Jason,
Are you plugging directly into a 20 Amp outlet that has 12 guage wiring from breaker? If you are using an extension cord be sure it is heavy enough guage and check the length, keep it as short as possible. Not second guessing your setup, just offering suggestions on a solution.
John
Hi John,
Yes - Im plugging the unit directly into the outlet, which is a 20a outlet with 12ga wire on a 20a breaker. I just ran the circuit the other day in anticipation of picking this up. Unit will start to spin up, then trip the breaker after about 2-3 seconds. After some reading around here on SMC I think I may just need to get some ducting/hoses hooked up to the DC. I guess having no "load" on the unit while starting it up makes it work harder (ie, draw more amps)?? Seems backwards to me, but Im no expert.
Would anyone here know about the possibility of converting the motor to run on 220?

Myk Rian
09-06-2009, 4:51 PM
That unit should start and run on a 15 amp circuit. It could be the starting circuit in the motor not working. It works on centrifugal force.