PDA

View Full Version : Basement floor paint

Mac McQuinn
09-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Looking for ideas for painting the basement floor. Anything out there that's not too toxic and long lasting? Had some flooding in the spring due to plugged storm drains and want to get rid of residual water stains.

Mac

Stephen Tashiro
09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Can we assume you will be painting concrete? Has it already had sealer put on it?

Paul Ryan
09-03-2009, 9:14 AM
Mac,

Try the Rustoleum flooring epoxy paint. It works real well on garage floors and holds up well too. It can be colored but the standard color is grey and they throw in a bag of speckles that are sprinkled in it. I put a coat on my garage floor 7 years ago and it is still in good shape. It is simple to use just a good sweeping and start painting, I used a roller.

Maurice Ungaro
09-03-2009, 9:24 AM
+1 x 100 on the Rustoleum Epoxy Garage floor paint.
I've used it on a few different concrete floors with great success.

Mac McQuinn
09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, It is Concrete and there are no sealers, stains or existing paint on the surface. I'm concerned about toxins with epoxies, I do have three windows on the side of basement I want to paint although fumes tend to settle....:(

Mac

Michael Wetzel
09-03-2009, 7:35 PM
Use 2 fans, one pulling fresh air into the basement, one exhausting air out of the basement and keep the door at the stairs closed.

Jeff Monson
09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I tried a latex based concrete paint in our basement and it is junk, it is not durable at all. The 2 part epoxy systems work really well, just take the advice on using fans for a couple days and you are done, looks great and is extremely durable.

Dan Karachio
09-04-2009, 8:47 PM
Be careful to really make sure the floor is clean. I ended up power washing mine and used a mild acid solution that was recommended. Not sure if it made a difference, but two years later it still is holding up. Like anything with any type of paint product, prepping is the key. Disclaimer, I hate hate hate prepping and painting beyond all other chores!