PDA

View Full Version : Where to get prefinished ply???

Jason Strauss
09-02-2009, 8:36 PM
I might have a project lined up to do kitchen cabinets for my wife's uncle (my first paying gig). A number a threads on the Creek speak of prefinished ply - both BB and maple. My current line of inspiration comes from Matt Meiser's Kitchen Project going on over in the Projects area of the forum. If you haven't, you should check it out...he's flying!

Anyway, I'm VERY interested in using prefinished ply of some sort for case construction, but for the life of me, cannot find it anywhere. One of the two independant lumber yards in my area had no clue what I was talking about (this is the larger of the two), and the other quoted roughly $250 per sheet of maple from their cabinet supplier. I suspect the salesmen was just trying to push me toward just buying custom cabinets...

If anybody has a line on this stuff in NW Indiana or the Greater Chicago area, I would appreciated a shove in the right direction.

On the flip side, I'm not at the point where I can't be talked out of using the stuff; I just don't care to finish all those cases by hand. If anyone has some tips for finishing cases efficiently, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Buxton
09-02-2009, 8:41 PM
I can't help you with a source in your area, but I can tell you that $250 per sheet is out of line. My dealers sell it for roughly $20 more than unfinished.

Robert Reece
09-02-2009, 9:02 PM
Forget the lumber yards. You need to call hardwood dealers. They will have exactly what you need.
I think I pay around $65 or so for 3/4" maple prefinished both sides. It might be slightly higher than that, just can't remember right now.
Go to google maps (maps.google.com) and type in "hardwood near --your city--" and see what comes up. Replace --your city-- with wherever you live.
You might have to drive 50 miles or more to get this stuff, just depends how from out you live.

Dan Friedrichs
09-02-2009, 9:30 PM
I've seen wildly varrying prices for the exact same product. One local hardwood dealer wants $110/sheet for 3/4" birch UV-clear prefinished, and the other local dealer is running a special at $39/sheet.

Noah Katz
09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Jamie, who's your dealer?

Jamie Buxton
09-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Jamie, who's your dealer?

In the SF Bay area, you can buy prefinished at MacBeath or at Plywood and Lumber Sales. Both have yards in San Francisco, San Jose, and Berkeley/Oakland.

Fred Hargis
09-03-2009, 7:41 AM
Jason, if you ever get to the other side of IN, Frank Miller Lumber sells it in Union City. That would quite a drive for you, but might be worth it if you ever need several pieces.

Keith Christopher
09-03-2009, 8:00 AM
I had an issue with order plywood like that. The ones pricing it like that are pricing it that way because you don't want a palate of the stuff only a few sheets. I bet if you bought a palate of it you would get MUCH better pricing. Shop around, you may have to travel but it will be worth it in the long run.

Larry Fox
09-03-2009, 8:30 AM
You might be able to order it from Woodcraft with the usual storefront vig associated with it. I picked up a sheet the other day from my local Woodcraft and I think it was $109 per sheet. If you can find a plywood dealer they should definitely have it. I used 11 sheets for my kitchen and I recall it being ~$75.00 per sheet but I ahd to drive about an hour to get it. One thing I cna tell you for sure is that it is a teemendous time saver. Not having to maneuver a spray gun around inside of all the cabinet boxes is worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Matt Meiser
09-03-2009, 9:08 AM
We paid $65 for shop grade, which means there are some defects that I needed to work around. There weren't a ton, but sometimes I had to use the B-side or not use part of a sheet. And sometimes the defects are just scratches which won't be noticeable inside a dark lower cabinet.

Jason Strauss
09-03-2009, 9:26 AM
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll need to work just a little harder on the search. Surely, there's a plywood dealer in the greater Chicago area.

Mark Boyette
09-03-2009, 9:32 AM
it runs about $85 a sheet around cleveland but it's a real good grade ply. I think there is a Baer Supply distributor around IN. You could try them at
800-289-2237

Paul Cozzolino
09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Fh Premier Plywood in Elgin, IL has everything that you would need. They range from cheap to ultra expensive pending on how good of quality that you would need. Have it in stock also so you can look at it and pick what you need.

Fred Hargis
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll need to work just a little harder on the search. Surely, there's a plywood dealer in the greater Chicago area.
Another way would be to call Columbia Forest Products and ask what dealers there are in Chicago for their products. they made the stuff I've used in the past and it is first rate.

Larry Fox
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Another alternative is to hook up with a cabinet shop and piggyback on their order. The one I talked to when looking for the same was a little cagey until I made it clear that I was in no way competing with him. Once we got past that he was more than happy. I offered him a nominal per-sheet handling fee to compensate him for his trouble. I never ended up going that route because I found a place that did cash-and-carry with reasonable prices but it might work out for you.

John Harden
09-03-2009, 1:33 PM
For comparison purposes I think I paid about $65 or so for 5'X5' sheets of 1/2" BB ply with a laquer coating on both sides. Nice stuff and the laquer is hard wearing stuff. I built a large storage/assembly cart/outfeed table with drawers for my shop.

Regards,

John

Jason Strauss
09-03-2009, 2:04 PM
Fh Premier Plywood in Elgin, IL has everything that you would need. They range from cheap to ultra expensive pending on how good of quality that you would need. Have it in stock also so you can look at it and pick what you need.

You 'da Man, Paul! I just got off the phone with a guy over at FH Premier Plywood in Elgin and they've got exactly what I need! The gentleman on the phone was very friendly and more the happy to answer all my questions and then some. I'll be paying a visit to FH Premier real soon!

Noah Katz
09-04-2009, 3:20 PM
Great, thanks, Jamie

In the SF Bay area, you can buy prefinished at MacBeath or at Plywood and Lumber Sales. Both have yards in San Francisco, San Jose, and Berkeley/Oakland.

Russ Cass
09-04-2009, 5:56 PM
Fh Premier Plywood in Elgin, IL has everything that you would need. They range from cheap to ultra expensive pending on how good of quality that you would need. Have it in stock also so you can look at it and pick what you need.:eek: I live 15 miles from there and never knew the place existed.

Thanks for the tip!