PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor bench of ash

Ken Werner
09-02-2009, 9:18 PM
I made a bench some time ago out of a spruce log, with poplar legs. After a few years with the bench continuously outdoors, I found myself on my uh, bottom, when the legs rotted out.

So yesterday, I began a replacement, out of an ash slab, with ash legs. I worked up quite a sweat hollowing and smoothing a concave top. I used a wooden scrub plane, scorps and my new LV pull shave [stealth gloat.] The only problem with the slab was a split on one end. An opportunity to try out a dovetail or butterfly key.

In the past, I've shaped the legs with a drawknife, but I was tired after shaping the top from rough to a mild concave surface, so I took the easier path and turned them. Unlike my son, I am a lousy turner. But at least the legs should be functional. The tenons are of different lengths because the slab has different thicknesses at the four places where the legs will go.

The rough surface in the first image is the bottom, but shows what kind of surface I started with. Not finished yet, but I should get the holes drilled for the legs in the next few days.

Tom Veatch
09-02-2009, 9:43 PM
A little late to comment, but, Ash as an outdoor wood?

I have a couple of hundred board feet of 4/4 rough cut ash that I left outdoors for a couple of years, well covered and protected, I thought. Anybody want some spalted ash - make that punky ash in far too many places.

Be that as it may, Ken, I like the look of what you've got there.

Ken Werner
09-02-2009, 9:49 PM
I dunno Tom, I'll let you know in a couple of years.....Thanks.

I have used ash in some outdoor items, and it has seemed to hold up ok, so far anyway. I got tired of the slab being in my way up in the attic where I air dry my wood, figured it was time to put it to use. Perhaps not the wisest choice, especially when shaping it. It was about that time that a pine top seemed appealing.

John Keeton
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
It is hard to beat ash for looks, Ken. I love the color and grain, and you have learned well from Ben on the lathe!

Looking at the underside, you and that scrub plane became close friends:eek: Good work, though, and nice work on the butterfly. Are you doing through wedged joints with the legs?

David Gendron
09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I think Ash is an ok wood for outdoor life, I use to build sleds(dog sleds) out of Ash and they lasted a long time! I assume you will give your banch some kind of "treatement" like BLO or something. I think you will be happy with the whole thing! As for the Tom spalted ash I think the problem might have been that the wood heated up under its covering. I had the same problem with some Beech wood that was left in its bark for a summer!
Anyway Ken will let us know if he end up on is bum in the next two years!!
BTW, nice looking banch Ken!

Ken Werner
09-03-2009, 6:59 AM
John, thanks, yes - through wedged tenons.

Dave Anderson NH
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Almost any wood is an outdoor wood it you use the right construction and finish. About 20 years ago SWMBO wanted an octoganal picnic table for the back yard and wanted it "NOW" without waiting for me to get out the roundtuits at some undetermined later date. After it was delivered the first thing I did was flip it upside down. Out came the Minwax Wood Hardener and a roll of masking tape. I built up a small dam of masking tape around the edges of each of the 6 legs and started pouring the stuff into the end grain of the legs. I kept pouring until it wouldn't absorb any more and then coated the outsides of the first foot of the legs. Only then did I stain the table and turn it right side up.

Now here in NH we get rain, sun, and having 2-3 feet of snow in the back yard isn't unusual for up to 3 months at a time. The table was finally retired and broken up about 4 years ago since the uppers had rotted and it was getting pretty ugly (with a capital ugh). I inspected the legs as I pulled it apart. There was no damage or rot at the bottom of the legs where it sat in contact with the ground all year around for 16 years. By the way, the wood was just normal construction grade Hem-Fir.

Ken Werner
09-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I put the legs in, wedged M&T. Last image shows where it'll spend its days.

Don Orr
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
That came out great Ken ! Nice job as usual.

I have a white oak slab that I have been waiting for some inspiration to finish for a while. I think I just found it !

John Keeton
09-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Great finish there, Ken!! Excellent work on those wedged thru tenons, and a beautiful setting. Well done, my friend!

David Gendron
09-04-2009, 5:44 PM
I like the different leg angles!