PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster Planers

Tony Bilello
09-02-2009, 9:14 PM
Anyone here familiar with Woodmaster 25" Planers? They are having a good sale and I am thinking about it.

James White
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi Tony,

My opinion is that you can not beat them for the price! Made in the USA and excellent customer service. Especially there recent prices.

I have the 25 and am pleased with it. It seems it is prone to snipe in this width model do to the light weight of the machine. This machine weighs in at around 600 lbs. The equivalent capacity machine from Grizzly is over 2000 lbs and cost 9k with no molding,drum sanding,gang riping capability. So at that price point and weight there is some compromise in rigidity. I have overcome this weakness by lessening the feed roller pressure which was causing the bed to flex. There are four feed rollers. I believe that they set and recommend too much feed roller pressure for liability reasons regarding kick back. I have not had any issues with this and am confident it will never happen. With just the first two rollers engaging the board. I can try with all my might to stop the board from feeding in to the machine and cant.

So if you think you will need the 25" width and drum sanding or molding ability and money is an issue. I say go for it. However if you could afford more robust separates. Then that is the way I would go. Always get the best you can afford. For me this machine does what it is supposed to on a budget.

James