PDA

View Full Version : Resaw fence??

james susick
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey guys what is the best fence design for resawing tall 10" maple. I want to reasw 8/4 maple 10" wide to 3/32 veneers. I ride downhill longboards and want to make one from scratch. I know I can get the 1/16 veneer from a place or two but shipping is so much and that has been talked about on the forum. I have a 42" long 8/4 ready to go s4s. I have seen some guys use a tall wide fence and others told me to use a tall thin guide. I am using a General international 18" inch saw.

Darius Ferlas
09-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I never did resawing that tall, only 6" tall. I use an auxiliary fence, 5 3/4" tall, attached to the main fence (stock fence that came with my 14" General BS).

Stephen Edwards
09-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I use the Grizzly resaw fence that came with my BS. It's about 6 inches tall. Works like a charm. I've resawn 12" stock with it. You could rig up a resaw fence to attach to your BS fence or build one from plywood that clamps to the table.

Also, I've found that the doubled stacked feather boards available from Rockler are a very useful accessory for this operation. They keep the tall stock tightly against the fence, all the way to the top of the fence.

glenn bradley
09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I use a tall flat fence, adjust the saw to cut straight and set the fence straight also as opposed to re-adjusting for drift. The "knife edge" or pin style fence is really handy for cantankerous woods with wily grain that cause a lot of blade wandering during the cut. They act as an "on the fly" pivot point so you can adjust to follow a line while you make the cut. I don't have success making very accurate repeated cuts with this type of fence in that sort of material. For your thin repeated veneers I would use a tall flat fence and stacked featherboard(s). BTW, this is just my preferred method and may not turn out to be yours ;-)

james susick
09-03-2009, 9:19 AM
Glenn that is what I was looking to hear. I didn't know if I should use a "pin" style or a large flat fence.

Thanks Guys.