PDA

View Full Version : Blood on the machine & pants & floor.

Bart Leetch
09-12-2004, 4:40 PM
I was not seriously injured. With the planer unplugged I was changing the blades when the wrench slipped & I banged the top of my right index finger between the nail & first joint down onto the newly sharpened blade. It was a small cut & my automatic reaction is direct pressure. Its just amazing how quick everything is & how much blood gets scattered about there must have been at least 10 or 12 big drops on the floor, machine & my pants.
Triple Antibiotic Ointment & 3 band-aids layered & back to installing the blades.

Carole Valentine
09-12-2004, 5:09 PM
Ouch! Imagine what it would be like to jam that finger into a running planer?:eek:

Glad it was a "bandaid" injury only.

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 6:07 PM
Fingers and just above the eye are wonderful locations to get cut...usually not much damage but you bleed like a stuck pig! 'Glad your OK, Bart. It's never fun to get hurt, no matter how small. (Trust me...I understand that fully after doing a few modifications to the dust collection duct work in the last week and a half...and I have metal duct)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-12-2004, 6:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the "boo-boo" Bart. Sounds like it could have been much worse than it was. What a trooper..................he bandaged it up, and went right back into the heat of battle................now, THAT'S A MAN! :D

That sheet metal will get ya every time Jim! ;) I imagine it is almost "Gloat Like" to mention that installed all of my new metal duct work with my Oneida and never got cut once.................that is a FIRST for me. Every time I work with sheet metal, I get tons of nicks, scrapes and slices....but not this time.............simply AMAZING. :D

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 8:07 PM
That sheet metal will get ya every time Jim!
I was twisting a 5" elbow into a different configuration and apparently "that one" had some sharp edges inside. They did a nice job on the ends of three fingers...almost like paper cuts. No blood. Just hurt. But I think I'm DONE with any DC duct modifications for awhile!

Bart's fingers sound a bit worse for the wear than I experienced, but my sympathy truely goes out...I hate it when fingers get whacked!

Paul Downes
09-13-2004, 6:28 PM
It's amazing how a little blood can look like a lot. Once while trailing a wounded deer for a friend, I commented that it shouldn’t be long looking at what I thought was a descent blood trail. He replied that the amount wasn’t much. A few years later while diving with the same friend in Lake Michigan, as we were attempting to pry out of the bottom of the lake a large flint nodule, my friend grabbed this sharp rock with his hand and slipped. I almost drowned trying to yell at him under water to stop. Too late. It’s good there aren’t sharks in the lake cause it sure looked like the red sea. I mean, wow, you should have seen the blood. I kept telling him that I now knew what a good blood trail should look like. You would think someone butchered a cow on the shore where he worked for a while. This was at an old Indian site and I kept telling him “you lookum like pale face”. He finally told me to shut up and take him to town to get painkillers and some bandages.

larry merlau
09-15-2004, 7:09 AM
2 weeks ago an aquantince of mine was changing out a blade on a radial arm saw, had done this many times in the past and was an expeiernced woodworker, well started it up and thew blade came loose of the arbor and proceded in his direction. slicing him open from just below the sternum to the top of his chest, the rescue people got ther in short order they flew him out to the hospital. got him patched up and was in stable condition then the parentinnice set in from puncuring his intestinal tract. he died sat eveing from the infection that set in from the accident. so we all should be aware of the nesscity of being safe and that we arent immune to worse than what has happened to the ones on here telling there stories. we all need to listen very well.