PDA

View Full Version : Stacked 10" blades on a SawStop

Paul Ryan
09-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Thought I would give this a try on my SS. I have always used 2 thin kerf blades stacked to cut dados for drawer bottoms, they cut a perfect size grove. I am making cabinets for a bath room and didn't know what the SS would think about 2 10" blades stacked. I didn't think it should be a problem because the dado cartridge is just more aluminum making it taller and wider to cover the size of the dado cutter. Anyway to make a long story short my PCS saw didn't care, it ran just fine with 2 stacked 10" blades.

Walt Caza
09-03-2009, 7:54 AM
Hi Paul,
I too have wondered about this...
I suspect the issue is not if it would run, but rather
how would it change things, in the event of a brake trigger?

If we say a single full kerf blade is about 1/8",
and we say a pair of thin kerf blades total about 3/16",
[3/32" + 3/32" = 3/16")
then we seem to be presenting an extra 50% blade to the
regular 10" diam brake cartridge.

Glad it worked fine for you and without incident.
Just for curiosity, I'd like to know SawStop's official position on it?

see you in the sawdust,
be well,
Walt

ps I have run the outside pair of 8" blades from my stacked dado set
many times, but that, of course, is with the dado cartridge.
A pair of thin tens sounds very useful!
(and no need to swap cartridges - saves a step)

Michael Peet
09-03-2009, 8:18 AM
At first I read it as Paul ran it with the dado cartridge, but now I'm not sure. Paul, can you clarify?

Walt Caza
09-03-2009, 8:24 AM
Hi Michael,
Not likely, as the dado cartridge accepts 8" diameter blades only?
(and the brake-gap adjustment mechanism lacks enough travel)
Paul's write-up did make it kinda seem that way, though...

I suspect he was saying that since the dado cart works with more than
one 8" blade, that perhaps the regular cart could work with more than one 10" blade?

Typing is a cumbersome way to explain these things!
I'm sure Paul will clarify for us,
Walt

Paul Ryan
09-03-2009, 9:02 AM
After reading it my self it is a little confusing. I used the stacked 10" blades with the regular brake cart. My thinking was that the only difference between the standard and dado cart. was width and the hight of the cartrige. Why wouldn't the standard work with 2 blades? I haven't called saw stop and I am sure if the brake were to fire it may have a harder time stopping 2 blades kenitic energy instead of one. But the 2 thin kerf dewalt blades I used weigh about the same as the single systimatic blade I normally run.

I tired the 2 cutters on my dado head first but they were 2 wide for the plywood bottoms, it was a very sloppy fit. So I measured the 2 10" and it is a perfect fit.